A Great Sportswagon
By craig24 on
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)
This sports wagon is perfect for me. It has everything I want and none of what I don't. I wanted; a used, fun-to-drive, reasonably priced, reliable, roomy, comfy, fuel efficient, wagon with great visibility, low insurance and a compromise between sporty handling and good ride quality. I didn't want; expensive repairs & maintenance, electric leather seats, a sunroof, climate control (A/C button & dials are best), paying extra for a badge, a boring vehicle, an SUV. The Lancer Ralliart wagon has all of this and more. It's a great car for; commuting, driving spiritedly (it's not fast but sporty and rewarding), highway cruising, moving furniture, grocery shopping, carrying sports equipment.
Favorite Features
I have only had the car 2 years and it's been fantastic. This review may sound redundant after reading all the others but here goes; Excellent build quality (reliable so far), tons of fun to drive, interior space is deceivingly large, decent fuel economy, well programmed auto trans., outstanding visibility (newer cars are terrible in this aspect), seats are amazingly comfortable in short and long trips, cloth (cool in Summer, neutral in Winter) and hold me firmly in spirited driving, engine is torquey at low revs and once it hits 3500 rpm it races to the redline, throaty exhaust sound but not buzzy while cruising, nice sound system (replaced head unit w ipod input), simple ergonomics.
Suggested Improvements
Make it again so I can buy a (newer) used one that has depreciated significantly when mine dies. The new Ralliarts are hatchbacks, not wagons. The auto is great but I would have liked to try one with a manual transmission. Slightly higher ride height (1 inch) and sometimes I wish the suspension was a little less firm (only when I drive on some of the abominations that are referred to as "roads" in the Mid-West). Hit the industry with a marketing campaign similar to one that made small hatchbacks cool again. Wagons should be the future, they perform as cars but can have as much space as SUVs. Hopefully higher fuel prices will push us in the direction of Europe, where wagons outsell cars.