Used 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mitsubishi I-miev - Consumer Reviews

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV

View reviews for a specific i-MiEV model:

Best kept secret in the USA electric car market
By carefulbuyer4

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Had this car for nearly two years 10,000 miles. Better than expected. At the price, if Mitsubishi and its dealers had a clue how to sell these it should be the best selling EV in the USA. Worldwide there are more of these on the road (and have been on the road years longer) than any other commercial serious electric car. In my opinion, if you're shopping for an electric car in the under $33K range if you're lucky enough to be able to find one of these you'd do well to grab it. The demand is low because of lack of public knowledge of this car, but so is supply.

Favorite Features

Price. Reliability. Quietness. Actual economy (my actual out of pocket electrical charging cost for driving this works out to being equivalent to owning a gasoline car that gets 330miles per gallon. Cost may be higher a bit depending on how much electricity costs where you live. No oil changes. No fuel system. No exhaust system. No ignition system. On an electric car what's NOT here (and therefore can't go wrong or need servicing is as important as what's there.) Hundred of mechanical parts and other systems gas cars use simply don't exist in EVs.

Suggested Improvements

A few more inside storage compartments. And the sound system (the base model has no Bluetooth) should at least have an audio input jack.) Most important improvement is Mitsubishi needs to learn how to advertise and promote this car in the USA. For drivers over 5 foot 11 inches the drivers seat needs to be able to slide back further.

Not the only one in town anymore
By mitsulover

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Lack of back seat leg room and basic seat design meant I could only give the car a "3" for comfort (but it's not advertised as a family hauler anyway). I already had two Mitsus, so, I had to pick the I-MiEV over the Leaf. But if you have a family of 4, buy the Leaf. As with my other Mitsus, the Japanese built or designed models (think Lancer vs. Galant) seem to have a better build quality and design (this one has the "J" VIN). Like my Buell, this thing is still rare enough to get lots of people coming by with questions, so be prepared. At $0.15 per KWhr, I pay a little over $3 for a full (22 hrs @ 110V) charge which gives me a little over 60-miles on the freeway or 80+ in the city.

Favorite Features

Looks like a small Japanese car as opposed to a tree frog or German CUV spaceship; fits 6-ft Americans no problem; cooling system for battery means I never have to worry about frying it (don't buy a used Leaf from Arizona); say good-bye to smog checks and maintenance (all a dealer will do is check your battery anyway and since the front tires are smaller than back ones, you won't rotate tires-just top off the 12VDC battery and the window washer fluid in the front, check the coolant, and say good bye to dealer fees!) At around $12K after CA rebate and next year's Federal tax refund, price is a very nice feature! I get to drive in the carpool lane with no passengers until 2018!!!!

Suggested Improvements

If it had a longer range, I would like a center arm-rest. My premium SE has all of the bells and whistles (NAV, back-up camera, heated seats, etc.) so I guess having a giant solar panel on the roof to charge it while I am at work would be about the only thing I can think of (of course, if it did, it would cost a lot more).

I'm in LOVE!
By believe

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I can hardly believe how well this vehicle handles! My wife and I made the purchase in Virginia and drove it to Eastern Pennsylvania (our home). We drove through some wicked storms and a ton of traffic around DC and Baltimore and all I can say is this car is a dream to drive. We were able to stop at dealers (Nissan) for FREE charges on the way home. Our cost $0!! 169 miles for free!!! I'll be using it for work and our average cost will be around $2.51 per 100 miles or $12.55 for 500 miles of driving. You can't beat that! If I fill it up over night, the cost goes even lower.

Favorite Features

The air conditioner is great, even in sweltering heat. Really nice having the remote to cool it off before leaving work. The sterio is better than any car we have ever owned, and that is a lot of cars! Being 64 years old, I find the car very easy to get in and out of and I'm 6' 5"...215#. BTW ....this car is very fast off the line. I don't drive it like that, but the power is there when you want it. The seats are really comfy for a car this size. The handling is second to none. So smooth. Think about it....no oil changes, no gas stations, no smell from the exhaust, and just two things to chk for inspection, tires and brakes. I love everything about this car. Drive one, you'll buy it.

Suggested Improvements

nothing.

Can you tell I like my car?
By ev_owner

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

So far I've only had one month of ownership. No regrets. My other vehicle has been used just a few times since buying this one. There is enough torque/acceleration to pull away from the crowd at traffic lights if one wanted to. The comfort is not perfect for all day driving, but for the hour max that the car would be driven, it's adequate. The initial cost may be higher compared to other compact cars, but the eventual total cost of ownership is calculated to be lower. (Pay a little more up front for greater benefits down the road.) The vehicle is very stable since the wheels are located at the corners.

Favorite Features

It's relaxing when driving down the road and not having to listen to exhaust. The car is spartan and since the extra weight would only serve to limit the vehicle range, that's a good thing. I like the three driving/braking modes and find myself trying to beat the estimated driving range. Since my commute to work is only two miles, I like not worrying about an engine needing to get to full operating temperature. At 6'3" the tall roofline is welcome and I have no feeling of being cramped at all.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe in time something will come to mind. Right now I'm enjoying the honeymoon and hoping the novelty doesn't wear off. The only thing Mitsubishi should do different is advertise the heck out of this thing and spread the word that it is out there and their dealers are ready for the target audience.

Great little car
By sandange

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

We have had the car now for over 2 months & put over 5000 km on it. The car has performed better than we had hoped for, & it is our only car. Comfortable, great visibility, and quiet. We plan to swap for or rent a gas car should we need to go on any long trips. We are 2 drivers sharing this one electric car and it has already saved us a whole lot of money from fuel bills. There was an adjustment period to get comfortable with the range limits, no prob driving our regular routes, Work commute, Shopping, Family visits. Once we got familiar with the charging station locations, we started enjoying taking longer trips, venturing further and further. A great all round car

Favorite Features

Sitting up high Great visibility Quiet economical to charge

Suggested Improvements

Drivers arm rest