Used 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:

Great first car I must say!
By Tarantula

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it about 7 months ago with 132k miles on it. Was a little skeptical about it but when I drove it, I couldn't believe its 7 years old. Great gas mileage (about 30 mpg combined), fun to drive (in short commutes but not on the highway), and great reliability. I drove like 12k miles in just six months of purchase and needed nothing other than regular oil change. There is some room for improvement such as, temperature knob is hard to rotate and I'm not the only one facing this, no abs/cruise. But other than these issues the car is great.

Gas mileage, zippy, and not much to go wrong.

HVAC temperature knob, cruise control and ABS.

Watch for the heater/air switch
By jen

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I seen a review above me about the heater knob not turning to air conditioning. So I decided to chime in. I had the same issue and so did all 3 of my friends who own the same year lancer. Never on recall and they refused to fix it. 3k was the estimate. I traded it in this year got 2,200 trade because of the knob. It also had issues with the timing belt I had to replace it 2x's under 100k. Transmission started slipping at 90k. Lighted mirror cover broke off. Don't let me deter you. Im sure some of that wear and tear was my fault. Light bulbs burned out quite often watch for water under hood. Drives beautifully in snow. Drove through snow storm, 1 ft deep snow and icy wipers and all.

Style of car, Trunk is huge great for 10" subs, reliable even with all the issues never once stranded, went to nearly 20 camping trips in it, can hold about everything but kitchen sink and not rub tires, wonderful if you have kids (seats sit low, great for car seats)

Fix that knob, please. Light bulbs are hard to get in. Recall on rear seat belts (you pay out of pocket, safety hazard), Mitsubishi = $$$ to fix, resale is horrible on the Lancer ES 4 Door, One little side impact you have issues with tires 4 life of car

I love my car!
By Leslie

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've only had this car for a few months, but so far, I love it! The first owner of the car maintained it perfectly, so maintenance has not yet been an issue on this 78K mile vehicle. Based on some of these reviews, my opinion might change once major work is necessary, but so far the car is wonderful, and the best I've ever owned. It's fun to drive, handles well, and has enough zip to pass whenever I need to. I'm planning to drive this car for years to come. I'm a careful driver, and keep up on suggested maintenance, and don't see any problems in the near future.

Sporty, yet understated appearance. Fun to drive!

The stereo's pretty blah. I'd like the gas mileage to be a little better.

Best 4 Cyl Car
By Juan Rodriguez

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for over 4 years now and I burn it up. Its 6 years old and it has the mileage of a 10 year old car and its still driving like a car of the year. Let me tell you, I floor it a lot too and this car has had no problems. Overall, the Lancer has made me stick to Mitsubishi pride. My next car, which won't be soon since my baby's still kicking, will definitely be another Lancer. :)

High torque, low price, great MPG.

More horsepower and a better 0-60 time wouldn't hurt.

A good solid car
By LancerGuy2003

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first new car. Mostly the first 5 years or so no real problems with it. I have had some big expenses starting at the fifth year mark (65K miles). Still all in all, not bad. My mileage has been on the high side (26-28 city, 32-34 highway). It's at 94K and hoping to keep it around for another 40K or so.

The dashboard layout is nice and the mileage is great.

Not surprisingly, the CD/Radio. Kind of blah and CD's skipped; sometimes I just replaced it with an after market, which is fantastic.