2011 Mitsubishi Lancer DE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mitsubishi Lancer - Consumer Reviews

2011 Lancer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:

Sort Reviews by

Pros and Cons
By jacks74

2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This was my first brand new car. A couple months into purchasing it, I had an issue starting it. I took it in and they said that it was a computer glitch with my line of car and that they couldn't fix and to press on the gas to start it when it happens. Currently battling the dealership with that but looking at others comments, it seems it'll likely always do this. Other than that I love it. I would be more satisfied if the dealership could fix the starting issue. I wish I would have purchased it used because the used price of the car would definitely be worth it.

Favorite Features

Steering controls, seats, the amount of room

Suggested Improvements

Can be noisy if you hear it running from outside the car, lurches forward when switching from reverse to drive occasionally

CVT will be an issue.
By tourqemada

2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

About 30k on the 2011 Lancer now, the CVT tranny is noisy and jerky when cold, like it is slipping and catching. The power steering is making an unpleasant noise now as well. The headliner makes a buzzing noise when the road is smooth, worse when there are bumps in the road. We have noticed from A-holes in parking lots that there are no protective side moldings on the doors so we have a couple nasty dings in them now. There is a huge delay when operating the HVAC controls, dangerous when you are trying to clear the fog from the windshield. We have found that there are times when the car turns over but does not start right away, takes a few tries. Our last 2001 Lancer was better imo.

Favorite Features

Gas sipper, handles corners like Godzilla handles Tokyo, top speed higher than I can find a road to stretch it out on. Looks like its psst off, super mean body lines.

Suggested Improvements

Body side moldings, fix tranny shudder when cold.

Loved at first...
By carbuyer345

2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my 2011 Lancer in 2012,and it now has 13,000 miles on it. I loved the car at first..The CVT takes some time to get used to, makes some interesting noises and lacks the power I would have liked. 3 months after getting the car, I started having issues with the car not starting. It would try and turn over and after about 3 tries, it finally would start..barely. I took it to the dealership and they said they couldn't help since it wouldn't do it while there. Around the same time as the starting issues happened, the car started to make a creaking noise when turning into parking spaces, streets, etc. Took it to the dealership and they told me the same thing. I am looking for a new car.

Favorite Features

Technology features, can't lock keys in car, bluetooth, satellite radio.

Sleeper
By venster

2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

CVT takes some time to get used to. Has its quirks but helps with the mpg. I bought the car for an economical commuter which it does beautifully. Averaging 35mpg on my commute-80%highway. Interior is decent-alot of plastic but mitsubishi pulls it off. Exterior styling is nice. Handles well. It's not a BMW, nor does it cost as much.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, fuel economy, Fuse activation

Suggested Improvements

Interior plastics could be better.

Rally Red Lancer GTS CVT
By skater69

2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan GTS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

CVT takes a little getting used to. It's much quicker using the paddle shifters or manual mode if you want to jet off the line. I put a Takeda SRI intake-cheap/easy mod and it wakes it up a little bit/sounds great The GTS handles extremely well. It really does feel like a sport sedan in the curves and it's fun to use the paddles on the back roads. Steering is great. Cruises effortlessly on the freeway at 80+. Seats are very comfortable. Interior is nice if not spectacular. My only gripe with my GTS is I find the gas pedal angle kind of uncomfortable. It's too short or something. I got some larger RAZO aftermaket pedals which I'll be installing soon to help alleviate.

Favorite Features

Looks (18" wheels, sticky tires), paddle shifters, seats, warranty, Mitsu reliability (my Dad had 170K trouble free miles on his 3000GT VR-4), bluetooth, price (got a left over '2011 in 2012 heavily discounted).

Suggested Improvements

Instead of an mp3 direct aux input, there are VCA cables inputs so you need to buy an adapter to play your mp3 player. Not really an "improvement" but if you buy this car you will hear the road...especially on the freeway. The tires are noisy and the suspension is sport-tuned. Ride is firm but not harsh.

Lancer CVT is really weird
By mitsumistake

2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought a Lancer SX recently and have clocked 1600km and the CVT has behaved very strangely from day one. It lurches about dramatically especially when cold. Taking foot off accelerator produces sudden jolts, sometimes quite violently, and it then seems to want to brake on its own and slows down rapidly while coasting. Braking often produces a sensation like the car is fighting against the braking and wanting to surge forward. This is the weirdest drive I've ever had and have had no support from Mistubishi - the first 1500km service last week I gave the dealer a very concise report on this problem, and they had the car for TWO DAYS. They said the problem was fixed, but it has not.

Favorite Features

Safety features seem really good, and the overall dash layout simple but functional. Driving position comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Stop with the CVT idea unless Mitsu can make it work properly

EVO-light
By go4broke89

2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

The lancer ES CVT is an EVO look-alike with average capabilities. It comes with almost everything you need for the daily commute and has some room for the occasional spirited driving. The limited trunk space gives room for 3 laundry baskets. Rear seat room is decent. Car feels heavier, yet agile and nimble. Responsive engine sounds good, but CVT is loud and leaves you wanting/wishing for more. Acceleration is average. Handling and suspension is above average: light and neutral with quick turn-in. Understeer can be dangerous when entering corners too fast. Fuel economy is average, combined 30mpg +/-2.

Favorite Features

price: competitively priced vs civic and corolla stiff suspension: great for moderate cornering fun and handles well under spirited driving. strong engine: nice tuning gives a sporty feel. nice body: it's a looker. well-equipped/standard features: stability/traction control, electric brake distribution, electric power steering. minor details: car welcomes you everytime and the small details that nobody else thinks of.

Suggested Improvements

desperately needs: improvement on exterior paint quality and interior noise reduction, standard 4 disc brakes on lower trims, standard alloy wheels, and better quality plastics on interior. While driving in windy and snowy conditions, the car feels unstable and ill-equipped to handle such conditions. It gets tossed around in the wind and requires constant monitoring and adjustments at the wheel. This can be tiresome. In the snow, the vehicle doesn't feel planted to the ground, rather light and "floaty"

In love with this car.
By johnny1apples

2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan GTS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

This car is everything I wanted since the 2008 Lancer's came out. I have a 2011, and it makes me super happy to finally drive one! It is mean looking, and aggressive. For being completely stock, I have won plenty of races, and my car is still stock. So if you want a car that is great on gas, relatively cheap, amazing looks on the inside and out, and can go quick for stock, I'd highly recommend either the GTS, or the Ralliart.

Favorite Features

Alarm system. 16' alloy wheels. Didn't come with a spoiler which is awesome. Safety is a plus! Looks are breath taking, even at car shows.

Suggested Improvements

Turbocharger in all models besides Ralliart.

Transmission problem
By wheresmycar1

2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan Ralliart 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Well I bought my Ralliart this sunday and we first drove it on monday afternoon. Four hours after our drive home from the dealership and adding just 40 miles to the car, the transmission was gone. The best part is that it was in our driveway when the transmission failed. We had the car towed and brought back to the dealership. Now they want to totally replace the transmission on the brand spanking new car. Mitsubishi is giving us problems just an all around unpleasant experience and now its a couple days later and have no word on whats going on.

Favorite Features

The engine speed

Suggested Improvements

Maybe do a secondary check of the vehicle before giving it to the customer and having it shut down.

Two Mitsubishi family.
By joew6969

2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan GTS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

My wife and I just purchased our second 2011 Lancer GTS on August 5, 2011. The 1st was hers and has all the goodies in the Touring and Chrome packages. Mine just has ALL the standard features of the GTS. Mine is Rallye Red with black cloth interior. It has everything I want in a car without add-ons I do not like. Very comfortable riding car, lots of interior room, I am 6'2" and have more than enough room in ALL of the seats.

Favorite Features

Ride, roominess, raised spoiler, USB port, good sounding AM/FM, 6 disc MP3, 6 speaker sound system w/USB port and FUSE hands free system, 18" wheels w/Dunlop tires, build quality, warranty (better than Hyundai).

Suggested Improvements

Make satellite radio standard on the GTS model.