Used 2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Galant - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan

View reviews for a specific Galant model:

Love hate relationship
By yuuuup

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

bought it in 2008 with 39,000 mi., now has 160,000. A/C was clogged twice, heater door became stuck, and that's about it. I ride this bitch like a beast at an AVERAGE 80 mph on the freeway. The biggest issues are the maintenance issues that arise, such as the recurrence of misfires which can potentially damage your catalytic converter if not assessed ($900). This car is tough like a honda and can potentially be just as reliable at the cost of good maintenance. change the timing belt every 50-60 k miles. change the tran fluid every 40 k miles MAX! Make sure you put in luxury fluids, like amzoil, and mobil one. on my benefit, i bough it used with nearly new miles. used with high miles is iffy.

Favorite Features

With good maintaining I have served this bi-t-ch, the engine itself and the transmission as a whole have pulled there weight. many people complain about their cars and how they start messing up, but behind that curtain, they may not be keeping up with their cars, and if they are, its as common as Haily's comet passing by earth. another factor, what may seem chaper, will become costly in the end. castroil, penzoil, and all that bottom of the barrel junk just dont cut it. JUUUUST SAYING YO! in general, my car gets a 10 out of ten for never leaving me stranded to this day: now over 11 years old!

Suggested Improvements

im not one to cry over spilled milk, so the whole back seat too small issue done sailed away a long time ago. As well, this car is now discontinued as of 2013 and on. I will say, the sheet metal is not too sturdy, the interior in general feels semi-compact, despite the comfortable seats. the cars engine ticks when its in park, and is a trend based on others i have heard in these cars. gas mileage is mediocre. premium gas may help this issue, along with longevity.

Transmission Problem
By richie6

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

BEWARE OF MITSUBISHI GALANT TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS (2003 for me) I learned the hard way from a excellent transmission shop about the flaw in my 3.0 V6 model with 4 speed automatic where these where a 'clip' deep inside the tranny breaks! This shop used to keep several extra trannys in the shop fully expecting to have customers come in for this very issue. He told me about it before he even opened it up and proved it to me! These broken pieces, for one scenario, end up in the pump causing your tranny to fail and needs to be rebuilt. One main sympton is it will not go into any gear! Sometimes you hear the rattling as you run it. Get newer kit if you rebuild it!

Almost Bulletproof
By du8y4

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Galant 2.4ES in 2005 with 54,000 miles on it for $8900 because it was all I could afford at the time and I'm anti-Honda. Good gas mileage, snappy for a 4cyl. After delivering Pizza's full time for several years and going on multiple trips to Yellowstone, it now has 235,000 on it. The only thing major was replacing the timing belt at just over 200,000. I will say also that it can get up the the 120mph that the speedometer says it'll go. (it just takes a while)

Favorite Features

Reliability! Roomy up front

Suggested Improvements

Heat/ac valve likes to fail. No biggy if you know where to tap under the dash.

Love Mitsubishi
By lcmitsu

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used from a dealer in January 2007 with 25,000 miles on it. I don't think I will ever buy anything other than a mitsubishi going forward. I have 82,500 on the car now and with regular maintenance I expect many more years of driving joy with mitsi. Before buying the car I did check Edmunds.com consumer reviews and Consumer Reports which both gave this car a great reviews. Thanks Edmunds.com for this site.

Favorite Features

Long seats so no backaches on long drives. Reliability. User friendly interior. Beautiful sky blue paint. Excellent sound system. Great A/C. With routine maintenance runs great.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more room in the back seat for passengers.

2003 Mitsubishi great car
By vtuk

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan GTZ V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car at 9,700mi and sold at 113,200mi. I have had this car for 7 years, no major problems. Mitsubishi galant never died on me. Build quality is good and I havenít had any mechanical problems. Engine and tranny has been solid. I've never had anything done to it other than normal maintenance. (Except battery=95,000 mi and starter=93,000 mi.) The GTZ is a great looking car with everything included. Great acceleration and handles great on highways. Drove this car to Lake Tahoe (HWY 80 and 5).Car had enough power to go uphill. Not good for city because of big radius U-turn. I normally get 22 around town and 27 on the freeway. Car uses premium gas. This car is comfortable, solid, reliable, fast and safe. Poor resale value, but it is good for buyer.