2002 Mitsubishi Lancer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:
Great Little Dependable Car
By edawg on 05/01/09 11:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new in 2002. I have been both surprised and pleased. I have only put 28,000 miles on it, and the car has surpassed my expectations. The gas mileage both in town and on the highway is great, but the best thing about the car is that the only maintenance it has required has been regular oil changes and new tires. Considering the engine it has, the car has decent pickup upon acceleration, and is fun to drive. I expect my Lancer to last me for years to come. I highly recommend this car.

194K and still runnnin like new....
By AliG on 04/16/09 15:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Won't say I'm an expert, but this car did really save me a lot of money during rough student life. I bought it with 163K and only thing I did is a tune-up and not so regular oil changes...even then thank God no problems! I am actually shocked it survived me...I'm neither bad or really good care taker, but this car is a really tough nut! I have no leaks, occasionally some noises (with oil change they go away)?!...very DEPENDABLE car!

Reliable cheap transportation
By Brian on 04/09/09 11:58 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased with 24,000 miles, formerly a rental. Plain car, cheap transportation. I bought it for $6600 and have put 125,000 miles on it with no repairs. It has been a great deal. The car rides like a cheap little car and has lots of wind noise. The seats are not real comfortable, but do offer plenty of leg and head room. Four adults can ride in the car relatively comfortably.

Can't help but love and respect this car
By Reluctant respect on 04/02/09 11:32 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I had to - I hit an economic tough patch and had to downsize from my previously owned semi-luxury car. For the first 2 years, I hated the car and made jokes about it. But now, about 5 years in, I have to take my hat off. It has run great, with very little maintenance needed. Something else I have to mention: even today, I'm getting about 30 miles to the gallon - no lie! The car now has about 160,000 miles on it, and it's showing no signs of quitting. It really won me over as a Mitsubishi fan, especially since I so badly wanted to keep making fun of it after I got it. But now, all I do is smile and admit that I couldn't have been more wrong.

5 years old and running great
By Viener.Vanker on 10/25/07 12:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased 10/2005 with 48,000 miles. Now (10/2007) has 75,000 miles. No issues whatsoever. 29 miles per gallon mixed driving. Does what a 4 door 4 banger econobox is supposed to do and does it well.

Overall is a good car
By Dimitry on 06/14/07 09:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it used 1.5 years ago. In general, I am very satisfied - it has 65,500 and is still very reliable. City mileage is not great. I get only about 20 mpg, but on a highway its about 35-37 mpg. I did only general maintenance and changed the belts - at 60K they started to develop cracks (not timing belt yet).

Excellent for its price!
By Ana Ben-David on 05/09/07 19:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Highly recommended. I bought my car when it had 35k miles on '04, today it has 93K miles and still drives perfectly. Regularly maintained, there are no problems at all. Definitely an excellent choice.

Not bad, but could be better
By Jenny Lou on 06/19/06 07:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well, I purchased my Lancer just over a year ago. As far as reliability, it has been doing pretty well. There has been no major problems, other than bad rotors. However, the interior is not holding up, everything is slowly falling off. The paint job is horrible, it looks like I have two different paint colors on one side. I rotate my tires with every oil change and check my alignment, yet it still shakes on the freeway horribly. It is not a bad car, it's still really fun to drive. I love the 5-speed transmission and I got it at a really good price too.

Disappointed
By ksdclan on 02/16/06 22:02 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We loved our Mitsubishi Lancer until we found out that once we recked the vehicle in an accident that the air bag did not go off. Our vehicle was totaled in the accident. The whole front of the car was torn in half and sqished into the front tires and the air bag never deploied. I am dissappointed in the car.

70,000 Milles and still very happy!
By Raul O on 02/02/06 21:26 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Mitsubishi Lancer for three years now, driving from Miami to New York, trailering my 850 pounds jet ski to the bay all weekends and the car still is like new condition. The only repairs that I have done besides oil changes, change spark plugs, filter and alignment, have been to replace the spark plug wires. I am really happy with the reliability of this car. It has a lot of space, is strong enough to pull the jet ski or a boat off the ramp on the weekends, and has good interior space. I am 6'2" and fit perfectly and comfortably in the car. Thus far my Lancer has been a very dependable car.