1997 Mitsubishi Mirage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mirage model:
A car that keeps going....
By Anita on 01/18/09 17:52 PM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

I purchased a 97 Mirage right off the show room in 97. I had one accident where she hit me 3 times on the passenger side and the car took a beating and it keeps ticking. I replace the door and the front end, had it repainted and fix the dent near the gas tank. My car still looks good. This car paid for itself 10 times over. I love this car!

Dam good economy car
By cbwillsr on 07/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for 7 years and placed almost 200000 miles on it with no engine complications. I have only replaced a fuel filter, battery and brakes during this time. The car has started every time i have cranked it up.

Street show car
By ducatti_2000 on 05/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

This car is awsome. With little modifications to it it handles like the lancer. Fuel economy is great. The car is really light so for its power it accelerates great. Over all an awsome car.

a very reliable car
By sounak on 10/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

i bought my mitsubishi mirage car on june 2002. it is a wonderfull car. excellent in gas economy, fun to derive, zero maintenance cost. i am very haapy with it.

This little car just won't die...
By GrayVA on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

We purchased a 1991 Mirage DE Coupe for our daughter for her 16th birthday. The car was used with over 70,000 miles on it. Our daughter is less than good with maintenance but this little gem doesn't care. The Mirage now has over 102,000 miles on it without a single repair! I can't believe this little car just keeps humming along. This was our first experience with Mitsubishi and I must say I am IMPRESSED!

Great little short trip car
By Bluey on 05/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car for 2.5 years putting 26.5K miles on it. It's fun to drive and has great go up a go response from the engine. Manual shifter a bit stiff when cold but clutch is light. Doesn't break well on wet or icey roads and tends to spin front wheels if you accelerate too much from a standstill. Seats are uncomfortable and cabin doesn't ventilate well resulting in being too hot in Summer and fogging the windows in Winter. Had to replace distributor costing over USD900! Otherwise never had a mech. issue and get 41+MPG on highway and 38MPG city driving. Would highly recommend to young, cost concious driver who wants fun and cheap combined.

97 DE Coupe
By miabear419 on 04/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

Very affordable program car.Ran great and was perfect for me.Uncomfortable on long trips. After about 4 years the cupholder started to break, and the carpeting on the passenger side started to come up.InOct 02 to have the car checked b/c of a recall part. It got a clean bill of health. The very next week, the whole engine fell apart due to loss of the main pulley (the recall part)At first dealer wanted to charge $800+ to fix the car b/c it had been inspected and declared o.k. but after lawyer threats, they fixed at no charge very courteously. I loved the car, but there are more better-quality affordable cars in the same class;I won't buy another Mitsu.

Great commuter
By flaco_dan on 02/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 5 years ago because, for the price, it's performance and drivability were unbeatable. It has excellent manuverability, parks in small spots with ease and has been absolutely reliable - I have only had to replace the battery and tires.

Overlooked Little Gem
By bilt4_speed on 04/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 2dr Coupe

1.5 engine in DE needs valve adjustments every 15k miles. Tight, rattle-free after 51K miles. Very reliable, engine much peppier than it was in 94 Mirage. Too bad salesman & service personnel do not remind people about the 1.5 needing valve adjustment.