Used 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Lancer Evolution model:

Still going strong after 2 years
By maldris

2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Evo for 2 years, and it's still going strong. I've kept up with the oil changes and other maintenance check-ups with no problems. The Evo's acceleration is very nice - it will kick you into your seat once the RPMs hit 4k (and you can pretty much keep your engine at 4k if you wanted to). Turbo lag exists, but I only notice it before 10mph - after that, it more than makes up for any time lost. Turning a corner is one of the best things to do in an Evo - it loves corners. When other cars slow down in a corner, the Evo seems to want to do the opposite. It's fancy rally-bred suspension and differential make cornering extremely easy. Simply put, this car is a blast to drive.

Favorite Features

Acceleration: You can effectively pass other cars on the freeway WITHOUT downshifting most of the time. If you do downshift, the car roars forward even faster, but usually this is never needed. Handling: The handling is also great. You can take roundabouts at a much higher speed than most any other car out there. (Please be careful.) And when you get to a twisty road - the fun begins. Seats: The two front seats are Recaro seats meant for holding you in place at high speed turns - I love them. In the back, my young son can sit comfortably in his booster seat with no problems. This is a performance car that can do the normal family sedan tasks with ease.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel Efficiency: Most sport-sedans aren't very fuel-efficient, but getting it above 20mpg would be nice. Interior: The interior is pretty much econo-car quality. The plastics and trim are barely acceptable for a car that costs 32k. It would be nice for Mitsubishi to make a better interior for that kind of money. A 6th gear for the GSR version: The GSR version is a 5speed manual. At freeway speed, the 5th top gear makes the engine run at 3.2k - which is noisy. Road noise: Better sound insulation would help this. Trunk Space: The trunk space is minimal at best. But I have managed to go to Costco and fill it without problems. Still, making more trunk space would be nice.

Most fun you will have on 4 wheels
By yellowfever

2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned Range Rovers (traded it in for the Evo) BMW's, [non-permissible content removed], have driven Porsche's, Lexus, and Mercedes. The Evo by far is the most fun I have ever had in a car. It just feels so raw. Like a car built for one purpose, to go fast in the turns. If you are particular about the interior you are missing the point of this car. BTW, the interior isn't that bad, at least not on the 2012 I have. Mine is only a month old. I get a rattle every once in awhile but to me that adds to the feel of the car. The vibration caused by the motor and tight suspension causing a rattle just makes it feel all the more "serious".

Favorite Features

The seats, the sound of the motor, the looks and by far the handling. I have taken on/off ramps at speeds that brought tears to my eyes. Speeds that once I was out of the turn I had to pinch myself to make sure I was awake because there is no way I should have made a turn at that speed and not have put myself into a wall. The AWD and active YAW control literally seem to change the laws of physics and let you do things in the car that should not be able to be done. It's a supercar at an affordable price. A bonus is the look on the BMW M3 and Porsche drivers face when they can't seem to shake the 40k$ Japanese car in the turns. A few mods and they won't pull away in the straights.

Suggested Improvements

I would prefer a little more power off the showroom floor, although it has plenty of power for the average person. But I don't think the average person buys a car like this. The great thing about the Evo is it comes WAY under tuned and has a lot of power waiting to be released with a few bolt on mods and a tune. Ran out of room in the Fav Features but another is they are not a DIME A DOZEN like BMW's. At least not here in Irvine, CA. I have seen one on the street in the month I have had mine. And the BIG wing and rear diffuser isn't for looks, it does serve a purpose. DOWNFORCE.

LOVE IT! But don't buy it for the Build Quality.
By notstock

2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I unequivocally LOVE this car. Squeaks rattles and endless, monotonous, cheap plastic and all. I knew going into this deal that build quality and interior materials weren't going to be top notch and I was right. HORRIBLE rattles everywhere! I have 5 separate rattles that happen at all different speeds and frequency's. I have a low speed rattle coming from the drivers side door panel, two acceleration rattles coming from the center console and the dash, and a cruising rattle coming from the passenger side dash. I've been to three separate dealers a total of 7 times to try and fix the rattles with no luck. But all I have to do is mash the throttle and I somehow forget about the rattl

Favorite Features

The transmission is a marvel. I scoff at the 'purists' who say only a manual transmission belongs. I have a family and a wife who doesn't know how to drive a manual. There are times that I NEED her to be able to drive this car. (Not often thank God) Getting stuck in stop and go traffic I'm very thankful for the auto mode. It shifts faster than any human could which equals faster lap times on track days. Still an absolute blast to drive, still get to choose your own gears when and where you want. How is that a bad thing?

Suggested Improvements

Listen up Mitsubishi...DON"T kill the EVO!!! It just needs a few things to be perfect! *Height adjustable seats. *Tilting AND TELESCOPING wheel. *A few soft touch materials and a break up of the monotonous and desert like expanse of dull plastics would be nice. *FIX THE MOTHER ******* RATTLES!!

My Evo
By Jeremy K

2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I took home my 2010 Evo MR in rally red after driving all the way to Costa Mesa, CA from Billings, MT. Mine came equipped with the Aero kit, Sport interior, and chrome packages. So far I have loved the car immensely and there is no part of me that expects to get bored with it at all. The SST transmission is amazing and the overall performance is always engaging. My only complaints are poor fuel economy due to the rich factory tune and the slight top-end power drop off due to boost taper (also from factory tune) I am preparing to tune the car which will fix both of these issues and will only make the car better. If you want an exclusive car which definitely makes you feel alive, this is it.

Favorite Features

-SST Transmision -Razor sharp handling -Recaro Seats -Launch Control -22 pounds of boost stock (most aftermarket turbo systems for any car make between 6-8 psi) -Aggressive styling -Lots of technology

Suggested Improvements

-Lean out the factory tune a bit more (better than 10:1)and reduce the boost drop off at top end -OEM tires will wear very fast(make sure to get alignment right away to make them last a little longer) -interior materials -paint could be a little more durable -OEM amplifier holds back sound a bit

STi to EVO
By snowman4us

2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I went from a 2008 STi to the 2010 EVO X. STi had a much more pleasant interior, however the seats in the X are amazing. SSS package is a must, and is well worth it. The biggest complaint is overall build quality compared to the STi and the lack of space. Buttons feel cheaper, seating position is not great, even though the seats are amazing. You cant go wrong with either car, but if you want the closest thing to the X you would need to buy a 2011 STi, as 08-2010 don't compare. Paint quality seems to be better then the Subaru, along with less turbo lag (even though its .5 L smaller motor). Probably the biggest difference is fuel economy. The 5 spd is to short and gets 8mpg less the STi got.

Favorite Features

Handling out of the box, engine response, seats, and aggressive looks. This car is a blast to drive, always in power, and phenomenal brakes. The SSS package is a must, and the 2K more is well worth it.

Suggested Improvements

Better overall fit and finish. I got the car brand new and it had small rattles pulling off the dealer lot. Also after 600miles the MAF sensor failed, which is a common problem and got replaced with a upgraded unit by the dealer with no questions. Cheap feeling buttons, and very poor fuel economy.