Used 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Lancer Evolution model:

This car has everything
By Tim

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the ultimate car. It is VERY fast, and handles like you're bolted to the road. The seats hold you tight when taking the corners, and the Infinity stereo in it is phenominal for a factory system (optional Sun, Sound and Leather package - highly recommended). However, it also has mounting brackets for my son's car seat, and the trunk is big enough so I can easily fit a few sets of golf clubs. We have nasty winters, but with the AWD and a set of Blizzaks, this is the best winter car I've ever had (better than my wife's 4WD SUV). Considering the performance the gas milage is outstanding. I was looking for a daily driver that had everything, and this is it.

Favorite Features

Incredible performance, 4 doors, good size trunk, AWD, good gas mileage, kickin' stereo .... did I mention Incredible performance?

Suggested Improvements

I put mudflaps on it to protect the paint in winter. I personally might change out the struts, because the stance is a little high in front. Also, maybe a stainless or titanium exhaust because my stock one already has surface rust from the winter driving.

Whats not to like?
By Ryan

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR Edition 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The Lancer Evolution is a blast to own, It has excellent acceleration, steering, and braking. Its maintenance costs are higher than an economy vehicle's but no higher than any other performance wehicle.

Favorite Features

The power and acceleration

Suggested Improvements

None

A True Driver's Car
By Organicwheels

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If driving is just a necessary part of your day to get from point A to point B and you would rather spend the time talking on your cell phone, then this is not the car for you. But for us serious enthusiasts who LOVE to drive and KNOW how to drive, the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII may be the best car on the planet, at any price! I drive an 18 wheeler all over the country, but when I'm in my own private vehicle, this is definitely my vehicle of choice.

Favorite Features

The handling and acceleration are top notch! This car is well balanced! It provides excellent feedback, the car tells you exactly where the limits are!

Suggested Improvements

It is difficult to recline the seats. It needs steel rims for winter driving and those of us who need snow tires. Also, it needs cruise control.

2005 better than 2003!
By Chick 'N Evo

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We purchased a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII in March 2004 and decided to trade it in for a more "practical" daily driver 8 months later: an Acura RSX-S. Though the Acura is an all around great car, we missed the turbo charged, AWD Evo and went back to it. The overall purchasing process was not bad. We purchased from the same sales rep, and dealership both times. The Mitsubishi "special financing" was a joke! Buyer beware: purchasing an Evo includes Yokohama tires that are not winter-friendly. The odd tire size puts snow tires anywhere from $150 - $200 each. Overall this is a GREAT CAR - even as a "family sedan." We couldn't be happier the second time around :). It's comfortable for business or family, fast, and handles like a brick.

Favorite Features

The leather racing seats are extremely comfortable! So is the back seat. The stereo w/sub has improved greatly from the 2003 model! I love the great acceleration, awsome handling, center placement of the RPM gauge, and the lack of blind spots.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the gas mileage. Add an optional MP3 player. The recliner knobs on the front seats are a pain! There is little room to get your hand in between the seat and door to turn this oddly shaped knob. Add a change/coin holder, cruise control, and a trunk opener on the remote.

Other than the clutch
By James

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Other than having to replace the clutch at 3,000 miles, my 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII was great...I say was because a friend introduced it to a tree at 45 mph. The tree won.

Favorite Features

The handling, this car is a dream.

Suggested Improvements

Poor customer service from Mitsubishi