2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Galant model:
Transmission Problem
By richie6 on 01/14/14 09:16 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

BEWARE OF MITSUBISHI GALANT TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS (2003 for me) I learned the hard way from a excellent transmission shop about the flaw in my 3.0 V6 model with 4 speed automatic where these where a 'clip' deep inside the tranny breaks! This shop used to keep several extra trannys in the shop fully expecting to have customers come in for this very issue. He told me about it before he even opened it up and proved it to me! These broken pieces, for one scenario, end up in the pump causing your tranny to fail and needs to be rebuilt. One main sympton is it will not go into any gear! Sometimes you hear the rattling as you run it. Get newer kit if you rebuild it!

Almost Bulletproof
By du8y4 on 02/05/13 08:28 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Galant 2.4ES in 2005 with 54,000 miles on it for $8900 because it was all I could afford at the time and I'm anti-Honda. Good gas mileage, snappy for a 4cyl. After delivering Pizza's full time for several years and going on multiple trips to Yellowstone, it now has 235,000 on it. The only thing major was replacing the timing belt at just over 200,000. I will say also that it can get up the the 120mph that the speedometer says it'll go. (it just takes a while)

Love Mitsubishi
By lcmitsu on 09/16/12 05:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used from a dealer in January 2007 with 25,000 miles on it. I don't think I will ever buy anything other than a mitsubishi going forward. I have 82,500 on the car now and with regular maintenance I expect many more years of driving joy with mitsi. Before buying the car I did check Edmunds.com consumer reviews and Consumer Reports which both gave this car a great reviews. Thanks Edmunds.com for this site.

2003 Mitsubishi great car
By vtuk on 12/26/11 00:05 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan GTZ V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car at 9,700mi and sold at 113,200mi. I have had this car for 7 years, no major problems. Mitsubishi galant never died on me. Build quality is good and I haven’t had any mechanical problems. Engine and tranny has been solid. I've never had anything done to it other than normal maintenance. (Except battery=95,000 mi and starter=93,000 mi.) The GTZ is a great looking car with everything included. Great acceleration and handles great on highways. Drove this car to Lake Tahoe (HWY 80 and 5).Car had enough power to go uphill. Not good for city because of big radius U-turn. I normally get 22 around town and 27 on the freeway. Car uses premium gas. This car is comfortable, solid, reliable, fast and safe. Poor resale value, but it is good for buyer.

A rallycross queen in family sedan's clothing.
By hush_hush on 05/09/11 15:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I brought a used 2.4L I4 (SOHC 4G64) Galant ES for rallycross. The similarity of Galant's 4G64 and Lancer Evolution's DOHC 4G63T makes the swap drop-in easy, and the 5-speed transmission from Eclipse fits perfectly. With 10 grands, you'll have an autocross monster with 4G63T, 12 psi turbo, and ECU controlled boost; Dump another 20 grands, and you get a fancy built 500+hp rally queen filled with HKS goodies; Squeeze yourself hard for another 20 grands, this car is going to be a supercar. As they said, old school DSM are "dollar-per-hp champs" (IT 14.3 (2011): 12). Hands down.

Fantastic Automobile
By ballbreaker910 on 04/21/11 00:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan DE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I am the original owner of a 2003 Galant. I cannot express how much I have enjoyed this car. I purchased the car with 42 mile one the odometer. Now it has 201,000 miles. My only complaint is the paint. Every time I see a Galant like mines, the paint is faded terribly. Also the Brakes seem to wear easier than most cars. The climate control needed to be replaced but luckily it was still under warranty. This car has taken a beating. It had been driven every day for about 110 mile a day. Never had a major problem. Engine and tranny has been solid. The one time the car didn't start was because it needed a battery. Mitsubishi has put together a solid car that can compete with all major car brands.

Buy This car if you want to be safe
By luvarabhorse on 03/27/11 13:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan DE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for nearly 70K miles. It is incredibly reliable. The only thing wrong is its comestic defects, like the finish becoming dull with age. I have had problems with the air conditioner, like many of the other reviews state and currently need a new air compressor. If you want a car that will save your life should you ever get into an accident get this one. It gets great gas mileage on the highway, but not so great mileage in town. Reliable reliable reliable though! I love my car

THESE 2003 GALANTS ARE SAFE CARS!!!
By bridgetteb on 03/22/11 08:56 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

A very large van turned left in front of me at my green light so I crashed right behind the passenger front wheel at 40 mph. The galant was completely smashed up until about 1 ft. from the windshield BUT I am COMPLETELY FINE and I have horrible back issues already. The air bags diploid and I was wearing my seatbelt correctly and I cannot even believe how safe that car type is. Nothing inside the car showed evidence of the crash (beside the windshield which got a spider fractures). When I got out the car I became frantic because I didn't realize before how bad it really was. Safety ratings are important for cars and I'd say with much joy that this car choice saved my life.

Test to BEAT UP as HELL!
By Mitsubishi Galant 03 on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Great Car! i've Been beat up everyday to use it and road trip calf to NY then return. run great and fine nothing wrong with it, I have been go off the road often and still fine. go high speed still fine, high rpm still fine a least I use oil is amsoil! don't forget that if you don't use amsoil your engine will be died with high rpm. mostly I trust Chevy & Ford but I realized keep broke down whenever going to but mitsh galant never died on me since I driving TOO MUCH still great run

In most cases, a solid vehicle
By bborrelli on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My dad and I bought a black 03 Mitsubishi Galant ES with the fun and sun package. It currently has about 114,000 miles on it and honestly, I wish I could say it runs well. When we purchased it, we noticed the paint was degrading in areas on the roof, hood, and upper quarter-panels. We had it repainted at MAACO (Presidential service) for maybe around $299? Well after that, I began noticing a "bump" while the car shifted from gear to gear. Recently, I've been getting around 16 miles per gallon, city and highway driving. I got the transmission fixed , but it seems the engine's shaky idle is affecting it. I love this car so much, but I've spent too much money fixing it. :(