Used 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:

great car
By gary wolf

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine new in 2002 and have 98k miles and no problems. changed the belts and oil and thats it.

I wish I still had my Lancer!
By Mitsu63

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used '02 Lancer ES in 2005 for $8k. It already had almost 100k miles on it and had evidently seen some use, as there was wear on both the steering wheel and headrests. I was looking for something to drive for a couple of years and then trade up. I am so grateful I didn't get around to carrying out that plan before the crash in 2008, because after that I was stuck with every item of value I already had due to not being able to buy new ones. My Lancer came through for me in a big way! I hardly did any maintenance on it at all, spent the bare minimum, yet it lasted me until 2014 and I racked up almost 250,000 miles on it. Towards the end things started breaking and that was why I ended up selling it - if I had been able to afford the new clutch it needed, I would probably still be driving it.

Things I loved about my Lancer:

Gas mileage! I was getting 33 mpg in mixed driving, I swear to god.
Roomy and versatile - I used it to haul firewood, used it to move with (crammed all kinds of furniture into it), drove down dirt roads, up mountains and on freeways, spent inordinate amounts of time traveling in it, and plenty of time with the seat reclined taking naps at rest stops.
Ease of driving - the clutch pedal is very light and took a minute to get used to, but once I adjusted to that it was easy to drive, very forgiving. Road feel was good, handled well, and a great turning radius.
Safety - as much time as I spent on the road (I travel for my job) I had to make several panic stops and the car did great, kept me safe and unharmed.
Bells and whistles - the Lancer had exactly the right combination of conveniences and simplicity for my taste. It had electric windows and mirror adjustments (not bad for a base model), a/c that worked great, a decent stereo with CD player, but none of the more fancy features such as headlights that turn themselves on and off, bluetooth, etc. that I personally have no use for anyway and find aggravating.
Ergonomics - the seat adjusts in several directions and the steering wheel adjusts as well. Everything is within reach and convenient. The seats recline all the way back for those rest stop naps. My only complaint is the resistance on the heat/cold adjustment knob - it was a bit tight and the knob eventually broke.
Power - for a little econo-sedan, it actually had a reasonable amount of get-up-and-go, and I could pull away from stop lights quickly if I needed to, pass people, and keep up with people in bigger cars when needed. I had it up above 100 mph on more than one occasion, although I wasn't really comfortable taking it much above that.
Value - let's face it, these cars don't hold a lot of value but that means you can pick up a used one cheap like I did. Expenditure-wise, mostly all I ever did was put gas and oil in it, brakes a couple of times, timing belt at 150k, and some new tires every couple of years. I think I had to buy a set of windshield wipers once. Towards the end, it needed more done to it but it was up over 200,000 miles by that point.

I loved my Lancer and would buy another one.

Great Little Dependable Car
By edawg

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new in 2002. I have been both surprised and pleased. I have only put 28,000 miles on it, and the car has surpassed my expectations. The gas mileage both in town and on the highway is great, but the best thing about the car is that the only maintenance it has required has been regular oil changes and new tires. Considering the engine it has, the car has decent pickup upon acceleration, and is fun to drive. I expect my Lancer to last me for years to come. I highly recommend this car.

194K and still runnnin like new....
By AliG

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Won't say I'm an expert, but this car did really save me a lot of money during rough student life. I bought it with 163K and only thing I did is a tune-up and not so regular oil changes...even then thank God no problems! I am actually shocked it survived me...I'm neither bad or really good care taker, but this car is a really tough nut! I have no leaks, occasionally some noises (with oil change they go away)?!...very DEPENDABLE car!

Reliable cheap transportation
By Brian

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased with 24,000 miles, formerly a rental. Plain car, cheap transportation. I bought it for $6600 and have put 125,000 miles on it with no repairs. It has been a great deal. The car rides like a cheap little car and has lots of wind noise. The seats are not real comfortable, but do offer plenty of leg and head room. Four adults can ride in the car relatively comfortably.

Reliable. Heater is great in the cold winters. Good space for passengers.

Cruise should have been standard and larger wheels would have helped improve the ride.