Used 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:

Some problems
By Laura

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for two years and I do put a lot of miles on it annually. It ran great initially, but since I hit 90,000 miles I've had to put about $2,000 in to repairs. front and rear axle, exhaust system, break pads and shoes 3-4 times in the last two years, transmission, etc. It is also extremely loud, the external noise I can hear with the windows rolled up is kind of ridiculous. It is extremely comfortable to sit in and fun to drive but not worth it anymore. Also, as I work in a city and have to parallel park, my car gets bumped around a lot be less contentious drivers. The thing dents as easily as a soda can! There's a dent from someone having leaned against it!

Comfort, gas mileage (about 28 highway,) the way it looked (before the dents.)

*see review

Dissatisfied
By 2003 Lancer

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 03 Lancer for 5 years now, and I only have 40,600 miles on it. Just recently the Horn-Pad assembly stopped working, is malfunctioning. Because it is connected with the airbags and steering component, I have to get the entire component replaced, which has cost me over $1200. Another unfortunate thing is that the part is not made in the U.S. The part had to be placed on backorder from Japan - not too happy about that!

Good ride
By threetri

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's been a good car in the two and a half years I have had it. I have only had to replace the front left strut at 26000 miles because of speed bumps and crappy roads. I put an K&N air filter and an aftermarket exhaust on and I get 38 miles to the gallon on the freeway. It's not the fastest car, but sure is fun to drive.

Red gauges, rims, handling, gas mileage, reliability, bright headlights.

Better paint job, some more power.

My Super Car
By Jr Evo

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 2003 Lancer is a great car to modify. A lot of people complain that it is lacks prower, but all it needs is a high flow cat and muffler and a cold air intake with light rims and ngk iridium plugs. I'm doing 0-60 in about 5.5 seconds.

The custom EVO look.

Add AWD.

Good Car, but Kinda Boring!
By E-Bar

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had nothing but luck with my Lancer OZ, however after three years I am kinda bored with it. It gets great gas mileage (27-33 mpg) and has had no mechanical problems. It does eat tires and front brakes, I don't drive out of control or use heavy breaks. I live in the country and don't do a lot of stop and go driving. I wish that I had more room to haul things and passenger room. I am 5'10", however having somewhat tall people in my car is a problem. For a good little commuter this is a perfect car. For someone looking to start a life and a family you may want to keep looking.

The sunroof and the stock OZ stereo sounds OK.

For a "rally" version it needs more than just rims, spoiler, and ground effects to make it worth the extra money.