Used 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Consumer Reviews - 118 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:

Good Car, but Kinda Boring!
By E-Bar

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had nothing but luck with my Lancer OZ, however after three years I am kinda bored with it. It gets great gas mileage (27-33 mpg) and has had no mechanical problems. It does eat tires and front brakes, I don't drive out of control or use heavy breaks. I live in the country and don't do a lot of stop and go driving. I wish that I had more room to haul things and passenger room. I am 5'10", however having somewhat tall people in my car is a problem. For a good little commuter this is a perfect car. For someone looking to start a life and a family you may want to keep looking.

The sunroof and the stock OZ stereo sounds OK.

For a "rally" version it needs more than just rims, spoiler, and ground effects to make it worth the extra money.

Be Intelligent, Give It a Shot
By M J.DRAHL

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My spouse and I were not seeking to purchase a new vehicle on that hot humid New Jersey afternoon. As we passed the dealer I noticed the Diamond White Pearl OZ Rally from knowledge on upgrade platform outside. We just had test driven such a vehicle. Both my wife and I took separate drives in a five speed. We were so impressed by its handling, brakes, outward vision, and tremendously smooth gearbox 4.04.1 that we placed our down payment on one in less an hour. The vehicle was delivered as promised in less than three days. The sales staff and management were very business-like and extremely professional in all respects. We purchased another Lancer ES for our college bound son for his NY trips.

The excellent outward vision as well as reasonable acceleration. This car is quite competent when entering interstates. The gas mileage for this two liter four-cylinder car is commendable at a nine and one half to one compression ratio.

If it is not cost prohibitive a strong Japanese competitor with many more units sold in America has decided to offer as standard equipment on a sport coupe side mirror signals. A nice touch. Could the rear mounted screw off antenna mechanically go in out to protect unwarranted breakage.

With Help...a Great Little Car
By tuner77

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my manual 2003 O-Z Lancer new in Dec. of 2002 and have 52,000 miles on it. The only problem I have noticed is a delay in staring in the summer months...due to the higher concentration of ethanol in the gas. It has no problems when driving, just starting. I put in NGK Iridium plugs a few months back and that seemed to have corrected that. If your not having the problem, I would not recommend those plugs, they are too expensive and the gain is minimal. Mostly though the car is a great everyday driver. Comfort-wise, it's a very good deal for the money. Its performance is lacking, but with the help of the automotive aftermarket and a $1,000 investment, anyone with a tool set can remedy that.

The exterior and interior styling. After 2003 the Lancer has not been as visually appealing. The Ralliart version was a great addition, but the new styling leaves something to be desired.

Go back to the styling of the '02-'03 model with a 170 hp Ralliart option and I'm sold on another.

A Great Car
By tebeaudin

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has exceeded all of the expectations I had when I purchased it. Mitsubishi is not known for its quality, but this car is very well built. The gas mileage has been a pleasant surprise but I haven't given up any power. The car has quite a bit of zip that lets me hang with cars with much more power. It has a great ride overall.

Better Than Expected
By rod

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 Lancer was purchased used at an "auto superstore" in 03/2004 with 15,212 miles, for $9,988. It replaced my 1998 Nissan Altima which had 217,000 miles and a fantastic service record, i.e., minimal problems and great fuel economy. My expectations for the Mitsubishi were "OK" at best, I did not believe that it was in the same league as the Nissan. iIwas wrong! I am a medical courier and as of 9/20/2006 i have 200,867 miles on this little cracker-box car. I change the oil (and filter of course) about every 5,000 miles, use only regular (87 octane) gas as recommended, and change spark plugs about every 30,000 miles using only the recommended ngk's (don't make the mistake I did by using other plugs).