2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:
Amazing vehicle
By sedanfanman on 07/01/13 10:25 AM (PDT)

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES-Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2009 Mitsu Lancer ES back in July 2009 and 70K+ miles later, I still love it! I looked at similar vehicles while shopping but fell in love with the handling, performance, and value of this car. I've taken very good care of it and haven't had a single engine problem. My one complaint is the paint. Due to a design flaw there is an unusual amount of paint wear on the side skirts near the rear wheels. Countless chips all over the hood (which, yes, happens. But there is a lot more than normal). One time, while washing the car, I was scrubbing off a dead bug and a decent size paint chip came off with it! That should not happen! Regardless, I'd still recommend this car to everyone!

One of the worst cars ever
By bolshevik on 03/26/13 08:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan DE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car used with little mileage, after a few months I've had to put around a thousand dollars in fixes to it. I had to clean the engine because it was clogged, it has instability problems when accelerating over 60 miles (it vibrates), I had to replace a valve and some other engine internals because they were damaged, had to do injection system cleaning, and the worst of all I have to add oil to it on a constant basis because it just simply consumes a ridiculous amount of oil. My other car a Toyota Yaris 2008 has over 115K (I drive it hard and a lot) and I haven't spent a SINGLE DOLLAR except on the normal oil and tire maintenance which I do by the book.

Bought in 2008 as new, and it's still drives like new
By yokohomme on 08/31/12 19:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought it new from MT dealer in 2008. Mine is 09 model es, and it's extremely reliable daily commute car. I personally think this car is way cheaper and better than competitive model Civic and Corolla. My car has put 82,000 miles and never had any single problems. Brakes and tires are very sturdy because I have neven replaced brakes still today.

Almost 3 years going ...thats a record
By loanshark_08 on 04/14/12 11:18 AM (PDT)

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES-Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I must say this car is worth my money so far. Most American cars I buy are usually in the shop more than I get to drive then trade them in and become upside down. In July it will be year 3 and that is the longest I have owned a car. This car gets me all over Texas as well as a daily commuter. The only negative I can say is it randomly won't start but then will fire right up. I thought it was a fuel filter but much to my surprise this car only has one in the fuel pump in the gas tank? Upgraded the sound system and w/ Bluetooth makes it one awesome lil car.

2009 Lancer GTS reliability
By goreyno88 on 01/24/12 08:44 AM (PST)

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan GTS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2009 Lancer GTS in July 2009, it was running good until it reaches 39700K miles and my clutch just gave up. I took my Lancer to El Cajon Mitsubishi and was told that my plywheel was worn out due to a regular wear and tear. So I ask if it is still covered by warranty but the service advisor said it is not covered by the powertrain warranty since it is not part of the powertrain. So I have no choice except to pay $ 1,700 to replace the clutch plywheel. I have a 1996 Honda Accord but I have never had a transmission problem since I bought it. I would strongly recommend to consumer Look at Honda first before going to Mitsubishi.

Fun and Good Value
By mross77 on 01/17/12 22:56 PM (PST)

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan GTS 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 07/08 (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2009 GTS used about six months ago and am really enjoying it so far. The 5 speed stick has plenty of power and is quite quick. Handling is very surefooted with little body lean and poised direction changes. Braking with the 4 wheel discs is excellent. Quick, short stops, zero fade and pretty good pedal feel. I would recommend the Sun and Sound package as the Rockford Fosgate stereo alone is well worth the money - far and away the best sound in any vehicle I've owned. I get 22 or 23 mpg around town and 31 on longer trips - not awesome but certainly respectable. Nice roominess front and back for a smaller car and good ability to carry lots of stuff.

Sporty & Fun
By dinger82 on 12/14/11 14:56 PM (PST)

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan GTS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My wife & I bought this car in new 2008. The 2.4L has plenty of power, and we see great MPG Avg 30 or more most of the time.

Mitsubishi Lancer Paint Issues
By asharobinson on 11/15/11 07:24 AM (PST)

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES-Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I was initially overjoyed with my purchase of a 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer but soon noticed thousands of chips in the exterior paint. I first contacted my insurance company who said that it was a manufacturer defect and will be covered by warranty. Agreeing because of the large number of chips, I reviewed my warranty booklet and followed protocol. When the service manager shared that corporate has been choosing to ignore the paint issue I began looking further into it online. I was not alone. Mitsubishi responded taking no responsibility for the defective paint. I've also had issues with starting the vehicle which Mitsubishi blamed on the quality of gas.

Great car! with a couple gripes
By ajkassay on 11/12/11 11:34 AM (PST)

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES-Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I got this car used almost 2 years ago with 12k miles. now, with 35k miles, its still great. haven't had a single issue with it yet. gas mileage isn't the best, but it's fine. driving this car is great, the confident handling makes this car pleasing to drive. I just wish the engine had just a bit more power, and a little more quiet, but it gets the job done. I also love the interior and the rockford fosgate sound system, it's one of the things that make this car such a great value. However, my biggest complaint is the paint. It's terrible! It scratches very easily, which gets frustrating over time. And since i live in a hot climate, im worried about the suns toll on the paint.

Best Choice Under 20K
By driveboston on 11/04/11 11:49 AM (PDT)

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan GTS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I've owned this car for 2 years and 4 months, and have put 40k miles on it, so I feel it's kind of safe to say I made a wise choice that picked this car from this price range and bought it. Driving experience is very sporty. I espacially like the steering wheel which is tight enough and very accurate (hard to find on other cars I tried under 20k). Reliability is excellent, zero problem since I bought it and all I need is oil change every 3 months. Interior is no fancy leather seat or luxury things, but you can clearly feel Mitsubishi put the money saved here into things you don't see under engine hood. Overall this car is not comparable to bmw or infiniti, but best choice under 20k IMO.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan in NJ is:

$220 per month*