2002 Mitsubishi Lancer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:
Brilliant little car
By crazehen on 07/24/14 01:50 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

To be a successful economy car, the vehicle in question has to have two things going for it; reliability and fuel economy. With that said, the Lancer is by far the best car I've ever owned. It's been reliable as a rock and the engine can take a serious beating. It'll get 26 miles per gallon with your foot welded to the floor, and 35 while driving Miss Daisy across the country. Need I say more? Why not. On top of those things, it's also roomy, comfortable, the stereo sounds great, the A/C will freeze your hands off and the heater makes Hell seem cold. I took this car on a 3,500 mile journey across the country and it didn't give me any trouble. A bold claim for a 12 year old 165k mile car.

Amazing car!!!
By rod_1 on 06/29/13 13:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car is overall an amazing car. We bought it in 2004 with 58k on the odometer. We used it for trips and put a heavily amount of miles on the car. This car has lasted us a long while until the radiator busted a hole due to the fan going out. The car had too many miles on it to even bother putting money into it but the car now has 275k on the odometer last time we looked and has lasted a very long while. We've put a few dings and bruises on the car due to a dog jumping out in front of us and a go kart smashing into the side of it but it still went. It's protected us in many other situations too. I would recommend this car for anyone. We are looking for another one. Best car we ever owned!

2002 Mitsu OZ Lancer
By OZ Lancer Fan on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new. Eight years later, I have had no major problems with the car. I am currently at 145,000 miles and the car still retains the original timing belt! Other than the timing belt, I've kept to the suggested maintenance schedule and have had no problems. With a regular waxing, twice a year, the car also has no rust. I would recommend for higher mileage cars "Mobile Synthetic Oil- High Mileage". I noticed that you get more power than other oils. This is a low maintenance car, and I plan on having this as my daily driver for a good 200k-400k more miles. I believe this is doable with the lack of problems I have had with this car. I highly recommend Mitsu Lancers.

Great Little Dependable Car
By edawg on 05/01/09 11:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new in 2002. I have been both surprised and pleased. I have only put 28,000 miles on it, and the car has surpassed my expectations. The gas mileage both in town and on the highway is great, but the best thing about the car is that the only maintenance it has required has been regular oil changes and new tires. Considering the engine it has, the car has decent pickup upon acceleration, and is fun to drive. I expect my Lancer to last me for years to come. I highly recommend this car.

194K and still runnnin like new....
By AliG on 04/16/09 15:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Won't say I'm an expert, but this car did really save me a lot of money during rough student life. I bought it with 163K and only thing I did is a tune-up and not so regular oil changes...even then thank God no problems! I am actually shocked it survived me...I'm neither bad or really good care taker, but this car is a really tough nut! I have no leaks, occasionally some noises (with oil change they go away)?!...very DEPENDABLE car!

Reliable cheap transportation
By Brian on 04/09/09 11:58 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased with 24,000 miles, formerly a rental. Plain car, cheap transportation. I bought it for $6600 and have put 125,000 miles on it with no repairs. It has been a great deal. The car rides like a cheap little car and has lots of wind noise. The seats are not real comfortable, but do offer plenty of leg and head room. Four adults can ride in the car relatively comfortably.

Can't help but love and respect this car
By Reluctant respect on 04/02/09 11:32 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I had to - I hit an economic tough patch and had to downsize from my previously owned semi-luxury car. For the first 2 years, I hated the car and made jokes about it. But now, about 5 years in, I have to take my hat off. It has run great, with very little maintenance needed. Something else I have to mention: even today, I'm getting about 30 miles to the gallon - no lie! The car now has about 160,000 miles on it, and it's showing no signs of quitting. It really won me over as a Mitsubishi fan, especially since I so badly wanted to keep making fun of it after I got it. But now, all I do is smile and admit that I couldn't have been more wrong.

Awesome, dependable car
By Greg on 03/19/09 19:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Took a chance when I brought this car brand new in 2001, very much a Honda/Toyota lover because of their reliability. I have been more than happy with this car - very little has gone wrong with it and I am almost at 197,000 miles!!! This thing drives great, with so many miles still gets around 35 mpg!!! When this car finally dies I will most likely get another Mitsubishi.

Tortured
By ozrally on 03/19/09 07:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car since 2003 purchased for 16,000 with 22k miles on it. It now holds 180k for commute. Been in three wrecks 1) old man cut me off and I trash is bumper all I did was crack my bumper and headlight. 2 hit a dear at 50 mph and knocked paint off and 3 hit a ditch sideways at about 85 mph flew out of thedmunds - once a weeke ditch and got stuck. Just had to replace a strut and some tires. Car looks like a mess but still gets me 40 mpg. Only change oil and tires. Have not even changed spark plugs or wires or belts and still pull strong like the day I got it. Clutch went out at 90k. Fairly easy to replace myself as it was my first try at clutch replacement. I drive a year on new tires without rotation.

Excellent car
By vildal on 03/07/09 08:41 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When purchased it was extremely zippy and quick. At 100,000 miles it got sluggish until the ALTERNATOR belt was replaced. The 2 spark plug wires that go into the engine made more spark too. This performance of the Lancer depends highly on spark. Great car - clutch goes out at 100,000 only. No other repairs.