2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer Sportback model:
Still love it after 10 years
By niftybergin on 05/02/14 19:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just turned over 155,000 miles in my Sportback, bought new in 2004. Have to say that I still love this car! I've kept up with the annual maintenance, use fully synthetic oil and high-test gas, and it runs great. Smooth and quiet. One major repair -- the A/C -- in all this time. Everything else has just been regular maintenance. Love that it has good pick-up when I need it to and that it's got enough power to handle mountainous roads. Even after 10 years and 155K miles, I still get 25 MPG city / 31 MPG hwy.

A Great Sportswagon
By craig24 on 04/20/12 14:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Wagon Ralliart 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This sports wagon is perfect for me. It has everything I want and none of what I don't. I wanted; a used, fun-to-drive, reasonably priced, reliable, roomy, comfy, fuel efficient, wagon with great visibility, low insurance and a compromise between sporty handling and good ride quality. I didn't want; expensive repairs & maintenance, electric leather seats, a sunroof, climate control (A/C button & dials are best), paying extra for a badge, a boring vehicle, an SUV. The Lancer Ralliart wagon has all of this and more. It's a great car for; commuting, driving spiritedly (it's not fast but sporty and rewarding), highway cruising, moving furniture, grocery shopping, carrying sports equipment.

Buy it if it is cheap
By MD driver on 03/04/10 06:38 AM (PST)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Wagon Ralliart 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When you need a cargo space, there is no better choice than this car, really. Mivech works great and runs surprisingly good for a wagon. In reliability and built quality, this car will not be as good as any other major Japanese makers, but again, this car got cargo space that no other matches, at least with good gas mileage of a car instead of an SUV. So, there is only 2 reason to buy this car, cargo space, cheaper price, at least in used market, Mitsubishi goes way cheaper than Toyota or Honda. If money and cargo space is important to you, this car is for you.

Storage and performance
By Don Andretti on 02/08/09 00:18 AM (PST)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this new. The seats are great, the head rests sit perfect so I can leave my head on the head rest while driving. The roof rack is great to hold cargo box. Suspension is stiff enough that the cargo loaded down for camping is forgotten about. I normal drive with a tool box in back and corners and pulls like a sport coupe. I bought this to keep up with my Datsun 280ZX that I still drive. The Sportback will out straight line and corner the Z but will not give you the precise feedback of the Z saying that about a wagon that gets the same MPG as My Z is amazing I now have 66k miles on the Wagon. MPG 29 hy "towing a HondaTRX450R" 26 hy PS this replaced my Dodge D-50 SP 5 sp

Long Term Review
By IowaRalliart on 01/22/08 20:24 PM (PST)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Wagon Ralliart 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought our 2004 Ralliart Sportback brand new in February 2005. Just turned 22000 miles (Jan 2008). Knock on wood the car has been free of any problems of any kind. Short of routine maintenance the only thing I've had to do is change a tail light bulb. Car is comfortable but about 5 hours into a long trip I find myself wishing for just a little bit more lower back support. Fit and finish is excellent inside and out. For a wagon it's peppy and handles very well. Gas mileage is what I'd expect for a sport wagon and the engine sings over 3500rpm which is when the engine kicks over to the second cam profile. Ride is stiffer but it's suppose to be - sport suspension. Very happy with the car.

A fine vehicle
By Ping on 12/28/07 21:35 PM (PST)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Wagon Ralliart 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just finished driving it hauling a 1500 lbs 5 by 8 moving trailer from Florida to California in 4 1/2 days. The longest day was acroos Texas, 750 miles day. No problem what so ever!! If you can be really gentle on the gas pedal like myself, 24mpg with that kind of load is possible. On the hills it struggles a bit. The sweet spot for the rpm is arond 2200 to 2600. I found that at the 4th gear this would give you 50~63 mph and really efficient. 32~35mpg on the high way is possible if you do this constantly. I had the car for more than 3 years now. Admitted, it is not a luxury car, but it's practical and you can almost say it's fun to drive.

Best car
By fifthbooth on 06/29/07 08:07 AM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Wagon Ralliart 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Of the 16 new cars I've purchased, this one is far and away the best car I've owned and the least problematic. Only one warranty issue in 30k miles. Comfortable on my 17 hour drives between Portand and Palm Springs. Paint seems thin to me, lots of road rash on hood and windshield. Would have bought two if I could! I'm not overly concerned with mid 20s gas mileage as I would rather have the performance and smiles per mile. Would love to have this wagon in EVO form which they sell in Japan.

Update
By AJL on 06/01/07 04:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have stopped using the car for business (see previous reviews) and have started using it for commuting. The car is still holding up very well and has been one of the best cars I've ever owned mechanically. Still no squeaks or rattles, engine uses no oil between changes. The storage space is excellent for a small wagon and the overall performance of the car My only big complaint is that fuel mileage is awful and has decreased big time since I began all-city driving. I'm now lucky to average 18-19 mpg around town, which is absurd for a small, 4 cylinder wagon. I'm fairly conservative driving it 90% of the time, although I do like to have fun now and then.

Good engine, poor interior
By Alex on 03/22/07 16:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car has a smooth, powerful 4-cyl engine tucked inside a body of average quality. It runs quietly, great acceleration and quick handling, with plenty of power for nimble highway and city driving. The frame is moderately stiff, and the ride can feel a little rough at higher speeds. The exterior design is cool, looking almost like a Volvo wagon from the rear. However, the paint job is horrible, easily scuffing and flaking after the slightest scratch on the bumpers or quarter panels. The console and dashboard designs are logical, with controls well spaced and easy to access, but the function of the cheap plastic controls is terrible, as is the design of the windshield defrost vent.

New Car Broken Down Twice
By Jennifer on 12/28/06 08:03 AM (PST)

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Wagon Ralliart 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We traded in our 2000 Galant for another Mitsubishi because we were so happy with our Galant, only I think somehow we bought a lemon. It has broken down on me twice with my two kids in the car. I had to wait hours for a tow truck. Thankfully the tow and repair were covered (yet the whole process still cost me $600 in "necessary" (according to the dealership) tune up fees, plus the cost of a rental car. Not four months after my tune up, my car broke again. The first time was a faulty crank sensor (whatever the heck that is) and second time was some accelerator sensor. Oh and they also had to fix a leaky shock and the mid rear restraint that never worked off the lot. Buyers beware. I;m done with Mitsubishi.