1997 Mitsubishi Mirage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mirage model:
Great little short trip car
By Bluey on 05/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car for 2.5 years putting 26.5K miles on it. It's fun to drive and has great go up a go response from the engine. Manual shifter a bit stiff when cold but clutch is light. Doesn't break well on wet or icey roads and tends to spin front wheels if you accelerate too much from a standstill. Seats are uncomfortable and cabin doesn't ventilate well resulting in being too hot in Summer and fogging the windows in Winter. Had to replace distributor costing over USD900! Otherwise never had a mech. issue and get 41+MPG on highway and 38MPG city driving. Would highly recommend to young, cost concious driver who wants fun and cheap combined.

97 DE Coupe
By miabear419 on 04/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

Very affordable program car.Ran great and was perfect for me.Uncomfortable on long trips. After about 4 years the cupholder started to break, and the carpeting on the passenger side started to come up.InOct 02 to have the car checked b/c of a recall part. It got a clean bill of health. The very next week, the whole engine fell apart due to loss of the main pulley (the recall part)At first dealer wanted to charge $800+ to fix the car b/c it had been inspected and declared o.k. but after lawyer threats, they fixed at no charge very courteously. I loved the car, but there are more better-quality affordable cars in the same class;I won't buy another Mitsu.

great car
By bluegrandma on 03/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage LS 2dr Coupe

Reliable-given preventive maintainence. Many highway miles in comfort with good gas mileage. Handles well in all areas, Mountains, etc. Sluggish on acceleration when a/c on. Would buy another one.

"Happy with my Blacky"
By mimil3 on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage LS 4dr Sedan

I have this car since brand new and all i can say about it is that I LOVE IT,I LOVE IT,I LOVE IT!!! very reliable,only have changed tires,brakes and battery .Just got to the100,000 miles party and the baby is still going strong as day one.I also have a 2000 vw gti,glx,vr6 that i bought brand new and paid $22,000 for it and let me tell ya,its been nothing but a very costly NIGHTMARE!!! and its only 3 years old!! Iam going to trade that thing for an suv very shortly,but,guess who's staying with me for ever? my little mirage (blacky) of course!!!

Great commuter
By flaco_dan on 02/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 5 years ago because, for the price, it's performance and drivability were unbeatable. It has excellent manuverability, parks in small spots with ease and has been absolutely reliable - I have only had to replace the battery and tires.

Nice ride
By miragebored on 12/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage LS 2dr Coupe

I just got rid of my 97 mirage (Went to 2002 Camry V6), but the Mirage was a great car to me. I never had any major work, except for brake replacement (One of my rotors froze) and I had good success. The car steered and handled very well, but I went through seats to the tune of every 30K. But they replaced them every time they wore through (I am over 300#). I loved the easy to drive transmission, good acceleration (Best in its class in '97) and the long trip comfort. It was actually more comfortable on long trips then the Camry, but it was a lot louder and harder to handle.

Awesome
By K.T. on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage LS 2dr Coupe

I bought this vehicle from an auto auction, just to commute back and forth to work. So far, it's been very reliable, and good to me. I bouth real cheap, and it's like it just run like a new one, I'm surprise it doesn't smoke, even at 138k miles, knowing Mitsubishi for smoking at hight mileage. The only bad thing about this car it the resale value, so if you buy one, just drive it till it drops.

could be better
By i gotta mirage on 10/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 4dr Sedan

for the money... the car could be better. not just a bit but a lot more.

Overlooked Little Gem
By bilt4_speed on 04/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

1.5 engine in DE needs valve adjustments every 15k miles. Tight, rattle-free after 51K miles. Very reliable, engine much peppier than it was in 94 Mirage. Too bad salesman & service personnel do not remind people about the 1.5 needing valve adjustment.