Used 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mitsubishi Mirage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mirage model:

STILL GOING STRONG AFTER 13 YEARS
By kycat52

2000 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

I bought this Mirage new in February 2000, I've driven it for 13 years and it still gets 34 mpg. I drove it in Washington DC from Feb 2000 to Jun 2007, 76 miles a day, in heavy traffic and on the beltway. It got 40 mpg on the highway then. This car amazed local mechanics in that it has NO oil leaks, everything still works and all I have done is routine maintenance. In 2012, I had to put new struts all around and outer tie rod ends on both sides, other than that it has been routine maintenance. I plan to drive it until it is out of service. Then I'll probably buy another Mitsubishi to replace it.

Reliability!

Too old to suggest improvements.

My favorite car (by a wide margin)!
By ilhavenese

2000 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

I bought this car brand new & have owned it for 12 yrs. In that time it has had all regular maintenance done according to the owner's manual, & I've had 0 problems with it. The car drives as nice 12 years later as the day I bought it. I'm up to 133,000 miles & would drive this car anywhere in the country with confidence. I've owned a Galant (replaced the Galant; I wanted a manual transmission & Galants no longer came in them), Prelude, & currently also own a 1969 Mini Cooper (classic version as opposed to a new 1), & this is by far my favorite car to drive (even with the fun appeal that the Mini has). Of the cars I own, this 1 handles the best, is 100% reliable, & averages 40+ mpg.

manual transmission: I think this really helps the car & being able to shift means I don't ever feel like it's underpowered visibility: no major blind spots, very comfortable to drive/park; I know exactly where this car is on the road awesome handling: better than the Prelude/Galant, comparable with the classic Mini (which surprised me) no "minor" age problems: CD player, power windows/door locks, A/C, etc all still work "gold" color: garage kept so the paint is still great on it, & it hides the winter road salt & spring/summer dust/pollen I'm rather short & for some models I have trouble pushing the clutch all the way in even with the seat slammed all the way forward, but not in this 1

We run the brighter headlights, and they burn out more than I think they should (every couple years), but I think this is the aftermarket headlight manufacturer's fault as opposed to the car's. Replacing them is not hard. The tires that originally came with the car were the best for handling and coasting in neutral; I've had trouble getting the exact same Yokohamas in the U.S. to replace that 1st set.

I LOVE my car
By lalalaaa

2000 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

This car is awesome. I bought it used in 2008, it had 2 previous owners, one for a year or two and the other for about 6 years before i bought it. This thing is sturdy. I've hit things, I've been hit and it will not quit. I've got some pretty bad cosmetic damage. Like, really bad, but i just cant bring myself to give it up because i have not had any major mechanical issues. My mother has a much newer Mazda 6, that she has had both transmission and alternator issues with. The most serious thing i had to get replaced thus far is a bearing. I need to get my exhaust manifold replaced because it is making my car kinda loud, so that is next on the list, but i won't give this car up until I HAVE to

Really a good car
By excellent2

2000 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

Ive had my 2000 mitsubishi mirage for 6 yrs and and it has 267873 miles all ive ever done to it is change the oil and tranny fluid, put new tires and brakes this car is by far the best car ive ever had it is still runing strong it is better than my honda if this car ever goes under im buying another one.

More horse power

The red beauty
By richgroh

2000 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 4dr Sedan

Ive owned this car for almost 3 years now, it is automatic and i bought it as my very first car. Shes treats me well besides an a/c compressor gone bad at 110k and an alternator at 130k but you gotta expect those kind of things from a woman her age. When i first got her she had 100k miles and put me back only $1800. I work delivery, commute to college, have another job that is 13 miles away one way, redline her daily (the 1.8l beast roars at high rpms) and shes been totaled THREE TIMES (only once in my ownership) so you can tell she could take a beating. I only average around 23 MPG which isnt terrible considering my foot is rather heavy. Perfect for commuting, car is nothing exciting.

Now that i think about it...i really don't have any favorite features

Bring it back! More power Only average fuel economy Better handling