2008 Mitsubishi Lancer DE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer - Consumer Reviews

2008 Lancer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:

Sort Reviews by

Soured On Mitsubishi By This Car, Money Pit
By pxabstraction

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan GTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this at 2 years old with 30,000Km. Now has 80,000Km, 5 years old and I'm selling it. Pros: Good mileage, comfortable, everything still works. Cons: CVT autos are HORRIBLE. Transmission is lazy and car is gutless. Engine is noisy. Chewed through 3 sets of 18" tires. Transmission cooler had to be replaced at 80,000Km, $1,500, should have lasted years more. Rear suspension needed $1,000 of work last year, also should have lasted longer. TMPS system cannot be disabled, does not show which tire is down, cannot remember more than one set of tires, constant paint chips, awful service. Car is a lemon. Very displeased. Will not buy Mitsubishi again.

Favorite Features

Stereo is great (I'll miss the factory subwoofer) and the Bluetooth and voice control are very good. Power moon roof is a blast in the Summer Interior design means the car is comfortable for tall people like me, even though it's small. The multi-display unit in the dash is fantastic and if you're a stat nerd like me who's obsessed with your mileage, it gives a ton of great information on that front. Transmission has a fake tiptronic mode that simulates manually shifting through 6 gears and has paddle shifters. It's fun when you're on an isolated, bendy road or want assistance stopping quickly.

Suggested Improvements

-Either improve (i.e. overhaul) the design of the CVT auto or dump it. -Change the AUX in on the stereo from RCA to a 3.5mm headphone jack like every other manufacturer. Seriously, what were they thinking with this?! -Allow TPMS unit to be disabled, user reset or at least allow it to remember more than one set of sensors at a time so winter tire users don't have to spend $100 at a dealer twice a year. At the very least, have it say which bloody tire is down! You've got an LCD screen in the dash! -Have Mitsubishi Canada "customer service" actually pick up the phone when people call and return repeated voice mails. Worst service I've ever had from a car manufacturer.

5 Year Review 2008 GTS
By mba0006

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan GTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I've owned my Mitsu for 5 years now. I am trading it in for a '13 Charger b/c I can afford one now. This was a great car! The 150 hp engine felt more along the lines of mid 200's. The cvt transmission is a bit sluggish in the low RPMs but the lancer is a fun car to drive. I am 6-2 and 200lbs. I felt comfortable in the lancer. The back seats were okay, very wide but not much leg room. The GTS is very sporty. The Rocksford sound is great! If youre expecting it to be like the Evo you will be disappointed, but the lancer is still fun to drive and has a practicle MPG and cost. Exterior noise was the one complaint (hwy speeds are noisy) but the RF sound can drown it out ;) For the price range A+

Favorite Features

- Rocksford Fosgate Sound! - 18" Wheels - Handling performance for a FWD - Visually appealing - I get 28-32 mpg on HWY - never had any major issues - low cost to maintain (non prem gas, normal oil) - Leather wrapped steering wheel - Paddle Shifters!(GTS Model) - Comfortable even for tall people - Sunroof

Suggested Improvements

- CVT... Slowwww - Loud hwy noise - Cheaper plastics in certain places (get what you pay for I guess) - Gas millage could be better in the city for a 2.0L - leg room in the back (only when the driver has the seat all the way back) if you're 5- something you wont have this problem.

Just to let you know about some issues...
By fdlbym

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

In a nut shell, if you're not impressed with the exterior design, just don't spent time looking at this one. Mileage is okay but not the best (low thirties on highway). Handling is good for its class but you can find other cars handles as good if not better (Mazda3). Leg room in second row is one of the best but is it that important? When it comes to shortfalls the list is longer; Engine noise is something to pay attention. Interior plastics are not better than what you would find on vacuum cleaner (similar to previous generation US cars). Together with weak engine, CVT makes you feel dead.

Favorite Features

It's look. Standard safety features are better than most others (ABS, 4 wheel disc break, 7 airbags)

Suggested Improvements

Better isolation for engine noise. Improve material quality (everywhere, from ac nobs to sun visor)

Best car I have ever owned
By jgskains

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan GTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Although the it didn't have the horsepower I was looking for, it more than made up for it in every other aspect. It was more comfortable than other cars in its class. It was quick, fun, and handled like a dream. It never gave me any trouble and aside from the color I got stuck with I had no regrets. I don't recommend the automatic transmission I read lots of complaints about a lack of power. But my 5 speed had plenty of power. In the end it proved itself to be extremely safe. After hitting a retaining wall and rolling mine 3 times I walked away with out injury. I love this car and I will miss this car. Eventually I will come back to this car.

Favorite Features

***Handling*** * Fuel mileage never lower than 25 and as high as 33 * Reliability * Temperature controlled A/C * Ability to lock the doors with the doors open. * No trunk arms coming down into the storage space. * Bluetooth on the steering wheel * Comfort, the most comfortable car I have owned even on long trips and in the back. * Plenty of room front and back * Purchase price and cost of ownership * Backseat comfortable even for me @ 6' 1"

Suggested Improvements

I would really love a RWD version or AWD (without the high price tag).

You get what you pay for I guess
By rwilliams148

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan GTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have had my 2008 Lancer GTS for almost two years now. At first it was great but at 61,000 miles trouble started. My blower motor has already went out and we just recently moved and now have a gravel road. I have dust coming inside the car from my glove box, all vents, my cd player, my steering wheel column, and all the doors. I contacted Mitsubishi about this and they will not do anything. It is a nice looking car but very cheaply made. My alignment has been fixed now 8 times (and I drive normally just more than most people). The steering wheel has started shaking extremely bad but the no one can seem to tell me why. Because of these reasons, I will not purchase another Mitsubishi.

Favorite Features

Exterior, Sound System

Suggested Improvements

Improve your customer service. Improve the interior, the felt material is horrible and the carpet is even worse

Should have read here first
By Nebraska

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan GTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Why oh why did I not check here first! This car is a joke; my kids RC car has more power and is in all likelihood more comfortable. For God's sake what is in the console armrest - concrete? Cause there sure as hell is not padding. If, and it is a big "IF" this car had ANY redeeming qualities it would be the mileage, but who cares about mileage at the great expense of power. If you plan on passing anyone, make sure they are either riding a bicycle (and it better not be Lance Armstrong) or they are a little old lady on a motorized cart, other than that, you'll never make it. Had the car for 9-months and I will never get those 9-mos back.

Favorite Features

Does the day I got rid of it count as a favorite feature?

Suggested Improvements

Cease and desist production. Or at least put a decent engine in it.

Decent Car
By mike

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan GTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my mitsu in 2008 and am very surprised I don't see more of these around. I love the sporty design on the outside especially with the dark gray color looks exactly like a shark. The interior is comfortable and clean looking but some of the interior plastics are cheap. I also don't like the upholstery a kind of felt material that my dogs hair clings too. I find the gas mileage adequate but power is a little low;although through corners it definitely shows a sportier side. The rockford fosgate stereo is awesome as well as the easy to use navigation system. The tires make the car useless in snow because they are summer time ones. Also, starting the car is a little rough in really cold weather

Favorite Features

Sporty exterior,and easy to use navigation, as well as the rockford fosgate stereo.

Suggested Improvements

A good pair of all weather tires instead of the standard sport for the 18" tires.Also, replace the upholstery with something more pet friendly and less likely to attract dust and lint.

Could have been perfect!
By Eric

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan GTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had the car for 3 years now, this car is like bi-polar to me, it can give me the greatest feelings on the road or just looking at it already creates emotions. It handles nicely looks like a shark and is pretty roomy for its size. What's sad is, it is near perfect but mitsu made cuts in bad areas thinking we would not notice. First thing I notice, rattles came in pretty soon, about a month after purchase they came from the road noise and when I turn the music at near half power speaker grills rattle and doors to. And this is the BASIC sound system not even with the sub-woofer in it. And the paint. Where is it? Oh! I supposed they put in more clear then. Nope! That's not what road hazards say.

Favorite Features

I like its stock features, like the 18 inch wheels, skirts and rear wing. Stock seats are comfortable and cabin is roomy. Steering feel is great, the brakes respond nicely and never lack power. The suspension reacts well and gives the car good predictability, the transmission is as good as it gets.

Suggested Improvements

Better Plastics and finish,and why not less plastics.better road noise insulation,More paint and a better clear coat quality. A 6th gear would be nice for hi-way cruising cause engine noise is annoying.

Check insurance price before you buy
By Tony

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

We bought this car for my 16 year old son thinking it would be a nice car for him to drive back and forth to school. The car looks and drives wonderful, plenty of power and great gas mileage. Our shock was when we went to get it covered with our local insurance agent. The price was outrageous! I now see on the internet, it is right at the top of the list for most expensive cars to insure. Don't make the same mistake we did; Check with your insurance agent first!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is great. Has plenty of power for a 2.0 liter engine. Handles wonderful.

Suggested Improvements

The Yokohama tires are very noisy. Change tread design on the tires or install a different brand to make it a quieter ride.

Great Car
By Rob

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan GTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Just bought it about a month ago, I got it with the mud flaps and hood deflector. The hood deflector looks sexy (adds a touch of design at the front while it protects). No stone chips at all from me driving but it did have 2 or 3 at the front from the previous owner who did not put a hood protector or mud flaps on. It is the CVT auto and I don't know why people say it doesn't have enough power, it's plenty and when I switch to the manual sports mode, it goes well enough. Unless you want to race with this car, it's gonna cut it, plenty. It has more power than my old 96 civic which still had a lot of HP left. The paint job, might be a little fragile but it should technically hold out.

Favorite Features

Everything! It's loaded and the Rockford Fosgate sound system rocks!

Suggested Improvements

More coats of paint and clear coat. Worse case, if the car behaves good and has a good record and new paint job 10 years from now would be well worth its design!