2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer Evolution model:
Great Car Horrible Warranty
By evo10 on 05/02/11 21:57 PM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i bought the car with high hopes for the first month loved it fun to drive great car but i started to notice little issues with the transmission it progressively got worse it started to pop second out when you down shift so i took it back to mitsubishi and there service dept. is horrible gave me the run around every time i call they say there going to call me back i have to keep calling them they didn't even provide me a rental took them a week to remove the transmission and now i have to wait for mitsubishi to give the ok to repair or replace it during all this im paying for a car that i cant drive and mitsubishi wont give me a rental but they expect me to pay

Amazing Evo X
By grayevox on 02/21/10 06:54 AM (PST)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This AMAZING car is my daily driver and our family car for almost 2 years now. It's very reliable, safe, and SCARY-FAST around the curves, due to it's superb AWD system. It has an extremely responsive handling on asphalt and is very nimble in the pouring rain. It truly is a great TUNER'S car and the 4B11T engine will easily handle 400hp to 500hp:) The interior is mediocre and the trunk is tiny, but the Recaro seats and RockFord sound system are excellent. Gas mileage isn't too bad, my average is 24-26mpg on the hwy. Draft behind an SUV within my 40 mile commute and my 450hp Evo can get 26-28mpg. Considering price and performance potential, the Evo is hard to beat.

Nothing in the price range to beat it...
By Guitarist30 on 11/15/09 00:05 AM (PST)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Performance? Oh yeah.. I owned the Evo IX and this car to me is MUCH better. It still has the cheap interior, thin paint, and bad gas mileage, but the X is a MUCH more comfortable car overall. I'm not a big aftermarket guy, but a tune really goes a leap ahead of what is already an excellent car performance wise. The S-AWC makes the new safe Evo even more safe than it already is by letting you turn the car suddenly without it even batting an eye. Like others have said and will say a strong 6 speed manual would be nice, but I don't drive fast where I live... the speed limit is still 55 and with the tune and a bit of added timing I can get 24-26 on the highway.

Great For The Buy
By JAY on 08/10/09 09:11 AM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just bought the car. Put about 1500 miles on her. Runs great. Don't really care about the interior. Bought it just for outside look and performance. Drifted around 80 degree turn at 80mph. Handles great! This is a sports car.....Not made for comfort. Don't buy if you want comfort. I bought it for drifting.

Lancer Evolution
By Smith Chaiyakan on 07/16/09 07:43 AM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Well, this isn't your normal Lancer. Owned this car for 1 year and had no problem but the clutch... I don't even drive hard or launch the car, but around 12k I had to change out the clutch. I ended up getting aftermarket clutch and new flywheel because of the warp. Beside that I enjoy the car and the fun that comes with it. I joined a local car club and ended up mod a bit out of the car... Gas stinks, but it is a 2.0 pushing out near 300hp on a 3k pound car... Love it... Interior is so so if you got the base model, but an EVO is made for driving not luxury.

One of the best performance cars!
By Mitsu guy! on 07/05/09 09:23 AM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I had this car for 1 year now and still love the drive feel of the car. One of the best performance cars I ever driven. Exterior looks stunning. Handling is fantastic. Not so good on the gas mileage, especially with small tank (means need to fill up more often), but looking performance wise not too bad. Need better quality interior for the price of the car. As for reliability, need to do something for the stone chips problems.

2008 GSR SSS/AERO
By Andersen on 07/01/09 09:43 AM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

No test drive, I knew what I was getting into. First time driving it out of the dealer lot...WOW! This monster has torque, seats are supportive but very difficult to adjust when reclining. The interior plastic parts are below average compared to my 06 Civic. The plastics are flimsy and cheap to the touch. The transmission is notchy [esp. upshifting to 2nd gear and when compared to HONDA tranny]. I've had 2003 WRX so this GSR's tranny isn't that much of a complaint to me.

Super fun car
By bneufelder on 04/28/09 14:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Evo and had it shipped across the country without ever test driving it. I was a bit skeptical but read several reviews and bit the bullet. Driving this car is exhilarating. Every time I am behind the will I'm grinning ear to ear. It's by far the fastest car I've ever driven and for the money it's a steal.

Great Spors Sedan
By jimm on 04/02/09 09:33 AM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 1yr, still very happy with the purchase. Easily better than the STi which is more expensive. Did great through the winter. Always gets looks and continues to be fun to drive.

I will Never buy Mitsubishi again!
By Sad Mitsu Owner on 04/02/09 08:57 AM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We have now owned our 2008 EVO for four months now. At first, I will say that we were very excited about our purchase. That was until we waxed the vehicle for the fourth time 1 1/2 weeks ago. My husband noticed a massive amount of paint chips above the rear tires on both sides of the car and also on the hood. I searched the web, and found we are not alone! Tons of people have this affliction, and Mitsubishi has done nothing for most of them. Do not buy this vehicle unless you want your paint to chip off, or your windshield to chip with 3000 miles on the car. Very poorly made and will not last. Worst purchase we have ever made as far as quality. Huge regrets.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution in NJ is:

$287 per month*