Used 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Disappointed
By Johnny Thor

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I thought this car was amazing, but it has a ton of turbo lag. It handles like charm in the twisties, but in a straight line, it falls on its face at the top end. I have been seen Cobra, STi, Camaro SS, and even lowly SRT-4 models that are faster. Don't get me wrong this car is awesome for what it made for---rally; it turns like it's on rails.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade the turbo to a fast-spoolin one. I think that the one it has now, is too big.

EVO Driver
By EVO Driver

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

A good for the price vs performance.

Suggested Improvements

This car uses a lot of gas for how small the engine is, heavy weight, turbo takes a long time to spin up so a lot of lag, loud inside and whine of the engine you can tell it isn't a V8 roar, plastic interior, have had a lot of little problems but have gotten them fixed with the warranty.

Fun, but Mitsubishi Does Not Back Up Its Products
By james

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Lancer Evolution is a fun car! However, Mitsubishi has problems with the synchros in the shifter. I could smell the clutch from this problem. Mitsubishi will not back their product. I had to pay to replace all of this at 3,000 miles. Mitsubishi knows about this problem. There are lots of articles out there about this, if you do a little research. By the time I did my research it was to late, I already bought the car. They give you this big warranty and look for reasons not to back their product.

Favorite Features

2nd and 3rd gears are nice. 1st gear has a governer so you can't get off the line. It protects the rear end and tranny. 4th gear is my favorite! It gets you on the freeway.

Suggested Improvements

Beef up the synchros! Back up your product! The dealer waits for a rep before they fix anything under warranty. so all this comes directly from Mitsubishi!

Other than the clutch
By James

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Other than having to replace the clutch at 3,000 miles, my 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII was great...I say was because a friend introduced it to a tree at 45 mph. The tree won.

Favorite Features

The handling, this car is a dream.

Suggested Improvements

Poor customer service from Mitsubishi

Fun Car With Lots of Room for Improvement
By Jim P

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR Edition 4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is the most fun vehicle I have ever driven, but I feel it lacks a lot of things for a near $37,000 car. The paint needs to be improved greatly, my front end looks like it's ten years old already.

Favorite Features

Definitely the turbocharger and all-wheel drive. The car handles great and you can just about replace everything with improved parts from the aftermarket.

Suggested Improvements

Use more durable paint on the car and wheels. Tune the car so it's not pig rich. Use nicer interior panels, the car rattled with only 10,000 miles on it. Put a stronger clutch in the car.