2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer - Consumer Reviews

2003 Lancer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:

Sort Reviews by

GREAT CAR!
By ashleemays

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Lancer for over a year and so far I've loved it, it has only broke down on me one time the camshaft sensor went out than my battery went out but other than that it's been a great car. I did notice that people have been saying that they had problems with the temperature knob I have too ever since I bought the car!

a great bang for your buck
By wolfcry

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this for a year now, bought it used with about 130k miles. Very few issues with this car... I've mostly just had to do the regular oil changes, but I've also had to change a power window motor and rail, tie rod ends. Gotta change the bushings on the control arms later, and replace the window tint since its kinda messed up right now; not saying that all Lancers gotta change their window tint, mine was bought with some small defects in the all of the window tint...

Favorite Features

Good acceleration, regular gas mileage, awesome interior, great exterior design ( i prefer it over the newer designs ),

Suggested Improvements

What I did was put on the 17 inch Enkei FD05 rims with low profile tires..., put a vortex generator..., replaced the grill for the black mesh grill (it was hard to find, but if you want it just google "lancer 03 mesh grill" and you might find it)..., Replaced the air filter for a performance brand (forgot which right now)..., Installed a stereo system.. put a exhaust pipe tip...All of this was installed by me.... What wasn't installed by me was the Alarm/Remote start/Keyless entry kit (just to keep the warranty); that was installed by Best Buy. They did a real good job too! I would buy the turbo kit for performance and the Evo X body kit for looks.. and aftermarket lights with halos.

200,000 miles and still rolling smooth
By imanilove

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I'm a second owner, I had this car for over 6 years now. This car has been through the ringer and has been dogged out. Like most cars some issues have arisen such as the tie rods, and timing belt which I think is quite normal for a car with 200,000 miles. Other than that I just kept up on regular with oil changes and it's still riding strong. I would recommend a lancer to anyone looking for a long lasting car. It's certainly not a luxury car but it's a damn good car.

Great Car
By ryans93

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have owned the Lancer since it was new and it has been a fantastic car. It still looks great, gets good gas mileage, is fun to drive, and little has gone wrong with it. The build quality is excellent and the interior has held up extremely well with almost no rattles and still tight after 9 years and 150k. Other than regular maintenance, few problems have arisen on the car, and it's been very reliable.

Favorite Features

Styling, build quality, reliability, driving characteristics. Comfortable, quiet, and spacious. Good value for money. Manual transmission shifts great and makes it fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Could definitely use more power but is adequate. No ABS on OZ Rally trim, and has rear drum brakes when there should be discs. Some parts can be expensive.

Still pleased
By res

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and i bought this car with 11 miles on the odometer. Great feeling.8 years later we are almost at 60k. This car is mostly driven by my wife.We use to use for long trips and am surprised to hear people have gotten up to 30 mpg on the highway. I have seen consistent 25 mpg on highway. Anyway this is a great little car that is nimble but lacks a little power.

Favorite Features

a lot of available accessories. roomy for a compact.looks good

Suggested Improvements

at least 150 hp,driving or fog lamps and better quality paint on front of car.

Great first car I must say!
By Tarantula

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it about 7 months ago with 132k miles on it. Was a little skeptical about it but when I drove it, I couldn't believe its 7 years old. Great gas mileage (about 30 mpg combined), fun to drive (in short commutes but not on the highway), and great reliability. I drove like 12k miles in just six months of purchase and needed nothing other than regular oil change. There is some room for improvement such as, temperature knob is hard to rotate and I'm not the only one facing this, no abs/cruise. But other than these issues the car is great.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, zippy, and not much to go wrong.

Suggested Improvements

HVAC temperature knob, cruise control and ABS.

Happy with my Lancer!
By DR4eva

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a second hand Lancer ES from Dixie Mitsubishi for a great deal and "AS IS". Few things I had to fix were the tie rod, the lower bumper had a crack probably from a speedbump, new tires, and new brake pads.. nothing out of the ordinary! Overall the ride is very smooth and humble. It doesn't roar like a mustang but it is quick to respond and drives very nice. My dad was equally impressed with the quality of parts (he works on our cars a lot) and I will buy Mitsubishi again!

Favorite Features

- comfortable seats - smooth ride - stereo and sound quality <3 - parts quality - easy to modify (added a spoiler)

Suggested Improvements

- needs a more aggressive drive, sportier - better looking interior, more excitement

Disappointing
By steve

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The vehicle itself is not a bad vehicle to own, low in perchance cost, easy to maneuver, and sporty looks tribute to its appeal. After owning this vehicle for a little while I find myself disappointed, the ride is quite bouncy, the engine is underpowered, and the fuel economy is nothing to write home about, I would say just below par for its class. The front is nice and grippy when you do get up to speed, sadly cornering fun is reduced by moderate body lean. If one is looking for a lancer oz rally my suggestion would be to find one with a manual transmission. As an automatic, a very good first car, looks good, is cheap to own and maintain, yet for the parents its not crazy fast.

Favorite Features

the interior is nicely laid out, with sufficient space, also the sheer amount off after market parts available makes the vehicle very customizable. beyond that the stock stereo is surprisingly good, overall not a bad place to sit.

Suggested Improvements

additional roll bars added to the suspension will stabilize the car, further the engine and transmission need to be re-tuned to deliver optimal power. finally a better exhaust, and tires would improve the vehicle greatly.

Watch for the heater/air switch
By jen

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I seen a review above me about the heater knob not turning to air conditioning. So I decided to chime in. I had the same issue and so did all 3 of my friends who own the same year lancer. Never on recall and they refused to fix it. 3k was the estimate. I traded it in this year got 2,200 trade because of the knob. It also had issues with the timing belt I had to replace it 2x's under 100k. Transmission started slipping at 90k. Lighted mirror cover broke off. Don't let me deter you. Im sure some of that wear and tear was my fault. Light bulbs burned out quite often watch for water under hood. Drives beautifully in snow. Drove through snow storm, 1 ft deep snow and icy wipers and all.

Favorite Features

Style of car, Trunk is huge great for 10" subs, reliable even with all the issues never once stranded, went to nearly 20 camping trips in it, can hold about everything but kitchen sink and not rub tires, wonderful if you have kids (seats sit low, great for car seats)

Suggested Improvements

Fix that knob, please. Light bulbs are hard to get in. Recall on rear seat belts (you pay out of pocket, safety hazard), Mitsubishi = $$$ to fix, resale is horrible on the Lancer ES 4 Door, One little side impact you have issues with tires 4 life of car

I love my car!
By Leslie

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've only had this car for a few months, but so far, I love it! The first owner of the car maintained it perfectly, so maintenance has not yet been an issue on this 78K mile vehicle. Based on some of these reviews, my opinion might change once major work is necessary, but so far the car is wonderful, and the best I've ever owned. It's fun to drive, handles well, and has enough zip to pass whenever I need to. I'm planning to drive this car for years to come. I'm a careful driver, and keep up on suggested maintenance, and don't see any problems in the near future.

Favorite Features

Sporty, yet understated appearance. Fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

The stereo's pretty blah. I'd like the gas mileage to be a little better.