2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV Consumer Review: The EV technology is ready

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV - Consumer Review

ES 4dr Hatchback (Electric 1-speed Direct Drive)

The EV technology is ready
By stan_cz on

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I have this car for a half year with 2800 miles on it and it became the primary car in our family. Our 2 kids love it, too. The car completely changed my way of thinking as EV owner and driver. Going to a gas station is now hassle to me. Range anxiety is non existent as I learned that I need to think just a little before going for a trip. If the expected distance is above 75-80 miles, I take our Jetta TDI, that simple. Very recently, I have taken my iMiEV for a long trip to test its range when driving up to 40 MPH w/o A/C. I was able to get 93.4 miles with 1 mile remaining. No need to reach for the hidden reserves. It is really fun to drive.

- The electric powertrain itself, its efficiency, design and reliability are the biggest strengths - 3 choices of driving mode - Practical design that offers good cargo space - Easy to make U-turns - Excellent front visibility - comfortably seats 4 tall people - 120V friendly. EVSE-Upgraded charger provides full charge in 13 hours on regular 120V outlet - favorable price of base model

- center arm rest (difficult) - speed sensitive volume control (wind & road noise @ higher speeds vs. absolute silence @ stops) - better power windows control (across all Mitsu's) - make the ABS check quiet (minor issue but doable) - Mitsu should improve their EV campaign. There are numbers of unfair negative reviews and it is such a pitty that this great car does not get the appreciation it deserves.