2003 Mitsubishi Lancer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:
Dissatisfied
By 2003 Lancer on 06/24/08 11:11 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 03 Lancer for 5 years now, and I only have 40,600 miles on it. Just recently the Horn-Pad assembly stopped working, is malfunctioning. Because it is connected with the airbags and steering component, I have to get the entire component replaced, which has cost me over $1200. Another unfortunate thing is that the part is not made in the U.S. The part had to be placed on backorder from Japan - not too happy about that!

Good ride
By threetri on 09/15/07 11:07 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's been a good car in the two and a half years I have had it. I have only had to replace the front left strut at 26000 miles because of speed bumps and crappy roads. I put an K&N air filter and an aftermarket exhaust on and I get 38 miles to the gallon on the freeway. It's not the fastest car, but sure is fun to drive.

My Super Car
By Jr Evo on 01/24/07 07:38 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 2003 Lancer is a great car to modify. A lot of people complain that it is lacks prower, but all it needs is a high flow cat and muffler and a cold air intake with light rims and ngk iridium plugs. I'm doing 0-60 in about 5.5 seconds.

Good Car, but Kinda Boring!
By E-Bar on 11/23/06 18:41 PM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had nothing but luck with my Lancer OZ, however after three years I am kinda bored with it. It gets great gas mileage (27-33 mpg) and has had no mechanical problems. It does eat tires and front brakes, I don't drive out of control or use heavy breaks. I live in the country and don't do a lot of stop and go driving. I wish that I had more room to haul things and passenger room. I am 5'10", however having somewhat tall people in my car is a problem. For a good little commuter this is a perfect car. For someone looking to start a life and a family you may want to keep looking.

Be Intelligent, Give It a Shot
By M J.DRAHL on 11/05/06 15:14 PM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My spouse and I were not seeking to purchase a new vehicle on that hot humid New Jersey afternoon. As we passed the dealer I noticed the Diamond White Pearl OZ Rally from knowledge on upgrade platform outside. We just had test driven such a vehicle. Both my wife and I took separate drives in a five speed. We were so impressed by its handling, brakes, outward vision, and tremendously smooth gearbox 4.04.1 that we placed our down payment on one in less an hour. The vehicle was delivered as promised in less than three days. The sales staff and management were very business-like and extremely professional in all respects. We purchased another Lancer ES for our college bound son for his NY trips.

With Help...a Great Little Car
By tuner77 on 11/03/06 12:03 PM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my manual 2003 O-Z Lancer new in Dec. of 2002 and have 52,000 miles on it. The only problem I have noticed is a delay in staring in the summer months...due to the higher concentration of ethanol in the gas. It has no problems when driving, just starting. I put in NGK Iridium plugs a few months back and that seemed to have corrected that. If your not having the problem, I would not recommend those plugs, they are too expensive and the gain is minimal. Mostly though the car is a great everyday driver. Comfort-wise, it's a very good deal for the money. Its performance is lacking, but with the help of the automotive aftermarket and a $1,000 investment, anyone with a tool set can remedy that.

A Great Car
By tebeaudin on 09/26/06 19:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has exceeded all of the expectations I had when I purchased it. Mitsubishi is not known for its quality, but this car is very well built. The gas mileage has been a pleasant surprise but I haven't given up any power. The car has quite a bit of zip that lets me hang with cars with much more power. It has a great ride overall.

Better Than Expected
By rod on 09/20/06 22:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 Lancer was purchased used at an "auto superstore" in 03/2004 with 15,212 miles, for $9,988. It replaced my 1998 Nissan Altima which had 217,000 miles and a fantastic service record, i.e., minimal problems and great fuel economy. My expectations for the Mitsubishi were "OK" at best, I did not believe that it was in the same league as the Nissan. iIwas wrong! I am a medical courier and as of 9/20/2006 i have 200,867 miles on this little cracker-box car. I change the oil (and filter of course) about every 5,000 miles, use only regular (87 octane) gas as recommended, and change spark plugs about every 30,000 miles using only the recommended ngk's (don't make the mistake I did by using other plugs).

An OK alternative
By Drew on 07/08/06 20:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Lancer used, with about 36,000 miles on it. It's been a solid performer so far, but it should be for the first 100,000 miles. Any car should. The car should have more horsepower. There's no reason it shouldn't be in the 160-170 HP range when the Rally version is well over 200. The gas mileage is disappointing, it too should be better. I've experience high 20s when traveling on the highway - it should be in the mid-30s at least. All in all, the Lancer is a half-way decent alternative if you cannot afford the Civic or a comparable Toyota or Nissan. My only other concern would be the automatic transmission. I hope it doesn't give out before it's paid for. Go with a stick if you can.

Good car!
By D.W. Stones on 07/05/06 23:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Lancer's standard equipment is great not cheap and flimsy like in some of the domestic cars I've had. This car is fun to drive and can take the numerous potholes of the roads of PA with out jolting you around like a you're riding in a dryer on four wheels unlike my old Subaru. More than 120 horses would make it a little bit more exciting to drive.