2014 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mitsubishi Lancer-evolution - Consumer Reviews

2014 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Sedan

View reviews for a specific Lancer Evolution model:

A future classic that you are falling in love!
By havevowillhoon

2014 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Sedan GSR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I brought Evo last winter after looking for a number of $40k range cars. What a great choice! Before, I relax by playing video games. Now, whenever I have downtime, I crave to drive the Evo. Evo is a wicked fun car. I can say that only the 90-05 NSX, certain 911s and a few Italian supercars can give you more exciting experience. Even the GT-R feels less crispy and exhilarating for daily driving. I have also learned a few tricked from the forum. When tailgated, take a ramp with cruise control on and watch the tailgater understeers like hell. Get winter tires, and a snow day is the best time to hoon around town and party while others are struck. What's not to love about owning an Evo?

Favorite Features

Mitsubishi has improved a number of things for the 2014 models. I'm surprised to find that the Omron relays that are prone to fail are now replaced by black Panasonic relays. Also, the fuel pressure regulator hose is very tight. Clutch master cylinder is now the post-recall version, constructed with reinforced plastic. Thus, this may be the most mechanically reliable Evo by far. The Recaro leather seats (SR option) are of very high quality. The 4th gen. navigation unit (navi option) is actually even more friendly to use than a Kenwood unit, although its routing algorithm is just as retarded as Garmin. As last, the Rockford Fosgate audio (SS option) sounds nothing short of a music hall.

Suggested Improvements

1) Steering wheel doesn't telescope. With it this far and pedals this close, the seating position ergonomics is perfect for monkeys. 2) Road noise is monstrous even with SR option's additional insulation. 3) Even the HID, headlights and fog lights are too dim at night. 4) You need ETACS to configure user options, like disabling the TPMS. This is torturous. 5) Paint is anorexically thin and all you get is stone chips. 6) Tranny and shifter has gear grinding and shifting precision issues. 7) Strut springs are not progressive. With KYB shock "absorbers," it's so stiff on the street but slow at corners 8) Stock brake pads are so dusty that they drive you crazy.