Used 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:

A VERY FUN CAR!
By mp010101

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have now put over 136,000 miles on this car. I drive the hell out of this car and treat it like a work truck, engine is great and one of the best 2.4's that was built during this time. I have kept up with my regular maintenance items (oil changes, brakes, transmission flushes, etc...) and the car has been great. Good acceleration and a responsive gas pedal compared to other cars. I know people with much newer cars in this category (Nissan versa's corollas etc ) and this car is way more fun to drive. Looks like after a 136K miles i will have to change the catalytic converter. My goal is to try to get this car to 200k if it holds up.

Fun to drive!

2004 Lancer Raliart 5-speed manual
By rbenram

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan Ralliart 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over a year, I'm the third owner, this is my first car and i love it. for me there is nothing else to trust than a Mitsubishi. This type of car has to be keep forever. Sometimes they give problems but they are worth it. I replaced the clutch after a good time taking the hell out it. I also had change starter, clutch slave cylinder but those are things that get old, no worries.

One of the best things i love from this car is the stick shift. because only real car lovers drive stick. The gas millage is no the exception, around 28 mpg highway. She is 10 years old but still worth it.

I would say what this type of car needed was a sixth gear and a better sound system because the infinity sound system is like doesn't match with the car.

One of the best cheap Imports to get
By pchiobro

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I am currently in high school and this is my first car. I've had it for over a year and with that have driven the hell out of the car. It is an amazing car and can take a beating. I have taken my friends in it across the state many times and it's about to see it's 7th Chicago winter. I'm sure for it's time it was the best "economy car" to have but as the years have past, time hasn't been to gentle with it. You can get a car with better MPG as well as more hp for about the same price but you definitely shouldn't over look this mid 2000's Lancer. It of course has the best body style and is the best gen Lancer Mitsubishi has made. They messed up the newest Lancer/Evo X.

Turning radius (about 2.5 car lanes), Stereo sound s magnificent, Really good weight balancing, Corners pretty well for its size, and it's a good head turner for the price and you'll get more respect for driving this economy car versus every other.

There is a long list.... But the top suggestions (even thought they don't matter anymore) are higher hp, drop the suspension at least another inch, put lower profile tires on it with larger wheels, increase the MPG, give the automatic the 5th gear and give the manual their 6th, and last (as well as probably the most radical idea), make it RWD or AWD.

3rd owner and no problems
By jacendb

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car in October 2011. I was looking for a Mazda but this was the only available back then and I didn't have too much time to be picky. Besides the radiator breaking one time, I haven't had any issue. No loose interior parts, no shaking when driving the highway. It's 9 years old and it's still soft and steady. It has surprised me in a very good way. I will have to change the catalytic converter eventually, but everything else seems to be ok. Parts are more expensive than other cars, but you won't need many.

Easy to replace stereo, looks of rims and spoiler,

Expensive parts

04 Lancer RA
By darkprojex

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan Ralliart 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car on Aug. 2008 at 74,000 mi, now 86,000 mi at Ultimate Rides in Appleton, WI. 1 owner vehicle. Worst service ever. A salesman tells me to get out after testing two cars, had a argument with him and their manager and will never buy another car from there again, period. I love the power in this car but after a while the car starts squeaking. Replaced front sway links and tie end rods then later, rear sway links, struts, and bushings. Parts that were used to replace were practically junk. Just recently replaced brake pads and now the car starts rattling by wheels. Brakes were bled and installed correctly though.

Power at mid-range RPM.

Upgrade the quality of suspension parts used, since this is suppose to be a rally car.