Used 2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Galant - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Galant model:

Transmission Problem
By richie6

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

BEWARE OF MITSUBISHI GALANT TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS (2003 for me) I learned the hard way from a excellent transmission shop about the flaw in my 3.0 V6 model with 4 speed automatic where these where a 'clip' deep inside the tranny breaks! This shop used to keep several extra trannys in the shop fully expecting to have customers come in for this very issue. He told me about it before he even opened it up and proved it to me! These broken pieces, for one scenario, end up in the pump causing your tranny to fail and needs to be rebuilt. One main sympton is it will not go into any gear! Sometimes you hear the rattling as you run it. Get newer kit if you rebuild it!

Almost Bulletproof
By du8y4

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Galant 2.4ES in 2005 with 54,000 miles on it for $8900 because it was all I could afford at the time and I'm anti-Honda. Good gas mileage, snappy for a 4cyl. After delivering Pizza's full time for several years and going on multiple trips to Yellowstone, it now has 235,000 on it. The only thing major was replacing the timing belt at just over 200,000. I will say also that it can get up the the 120mph that the speedometer says it'll go. (it just takes a while)

Favorite Features

Reliability! Roomy up front

Suggested Improvements

Heat/ac valve likes to fail. No biggy if you know where to tap under the dash.

Love Mitsubishi
By lcmitsu

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used from a dealer in January 2007 with 25,000 miles on it. I don't think I will ever buy anything other than a mitsubishi going forward. I have 82,500 on the car now and with regular maintenance I expect many more years of driving joy with mitsi. Before buying the car I did check Edmunds.com consumer reviews and Consumer Reports which both gave this car a great reviews. Thanks Edmunds.com for this site.

Favorite Features

Long seats so no backaches on long drives. Reliability. User friendly interior. Beautiful sky blue paint. Excellent sound system. Great A/C. With routine maintenance runs great.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more room in the back seat for passengers.

2003 Mitsubishi great car
By vtuk

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan GTZ V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car at 9,700mi and sold at 113,200mi. I have had this car for 7 years, no major problems. Mitsubishi galant never died on me. Build quality is good and I haven’t had any mechanical problems. Engine and tranny has been solid. I've never had anything done to it other than normal maintenance. (Except battery=95,000 mi and starter=93,000 mi.) The GTZ is a great looking car with everything included. Great acceleration and handles great on highways. Drove this car to Lake Tahoe (HWY 80 and 5).Car had enough power to go uphill. Not good for city because of big radius U-turn. I normally get 22 around town and 27 on the freeway. Car uses premium gas. This car is comfortable, solid, reliable, fast and safe. Poor resale value, but it is good for buyer.

A rallycross queen in family sedan's clothing.
By hush_hush

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I brought a used 2.4L I4 (SOHC 4G64) Galant ES for rallycross. The similarity of Galant's 4G64 and Lancer Evolution's DOHC 4G63T makes the swap drop-in easy, and the 5-speed transmission from Eclipse fits perfectly. With 10 grands, you'll have an autocross monster with 4G63T, 12 psi turbo, and ECU controlled boost; Dump another 20 grands, and you get a fancy built 500+hp rally queen filled with HKS goodies; Squeeze yourself hard for another 20 grands, this car is going to be a supercar. As they said, old school DSM are "dollar-per-hp champs" (IT 14.3 (2011): 12). Hands down.

Favorite Features

Stock: 23/30 mpg according to my own test. Impressively quiet when running. Adequate low end torque. Good performance in snow due to FF layout. Powerful A/C keeps you cool. Solid engine and transmission last forever (~300,000 miles) when not abused. Tuning: This car is created for 4G63T swap. Feather-light (~2900 lbs) as an Evo. Looks truly like a super car with a Dolphin Aeroform bumper and JDM VR4's body kit, headlights, taillights, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Stock: CD receiver is a piece of junk. Stock tires and rims are cheap trash. Interior parts need to be shipped from overseas to make it look luxury. Tuning: AWD conversion needs a [beep] lot of modification and customization. Chassis and welding work's quality is poor (somewhere half as rigid as Porsche 911T/Cadillac CTS-V/Nissan GTR), which necessitates extra chassis stiffening work. Bad weight distribution disqualifies it to champion Nürburgring lap time.