Used 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:

Brilliant little car
By crazehen

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

To be a successful economy car, the vehicle in question has to have two things going for it; reliability and fuel economy. With that said, the Lancer is by far the best car I've ever owned. It's been reliable as a rock and the engine can take a serious beating. It'll get 26 miles per gallon with your foot welded to the floor, and 35 while driving Miss Daisy across the country. Need I say more? Why not. On top of those things, it's also roomy, comfortable, the stereo sounds great, the A/C will freeze your hands off and the heater makes Hell seem cold. I took this car on a 3,500 mile journey across the country and it didn't give me any trouble. A bold claim for a 12 year old 165k mile car.

Favorite Features

The clutch takes awhile to get used to but once you do, shifting is a joy. The rally style long throw shifter makes driving around town an enjoyable experience. The stereo sounds great, a common feature on a lot of Mitsubishis. The interior build quality is also fantastic. The entire dash is padded and hard plastics are kept to a minimum, a rare trait for the market and era which the car was built. Squeaks and rattles are non existent, and I've yet to have to replace any of the window motors/ power locks. The exterior has admirably conservative styling. It's nice to look at, but you can also be taken seriously when you step out of it. Big enough to be roomy but small enough to be a city car.

Suggested Improvements

The engine isn't a record breaker, but as an economy car that's to be expected. The engine has 120 horsepower, but 100 horses are taken by the air conditioner, seriously. It takes all the power from an engine that already didn't have any to spare. This is barely noticeable when sitting in traffic but you'll need to be shifting at 4000 RPM if you're trying to merge onto the highway at a standstill which can be irritating when you live in a very hot and humid climate such as myself. Engine and wind noise is also apparent at highway speeds, partly due to the car cruising at 3000 RPM at 75 with the A/C on full blast. Also, the bulbs behind the instrument cluster are beginning to fail due to age.

Amazing car!!!
By rod_1

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car is overall an amazing car. We bought it in 2004 with 58k on the odometer. We used it for trips and put a heavily amount of miles on the car. This car has lasted us a long while until the radiator busted a hole due to the fan going out. The car had too many miles on it to even bother putting money into it but the car now has 275k on the odometer last time we looked and has lasted a very long while. We've put a few dings and bruises on the car due to a dog jumping out in front of us and a go kart smashing into the side of it but it still went. It's protected us in many other situations too. I would recommend this car for anyone. We are looking for another one. Best car we ever owned!

Favorite Features

The reliability and safety.

Suggested Improvements

None.

2002 Mitsu OZ Lancer
By OZ Lancer Fan

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new. Eight years later, I have had no major problems with the car. I am currently at 145,000 miles and the car still retains the original timing belt! Other than the timing belt, I've kept to the suggested maintenance schedule and have had no problems. With a regular waxing, twice a year, the car also has no rust. I would recommend for higher mileage cars "Mobile Synthetic Oil- High Mileage". I noticed that you get more power than other oils. This is a low maintenance car, and I plan on having this as my daily driver for a good 200k-400k more miles. I believe this is doable with the lack of problems I have had with this car. I highly recommend Mitsu Lancers.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, Low Maintenance, and Rust free. The speaker system is not that bad. I've had friends ask me what type of bass I have in the back.only to find out I only have factor speakers.

Suggested Improvements

Interior gadgets for the 2002 OZ Lancer does not exist. You can easily update to a navigation unit, monitor, mp3 player by buying from a third party (Pioneer, Clarion, Alpine to name a few). Custom leather seats are difficult to find for this model as well.

Great Little Dependable Car
By edawg

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new in 2002. I have been both surprised and pleased. I have only put 28,000 miles on it, and the car has surpassed my expectations. The gas mileage both in town and on the highway is great, but the best thing about the car is that the only maintenance it has required has been regular oil changes and new tires. Considering the engine it has, the car has decent pickup upon acceleration, and is fun to drive. I expect my Lancer to last me for years to come. I highly recommend this car.

194K and still runnnin like new....
By AliG

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Won't say I'm an expert, but this car did really save me a lot of money during rough student life. I bought it with 163K and only thing I did is a tune-up and not so regular oil changes...even then thank God no problems! I am actually shocked it survived me...I'm neither bad or really good care taker, but this car is a really tough nut! I have no leaks, occasionally some noises (with oil change they go away)?!...very DEPENDABLE car!