2004 Mitsubishi Lancer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:
2004 Lancer Raliart 5-speed manual
By rbenram on 05/09/14 19:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over a year, I'm the third owner, this is my first car and i love it. for me there is nothing else to trust than a Mitsubishi. This type of car has to be keep forever. Sometimes they give problems but they are worth it. I replaced the clutch after a good time taking the hell out it. I also had change starter, clutch slave cylinder but those are things that get old, no worries.

One of the best cheap Imports to get
By pchiobro on 11/17/13 20:06 PM (PST)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I am currently in high school and this is my first car. I've had it for over a year and with that have driven the hell out of the car. It is an amazing car and can take a beating. I have taken my friends in it across the state many times and it's about to see it's 7th Chicago winter. I'm sure for it's time it was the best "economy car" to have but as the years have past, time hasn't been to gentle with it. You can get a car with better MPG as well as more hp for about the same price but you definitely shouldn't over look this mid 2000's Lancer. It of course has the best body style and is the best gen Lancer Mitsubishi has made. They messed up the newest Lancer/Evo X.

3rd owner and no problems
By jacendb on 07/24/13 11:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car in October 2011. I was looking for a Mazda but this was the only available back then and I didn't have too much time to be picky. Besides the radiator breaking one time, I haven't had any issue. No loose interior parts, no shaking when driving the highway. It's 9 years old and it's still soft and steady. It has surprised me in a very good way. I will have to change the catalytic converter eventually, but everything else seems to be ok. Parts are more expensive than other cars, but you won't need many.

04 Lancer RA
By darkprojex on 11/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car on Aug. 2008 at 74,000 mi, now 86,000 mi at Ultimate Rides in Appleton, WI. 1 owner vehicle. Worst service ever. A salesman tells me to get out after testing two cars, had a argument with him and their manager and will never buy another car from there again, period. I love the power in this car but after a while the car starts squeaking. Replaced front sway links and tie end rods then later, rear sway links, struts, and bushings. Parts that were used to replace were practically junk. Just recently replaced brake pads and now the car starts rattling by wheels. Brakes were bled and installed correctly though.

The cheaper evo
By the man colin morgan on 05/21/10 05:06 AM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is the only Lancer in the out of all trim to have a 2.4 L engine displacement. Not even the evo is packed that tight. The engine is out of one of Mitsubishi's SUVs and is a tough cookie to crack although it has evo parts it front wheel drive. I have mine fitted with a magnaflow performance 2.25 inch exhaust tail turbo, waist gate, blow off and piping with a custom intake. Rrm cold air intake and intercooler. Tien BASIC coil overs. Irotors performance brakes and rotors. This car although not handling as good as an evo has potential to be quicker in a quarter mile. It very responsive and I would recommend it to anyone with a hope to race

Falling A-part
By Goober on 04/15/10 00:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Since I purchased my car I've had things just break off or fall apart. Gas tank latch is broken, It takes 2 people to fill up/open gas latch. Passenger front window motor has cable tangled up and same with rear driver side door. I have only 2 functioning windows out of the 4. Heater control knob has broken off "Plastic part" cigarette lighter has no power. My car is a dream to drive in the winter with no heat & windows down with rain coming in on you. The trunk can only be open by latch, key is useless in the winter trunk will not open. WOW what a car!

Great basic car
By karl on 02/17/10 11:48 AM (PST)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was our fourth Mitsubishi and third from this dealer. I needed a car to get to/from work and the Lancer ES fit the bill. Knowing that gas could go higher in price, I had donated my truck to charity and wanted a car that would be reliable, safe, and at least double the mpg of the V8 in my truck. After driving a variety of small cars, I went with what I knew and got the Mitsubishi and I have NEVER looked back. I have taken it cross country twice and averaged 30.5 mpg on the highway. With a Yakima rack, I can haul my canoe and fit 85 duck decoys in the truck and back seat too. Sure, I get a few funny looks at the boat ramp but it doesn't break the bank to fill it either.

Needed a Used Car
By Driver on 11/13/09 21:53 PM (PST)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned over 40 cars in my lifetime. The current economy forced sale of a newer, nicer car for this one. Not a bad car; quick, fun, excellent handling...not bad. I enjoy the very linear "go-kart" handling. Kinda slow off the line and plug ugly. Very plain interior. Nice shifter, outstanding midrange punch for a NA engine, and decent mileage. MIVEC engine provides MUCH more torque than Honda VTECH. Low production numbers make this an exclusive car; but parts and upgrades are hard to find. Evo owners think you're a poser for driving one...until you compare gas and insurance costs. I like this little car - it's a fun, solid everyday driver. Resale stinks, so plan to keep it.

Great First Car
By Samira on 10/10/09 16:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Overall this is an excellent beginner's car. I have owned this car for five years and before I got it, it had 17000 miles on it from a rental car company. I haven't had any problems with it other than standard repairs (oil changes, brake pads, new tires, etc). It is almost 6 years old now and it has just under 60000 miles on it. It is completely reliable and easy to maintain on my own and I'm a do-it-yourself kinda girl without much mechanic experience. My only complaints about this car are primarily superficial. The only thing I need to fix is the ac/heat knob bc it won't turn to heat. Read my suggested improvements (which I think got fixed in future models, the 2009s are really nice)!

Best Car
By Boston Matt on 08/27/09 23:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Not one bad thing. Got me through college, several million bad nights and its been Driven XC two times from AZ to NH. It is like a child to me, 75,678 miles to this date. Next this thing will be on blocks, waiting for bubble rap. Ralliart made it up to the Car Driver est top speed as well. I am impressed. This is the best car I have ever had and I will NEVER get rid of this car.