2000 Mitsubishi Mirage Consumer Review: My favorite car (by a wide mar

2000 Mitsubishi Mirage - Consumer Review

DE Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

My favorite car (by a wide margin)!
By ilhavenese on

2000 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new & have owned it for 12 yrs. In that time it has had all regular maintenance done according to the owner's manual, & I've had 0 problems with it. The car drives as nice 12 years later as the day I bought it. I'm up to 133,000 miles & would drive this car anywhere in the country with confidence. I've owned a Galant (replaced the Galant; I wanted a manual transmission & Galants no longer came in them), Prelude, & currently also own a 1969 Mini Cooper (classic version as opposed to a new 1), & this is by far my favorite car to drive (even with the fun appeal that the Mini has). Of the cars I own, this 1 handles the best, is 100% reliable, & averages 40+ mpg.

manual transmission: I think this really helps the car & being able to shift means I don't ever feel like it's underpowered visibility: no major blind spots, very comfortable to drive/park; I know exactly where this car is on the road awesome handling: better than the Prelude/Galant, comparable with the classic Mini (which surprised me) no "minor" age problems: CD player, power windows/door locks, A/C, etc all still work "gold" color: garage kept so the paint is still great on it, & it hides the winter road salt & spring/summer dust/pollen I'm rather short & for some models I have trouble pushing the clutch all the way in even with the seat slammed all the way forward, but not in this 1

We run the brighter headlights, and they burn out more than I think they should (every couple years), but I think this is the aftermarket headlight manufacturer's fault as opposed to the car's. Replacing them is not hard. The tires that originally came with the car were the best for handling and coasting in neutral; I've had trouble getting the exact same Yokohamas in the U.S. to replace that 1st set.