1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage - Consumer Reviews

1997 Mirage Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mirage model:

Sort Reviews by

Great little short trip car
By Bluey

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car for 2.5 years putting 26.5K miles on it. It's fun to drive and has great go up a go response from the engine. Manual shifter a bit stiff when cold but clutch is light. Doesn't break well on wet or icey roads and tends to spin front wheels if you accelerate too much from a standstill. Seats are uncomfortable and cabin doesn't ventilate well resulting in being too hot in Summer and fogging the windows in Winter. Had to replace distributor costing over USD900! Otherwise never had a mech. issue and get 41+MPG on highway and 38MPG city driving. Would highly recommend to young, cost concious driver who wants fun and cheap combined.

Favorite Features

Performance. Styling. Trunk space. Fuel economy. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Make cheaper to repair. Better seats and cabin ventilation. Better handling on corners as rolls too much. Smoother gear shift.

97 DE Coupe
By miabear419

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

Very affordable program car.Ran great and was perfect for me.Uncomfortable on long trips. After about 4 years the cupholder started to break, and the carpeting on the passenger side started to come up.InOct 02 to have the car checked b/c of a recall part. It got a clean bill of health. The very next week, the whole engine fell apart due to loss of the main pulley (the recall part)At first dealer wanted to charge $800+ to fix the car b/c it had been inspected and declared o.k. but after lawyer threats, they fixed at no charge very courteously. I loved the car, but there are more better-quality affordable cars in the same class;I won't buy another Mitsu.

Favorite Features

Sporty look, fuel economy, go-cartish ride, easy to drive, low maintenance

Suggested Improvements

Better quality engine, more powerful acceleration, vacuum friendly carpets that STAY GLUED to the floor, better resale value. It sucks when you owe more than the car is worth w/ 20% downpayment and reasonable interest rates

great car
By bluegrandma

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage LS 2dr Coupe

Reliable-given preventive maintainence. Many highway miles in comfort with good gas mileage. Handles well in all areas, Mountains, etc. Sluggish on acceleration when a/c on. Would buy another one.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Larger cup holders. More easily accessible spark plugs.

"Happy with my Blacky"
By mimil3

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage LS 4dr Sedan

I have this car since brand new and all i can say about it is that I LOVE IT,I LOVE IT,I LOVE IT!!! very reliable,only have changed tires,brakes and battery .Just got to the100,000 miles party and the baby is still going strong as day one.I also have a 2000 vw gti,glx,vr6 that i bought brand new and paid $22,000 for it and let me tell ya,its been nothing but a very costly NIGHTMARE!!! and its only 3 years old!! Iam going to trade that thing for an suv very shortly,but,guess who's staying with me for ever? my little mirage (blacky) of course!!!

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage,cute style,very roomy (iam 6'3")even for people in the back seat,large trunk for its size,good stereo system,ice cold ac that still works like new,big glove comp.

Suggested Improvements

Came with ugly interiors.But i hope that has been corrected for the newer models.

Great commuter
By flaco_dan

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 5 years ago because, for the price, it's performance and drivability were unbeatable. It has excellent manuverability, parks in small spots with ease and has been absolutely reliable - I have only had to replace the battery and tires.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Despite the fact that I haven't followed the suggested maintenance schedule, it has NEVER delivered less than 38 MPG combined (about 50% highway miles). That is amazing to me. Large trunk for such a small car.

Suggested Improvements

When it's very cold, the interior driver's door lock can be hard to lock. Seat coverings are marginal.

Nice ride
By miragebored

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage LS 2dr Coupe

I just got rid of my 97 mirage (Went to 2002 Camry V6), but the Mirage was a great car to me. I never had any major work, except for brake replacement (One of my rotors froze) and I had good success. The car steered and handled very well, but I went through seats to the tune of every 30K. But they replaced them every time they wore through (I am over 300#). I loved the easy to drive transmission, good acceleration (Best in its class in '97) and the long trip comfort. It was actually more comfortable on long trips then the Camry, but it was a lot louder and harder to handle.

Favorite Features

Comfort, easy to drive, nice cornering and sharp looks. Decent trunk, and good looks.

Suggested Improvements

Ugly interior colors, cheap quality interior stuff, and brake issues, the brakes weren't big enough for the car, so they overheated easily burning off pads and warping rotors.

Awesome
By K.T.

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage LS 2dr Coupe

I bought this vehicle from an auto auction, just to commute back and forth to work. So far, it's been very reliable, and good to me. I bouth real cheap, and it's like it just run like a new one, I'm surprise it doesn't smoke, even at 138k miles, knowing Mitsubishi for smoking at hight mileage. The only bad thing about this car it the resale value, so if you buy one, just drive it till it drops.

Favorite Features

The the body style,Audio system, and A/C

Suggested Improvements

More power to be able to compete with Honda civic.

could be better
By i gotta mirage

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 4dr Sedan

for the money... the car could be better. not just a bit but a lot more.

Favorite Features

the squeaky sound the breaks make

Suggested Improvements

the whole car in general. interior and exterior

Overlooked Little Gem
By bilt4_speed

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

1.5 engine in DE needs valve adjustments every 15k miles. Tight, rattle-free after 51K miles. Very reliable, engine much peppier than it was in 94 Mirage. Too bad salesman & service personnel do not remind people about the 1.5 needing valve adjustment.

Favorite Features

Peppy above 2500 RPM, tight body with no rattles, quiet for small car, if you baargain hard the Mfirage can be a lot of car for the $$$

Suggested Improvements

Have cylinder leakage test performed before buying DE Mirage used to make sure owner had valves adjusted