2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Consumer Review: Still love it after 10 years

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback - Consumer Review

LS Wagon (2.4L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Still love it after 10 years
By niftybergin on

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback LS 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just turned over 155,000 miles in my Sportback, bought new in 2004.
Have to say that I still love this car!
I've kept up with the annual maintenance, use fully synthetic oil and high-test gas, and it runs great.
Smooth and quiet. One major repair -- the A/C -- in all this time.
Everything else has just been regular maintenance.
Love that it has good pick-up when I need it to and that it's got enough power to handle mountainous roads.
Even after 10 years and 155K miles, I still get 25 MPG city / 31 MPG hwy.

Great interior space. I use the far-back cargo space for hauling my large dog, but even the back-seat legroom is not too bad. I test-drove the 2004 Outlander at the same time, but ultimately chose the Sportback because it handled like a smaller car, which I liked. Also like that the driver's seat is height-adjustable, which picks me up off the road and makes the car easier to get in and out of.

Could wish that it had a bit more external style and flair, but it's an economy car, so the plainness is not objectionable.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By niftybergin
on 03/07/16 20:09 PM (PST)

Almost 2 years have passed since I posted my review. Just turned over 186,000 miles and my little Sportback is as awesome as ever. In the last two years I've done regular maintenance -- brakes, annual maintenance, timing belt (at 177K miles), oil changes, etc. -- and this past December had to replace tie rods and an engine roll stopper, but that's it as far as actual repairs. Still getting 25 MPG in my normal commute (12 miles city/highway each way) and about 30 MPG on long interstate trips. Best car ever! How I WISH Mitsubishi would produce another true wagon!