2003 Mitsubishi Lancer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:
Great first car I must say!
By Tarantula on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it about 7 months ago with 132k miles on it. Was a little skeptical about it but when I drove it, I couldn't believe its 7 years old. Great gas mileage (about 30 mpg combined), fun to drive (in short commutes but not on the highway), and great reliability. I drove like 12k miles in just six months of purchase and needed nothing other than regular oil change. There is some room for improvement such as, temperature knob is hard to rotate and I'm not the only one facing this, no abs/cruise. But other than these issues the car is great.

Watch for the heater/air switch
By jen on 08/28/10 02:56 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I seen a review above me about the heater knob not turning to air conditioning. So I decided to chime in. I had the same issue and so did all 3 of my friends who own the same year lancer. Never on recall and they refused to fix it. 3k was the estimate. I traded it in this year got 2,200 trade because of the knob. It also had issues with the timing belt I had to replace it 2x's under 100k. Transmission started slipping at 90k. Lighted mirror cover broke off. Don't let me deter you. Im sure some of that wear and tear was my fault. Light bulbs burned out quite often watch for water under hood. Drives beautifully in snow. Drove through snow storm, 1 ft deep snow and icy wipers and all.

I love my car!
By Leslie on 03/07/10 22:25 PM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've only had this car for a few months, but so far, I love it! The first owner of the car maintained it perfectly, so maintenance has not yet been an issue on this 78K mile vehicle. Based on some of these reviews, my opinion might change once major work is necessary, but so far the car is wonderful, and the best I've ever owned. It's fun to drive, handles well, and has enough zip to pass whenever I need to. I'm planning to drive this car for years to come. I'm a careful driver, and keep up on suggested maintenance, and don't see any problems in the near future.

Best 4 Cyl Car
By Juan Rodriguez on 08/30/09 19:59 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for over 4 years now and I burn it up. Its 6 years old and it has the mileage of a 10 year old car and its still driving like a car of the year. Let me tell you, I floor it a lot too and this car has had no problems. Overall, the Lancer has made me stick to Mitsubishi pride. My next car, which won't be soon since my baby's still kicking, will definitely be another Lancer. :)

A good solid car
By LancerGuy2003 on 07/13/09 09:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first new car. Mostly the first 5 years or so no real problems with it. I have had some big expenses starting at the fifth year mark (65K miles). Still all in all, not bad. My mileage has been on the high side (26-28 city, 32-34 highway). It's at 94K and hoping to keep it around for another 40K or so.

A car that adapts to your life
By garlinghouse on 04/15/09 15:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Lancer ES was my first new car. Being young and immature I drove it like a rally car the first 10k miles of its life. As I got more responsible and mature I began driving it normally. After getting married and having 2 kids it made a great family car. My wife now uses it everyday to make long commutes to work and school driving at least 150 miles a day. This car still gets great gas mileage around 27mph average, has never let me or my family down even at 80k plus miles. This car can take anything you or your life throw its way. All it asks in return is follow its maintenance schedule by the book and this car will do whatever you need it to do.... within reason! Highly recommended.

Great Car
By Ricardo on 11/21/08 16:12 PM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoy this car. I have not had any problems at all and I drive this car a lot. The only maintenance is oil change and things of that sort which I do my self. One more thing to add, this car has no axles.

2003 Lancer ES
By John on 11/17/08 10:07 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is somewhat fun to drive. However, just pray that nothing goes wrong. Even a minor problem can be very expensive to fix. The reason is the car is constructed in modules, like a lego set. If one little piece of the module breaks, you have to replace the whole thing. For example, the plastic door on the heating duct got warped. (This is a small plastic piece that moves to switch you from cool air to hot air.) Cost to fix: $3000 because the entire heating/air conditioning module had to be replaced. My mechanic told me the same problem would have cost $100 to fix on a Honda.

Reliable
By Jules on 10/01/08 08:56 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 03 Lancer ES new. I drive to work 33 miles one way mostly highway miles and average about 31 - 34 miles per gallon. I love my little car. It is a five speed and handles great in the winter snow. The only maintenance I have done is change the oil, had the belts changed at 100,000. I just had my spark plugs changed at $115,000, you think the dealer would have told me every 30,000 miles for the plugs, since that is where my oil changes are done. I have never had a more reliable car. It still runs like new.

Some problems
By Laura on 07/01/08 01:09 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for two years and I do put a lot of miles on it annually. It ran great initially, but since I hit 90,000 miles I've had to put about $2,000 in to repairs. front and rear axle, exhaust system, break pads and shoes 3-4 times in the last two years, transmission, etc. It is also extremely loud, the external noise I can hear with the windows rolled up is kind of ridiculous. It is extremely comfortable to sit in and fun to drive but not worth it anymore. Also, as I work in a city and have to parallel park, my car gets bumped around a lot be less contentious drivers. The thing dents as easily as a soda can! There's a dent from someone having leaned against it!