1998 Mitsubishi Mirage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mirage model:
Can't justify getting rid of it.
By kirk on 05/19/10 09:58 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 4dr Sedan

Have had my 98 for about 8 yrs. Averaged 34 mpg, and have seen 45 mpg on straight highway driving. Put on a cold air intake and now it sounds more throaty. Very reliable. Never been in the shop. Lots of room to work on engine. (it's smaller than some motorcycles engines). I always talk about the mileage. Why get a hybrid, is what I Wonder.

Mitsubishi 98
By DRV on 02/25/10 19:24 PM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 98 stock and i've never put a dime on it , only tires oil change and timing belt it has 160.000 miles and run like new . i take this little car everywhere and the gas is great 35 to 40 miles per gallons great car...

Lean, mean and green!
By gulati on 02/06/10 12:49 PM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Mirage LS 4dr Sedan

Our Mirage LS was exceptionally reliable. Like our previous Colt, not much more than routine maintenance, with tires and brakes lasting 60K. After 120K the car did loose some zip, maybe form diminished compression. And while fuel economy also declined, we could still obtain 35 mpg plus on the long trips.

Great Car! At an auction?? Cant be...
By Rita on 05/21/09 09:26 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this great little car at an auction a couple of months ago for about $1000. Couldn't believe the next day I cleaned it up and drove it! Ran great! Everything on it working and in tip top shape. Only had $129,000 miles on it. The gas mileage is great and the body looks really good. I ordered a spoiler and some euro lights for it and I'm going to put rims and tint the windows!! Very satisfied with this car.

Very Reliable
By Lfloyd on 04/10/09 10:25 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 4dr Sedan

The gas mileage is great. This makes it cheap to operate and it has never left me standing on the side of the road (knock on wood). I have done little more than upkeep type repairs. Changed the timing belt, engine seals, and routine oil changes.

MY BABY!
By Rachel on 08/23/08 17:44 PM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

This is my first car, I've had it for almost 5 years, no headaches yet!

A Little Work
By natrenslandss on 05/02/08 00:09 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

I would say after installing the a turbo oversized exhaust and a cold air intake it was fast light weight, mine has 160 hp now but still working on it. Great car all over I have love it.

I Am So Lucky :)
By Al on 10/12/06 11:54 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for my wife. She didn't like it, so I have been driving it for about two years. My other car is a '99 Camry. It is small but, that is what I like about it. I go everywhere, park anywhere, do not think about gas. Did I say it gets 30-33 MPG on average. Its color is white so it is seen by other drivers clearly, which is good for me. The only thing I did is change the timing belt and water pump. This car has never failed me.

Long-time owner
By Vince on 03/06/06 12:58 PM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Mirage LS 2dr Coupe

I purchased my Mirage LS new in May of 1998 and have enjoyed owning it ever since. My only regret is that Mitsubishi no longer manufactures the Mirage. I now have 120,000 miles on it and other than routine maintenance it has not cost me a dime. The highway mileage has never been less than 32 miles per gallon. It has been a great little car.

1998 Mirage DE
By Gabriel on 06/29/05 13:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 4dr Sedan

The Mirage is extremely reliable car. I have over 97,000 miles on my car and have not had a single major mechanical problem, except for the poor quality brakes that came from the factory. I've kept up with the scheduled maintenance of the car and engine, transmission, a/c still run perfectly. My only complaint was the very cheap radio that came with the car. (It stopped working when the car was only a year old).