2008 Mitsubishi Lancer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:
Soured On Mitsubishi By This Car, Money Pit
By pxabstraction on 09/30/13 07:28 AM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this at 2 years old with 30,000Km. Now has 80,000Km, 5 years old and I'm selling it. Pros: Good mileage, comfortable, everything still works. Cons: CVT autos are HORRIBLE. Transmission is lazy and car is gutless. Engine is noisy. Chewed through 3 sets of 18" tires. Transmission cooler had to be replaced at 80,000Km, $1,500, should have lasted years more. Rear suspension needed $1,000 of work last year, also should have lasted longer. TMPS system cannot be disabled, does not show which tire is down, cannot remember more than one set of tires, constant paint chips, awful service. Car is a lemon. Very displeased. Will not buy Mitsubishi again.

5 Year Review 2008 GTS
By mba0006 on 04/24/13 20:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I've owned my Mitsu for 5 years now. I am trading it in for a '13 Charger b/c I can afford one now. This was a great car! The 150 hp engine felt more along the lines of mid 200's. The cvt transmission is a bit sluggish in the low RPMs but the lancer is a fun car to drive. I am 6-2 and 200lbs. I felt comfortable in the lancer. The back seats were okay, very wide but not much leg room. The GTS is very sporty. The Rocksford sound is great! If youre expecting it to be like the Evo you will be disappointed, but the lancer is still fun to drive and has a practicle MPG and cost. Exterior noise was the one complaint (hwy speeds are noisy) but the RF sound can drown it out ;) For the price range A+

Just to let you know about some issues...
By fdlbym on 09/15/11 21:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

In a nut shell, if you're not impressed with the exterior design, just don't spent time looking at this one. Mileage is okay but not the best (low thirties on highway). Handling is good for its class but you can find other cars handles as good if not better (Mazda3). Leg room in second row is one of the best but is it that important? When it comes to shortfalls the list is longer; Engine noise is something to pay attention. Interior plastics are not better than what you would find on vacuum cleaner (similar to previous generation US cars). Together with weak engine, CVT makes you feel dead.

Best car I have ever owned
By jgskains on 08/29/11 09:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Although the it didn't have the horsepower I was looking for, it more than made up for it in every other aspect. It was more comfortable than other cars in its class. It was quick, fun, and handled like a dream. It never gave me any trouble and aside from the color I got stuck with I had no regrets. I don't recommend the automatic transmission I read lots of complaints about a lack of power. But my 5 speed had plenty of power. In the end it proved itself to be extremely safe. After hitting a retaining wall and rolling mine 3 times I walked away with out injury. I love this car and I will miss this car. Eventually I will come back to this car.

So middle of the road
By imacarguy on 01/20/11 19:31 PM (PST)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am looking for another car, and drove this tonight. Not a bad looker, but that's about it. You want slow? This is your car. Want a hard center armrest, tinny doors, clunky shifter and small backseat? This is your car. I pulled back into the dealer lot, and the salesguy asked, "So, what do you--" I cut him off with a firm, "Nope." Could be good, but long ways to go.

You get what you pay for I guess
By rwilliams148 on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have had my 2008 Lancer GTS for almost two years now. At first it was great but at 61,000 miles trouble started. My blower motor has already went out and we just recently moved and now have a gravel road. I have dust coming inside the car from my glove box, all vents, my cd player, my steering wheel column, and all the doors. I contacted Mitsubishi about this and they will not do anything. It is a nice looking car but very cheaply made. My alignment has been fixed now 8 times (and I drive normally just more than most people). The steering wheel has started shaking extremely bad but the no one can seem to tell me why. Because of these reasons, I will not purchase another Mitsubishi.

Should have read here first
By Nebraska on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Why oh why did I not check here first! This car is a joke; my kids RC car has more power and is in all likelihood more comfortable. For God's sake what is in the console armrest - concrete? Cause there sure as hell is not padding. If, and it is a big "IF" this car had ANY redeeming qualities it would be the mileage, but who cares about mileage at the great expense of power. If you plan on passing anyone, make sure they are either riding a bicycle (and it better not be Lance Armstrong) or they are a little old lady on a motorized cart, other than that, you'll never make it. Had the car for 9-months and I will never get those 9-mos back.

Decent Car
By mike on 08/22/10 13:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my mitsu in 2008 and am very surprised I don't see more of these around. I love the sporty design on the outside especially with the dark gray color looks exactly like a shark. The interior is comfortable and clean looking but some of the interior plastics are cheap. I also don't like the upholstery a kind of felt material that my dogs hair clings too. I find the gas mileage adequate but power is a little low;although through corners it definitely shows a sportier side. The rockford fosgate stereo is awesome as well as the easy to use navigation system. The tires make the car useless in snow because they are summer time ones. Also, starting the car is a little rough in really cold weather

Could have been perfect!
By Eric on 08/14/10 09:36 AM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had the car for 3 years now, this car is like bi-polar to me, it can give me the greatest feelings on the road or just looking at it already creates emotions. It handles nicely looks like a shark and is pretty roomy for its size. What's sad is, it is near perfect but mitsu made cuts in bad areas thinking we would not notice. First thing I notice, rattles came in pretty soon, about a month after purchase they came from the road noise and when I turn the music at near half power speaker grills rattle and doors to. And this is the BASIC sound system not even with the sub-woofer in it. And the paint. Where is it? Oh! I supposed they put in more clear then. Nope! That's not what road hazards say.

Check insurance price before you buy
By Tony on 07/29/10 16:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

We bought this car for my 16 year old son thinking it would be a nice car for him to drive back and forth to school. The car looks and drives wonderful, plenty of power and great gas mileage. Our shock was when we went to get it covered with our local insurance agent. The price was outrageous! I now see on the internet, it is right at the top of the list for most expensive cars to insure. Don't make the same mistake we did; Check with your insurance agent first!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.