2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Consumer Reviews

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution RS 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

View reviews for a specific Lancer Evolution model:
After 5 years as a daily driver
By Tim on 05/25/10 11:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am the same "Tim" who wrote a review on 3/15/2006, and I just sold the car. It was a great car to have for 5 years, and it certainly is fast and fun, but the quality and reliability of the car was definitely lacking. I had the AWD pump die 3 times, random sensors blew, and the car developed rattles all the time that needed to be fixed. Not to mention, the car was kept clean and waxed every few months, but the paint developed rust in 5 areas after 4 years. My wife's SUV is 8 years old, gets waxed probably once a year, and has no rust. Also, very expensive to maintain so know that going in or you're going to have significant sticker shock when you bring it in for service.

Awesome - but you'll pay to play
By Timmy on 11/30/08 11:06 AM (PST)

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Evo VIII for 3 years now, and it's an awesome car. Great power, handling, and braking. The Recaro seats are awesome; plenty of room/trunk space. The AWD is wonderful - especially for winter driving (but you need snow tires). Downside is, everything about this car is expensive. Premium gas only, and unless you drive like an old man, you'll rarely get more than maybe 20- 21 mpg. Takes only synthetic motor oil. OEM Brembo brake pads cost over $300 per side, and keep up with pads because replacing rotors will cost you over a grand per side. OEM tires last about 10K miles, and cost over $300 per tire. That's just the wearables - replacing components costs more.

Built with a purpose: speed with control
By roadrocket007 on 09/13/07 21:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have driven much more expensive sports cars, with more horsepower, better looking (maybe), more luxurious, etc., but nothing will deliver the same performance package that the Evo does. This is a machine built with one specific purpose in mind: highest level of performance by combining power with precise delivery and control. No car on the road costing less than 100k will give so much road feel, precise turning and confidence like the Lancer Evolution. This car tells you exactly what's going on from the contact patch level to the steering wheel. You can increase the power, handling, grip, etc., for less money than other cars. This is a car for the purist not poseurs!

Fun car
By devildoc on 07/17/07 23:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution RS 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my EVO it has got to be the funnest car I have ever driven. I have had no problems with it at all. Even the cops seem to ignore it due to the lack of spoiler. There is plenty of space in the cabin for passengers or boxes. The only thing is due to the lack of fold down seats it is difficult to pack long items like snowboards in it. But if that is really what you are looking for then buy a truck.

Fun Car With Lots of Room for Improvement
By Jim P on 12/15/06 10:44 AM (PST)

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR Edition 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is the most fun vehicle I have ever driven, but I feel it lacks a lot of things for a near $37,000 car. The paint needs to be improved greatly, my front end looks like it's ten years old already.

Unbelievable
By jloya81 on 10/29/06 20:43 PM (PST)

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is unbelievable (and underrated). To be fair I test drove a few cars (The STi, TL, Boxster, Cayman and my friend's M3). Out of all the cars, this car just blew me away. This is an enthusiast's dream. True it has a bare bones interior but who needs a stereo when you have 285 horses buzzing? Some have said that the 5-speed isn't as smooth as Honda's but it feels much firmer and won't feel like it'll snap off during power shifts. This car won't get girl's attention until you smoke their boyfriend's Porsche. If you want attention, buy an overpriced convertible, if you want performance buy an Evo. BMW's lying..THIS is the ultimate driving machine!

Fun, but Mitsubishi Does Not Back Up Its Products
By james on 08/11/06 09:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Lancer Evolution is a fun car! However, Mitsubishi has problems with the synchros in the shifter. I could smell the clutch from this problem. Mitsubishi will not back their product. I had to pay to replace all of this at 3,000 miles. Mitsubishi knows about this problem. There are lots of articles out there about this, if you do a little research. By the time I did my research it was to late, I already bought the car. They give you this big warranty and look for reasons not to back their product.

EVO 8
By Jerry Smith on 06/03/06 15:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall the car is a excellent buy. I have no problems with the car. It has outstanding handeling in all weather and traffic conditions that are present in the Houston area. This is not a young person's car, it requires concentration and skill, when you make demands from the car it responds instantly. It takes some getting use to at first, then traffic or open road driving is no problem. I am considering buying my wife a Evo 10 as soon as they hit the dealers.

Evo after 18 months
By steve on 06/01/06 14:48 PM (PDT)

I love this car. Thanks to Mitsubishi for building such a fun, focused affordable car! I replaced the Yoko. tires with an all season radials. The road noise and all weater traction advantage was worth the slight decrease in steering feel. The car seems to have gotten faster and just a bit louder after a few thousand miles. I runs very hard. I have changed the oil, aligned the wheels, replaced the tires (due to road noise), and changed the oil. It has never been back to the dealer for anything! Overall this car is an intoxicating blend of performance and reliablity at a reasonable price.

Disappointed
By Johnny Thor on 04/06/06 14:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I thought this car was amazing, but it has a ton of turbo lag. It handles like charm in the twisties, but in a straight line, it falls on its face at the top end. I have been seen Cobra, STi, Camaro SS, and even lowly SRT-4 models that are faster. Don't get me wrong this car is awesome for what it made for---rally; it turns like it's on rails.