2002 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Galant model:
Late Purchase
By dennysmitzi on 09/02/14 22:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2002 Galant in 2009, with only 31K miles on the ticker. Currently, it has 80,500 and still running quite strong. My biggest complaint is the oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets that have been replaced 3 times, and the wheel alignment issues that cause vibrations in the front end at times. Otherwise, it has been a good performer, and has never left me stranded. I would definitely consider another one, should the powers that be at Mitsubish Motors consider bringing the Galant back to the market. Overall, I am a satisfied customer.

I love /miss my galant
By cedest on 08/30/14 09:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 02 mitsubishi galant back in 2011 and it was by far the best car i've ever owned. We got ours from Vern Eide in Sioux Falls, SD and it had about 130,000 miles on it. The only we've had to replace in the last 3 years was a radiator hose about 6 months after buying and then just in the last 2 months had to replace the cv axle on the passenger side but that may had something to do with the way my husband drove it. Up until the accident i just had in the last week in which there wasn't nearly as much damage as there should've been, the car ran perfectly even during the -50 degree weather we had this last winter. It only didn't start once! I will miss my car i certainly recommend it

Mine has 260,000 miles still going(4cyl)
By colton_f on 08/25/14 14:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I felt a need to post a review on this car considering how good it has been to me. I bought my 2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES new at Rice Mitsubishi. Now it has 260,000 miles and still runs strong and looks great. Everything works. The only problem I've ever had with the car is I had to replace one of the headlights. I can say with confidence that this car is just as reliable as any Honda or Toyota,as long as, you change the timing belt every 60,000 miles which is routine for all Mitsubishis.(This will run you around $600) Besides that this car had caused me NO inconveniences. My Galant with 260k can still reach 100mph and still has pretty impressive acceleration and is praised for it's handling.

Great car both mechanically and structurally.
By mhannah1 on 02/03/13 08:49 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My daughter was in a terrible accident at a very high rate of speed on the interstate. The front end was unrecognizable. My daughter walked away without a scratch. This car can sustain major front and side impacts. We truly believe this car saved our daughter's life. We bought it brand new and never had a problem with it, very reliable. We will be looking for another one as a replacement.

very satisfied
By buckstalker on 08/30/12 05:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife found this car for my son. It had 100k miles on it. It was the first car I bought with 100k miles. My son has been traveling back and forth from college with this car and it's been a very reliable car NO PROBLEMS. We have had the car now 4 years and it's hasn't cost a penny for maintenance other than normal oil changes and such.

Mediocre car for a decent value.
By pubmain on 03/29/12 10:03 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan GTZ V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The only thing my GTZ excelled in was handling. Superb handling for a FWD. I've already avoided two serious accidents from idiots failing to yield to oncoming traffic. I literally pulled some McGuyver moves on the road with this car. However, the exterior and interior is plagued with cheap manufacturing and design. This car is an absolute embarrassment to be top dog in the American Galant lineup. Models overseas make this thing look like a POS. The premium fuel gets extremely annoying and I wish I would have purchased a Hyundai or Ford Mustang for the same price. My advise, get a used Chrysler Sebring v6 if you don't need to leg room

Mitsubishi Power
By Mitsu2002 on 05/31/10 23:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Edmunds has helped out a lot so I decided to give back and contribute via a review. I own a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant with 121,000 miles on it. I had it since 2003. It is a very very reliable car. Any Galant 2002 and up has a very smooth steering and heavy bass sound system that comes standard, which no one really knows about. Japanese cars are the most reliable but this model has two major flaws. 1. the Galant's engine coolant system is made out of plastic, so after about 100,000 miles, it may melt and start to leak. Another is that brakes have to be changed often (about once a year). Over the last 7 years, no repairs needed! Parts are not that expensive. Other than that, enjoy Mitsubishi power

Pretty Decent Car
By Ralli_Rules on 01/17/10 12:50 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my galant in 2005 used with 56,000 miles. All in all it has been a pretty decent car, its not blazing fast but still pretty quick. I have left quite a few people at the line even with a stock engine. The outside looks nice, inside could use some improvement but its not terrible. Not too much interior space but thats not a huge issue. I have customized wit ralliart parts for more performance. Has been a pretty good car, I recommend this car as a great car for a first time driver.

Exterior paint
By Michelle Pendergrass on 08/06/09 12:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Mitsubishi in Jan. 2002, purchased it with only 8 miles on it. I purchased a Black one, I did love it at first, then after about 3 years, the paint has started disappearing. Great big chunks of paint gone. I have had it looked at, and have been told, I i just look around at other black Mitsubishi vehicles, I would find that I am not the only one with this problem. Since then I look very closely at any Black Mitsubishi, and all of the older ones have the same problem with the paint that has just disappeared. I was told that the older models have that problem.

My 2002 Galant
By Claren Megow on 07/10/09 07:15 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan DE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Galant. I bought mine three years ago. I bought it used so there were some things that need to be replaced. It ran excellent the day I bought and continues to run great. I did have to take it to the shop to clean out the A/C filter. The heating coil is broken so there is no heat in the car, but where I lived that was not a major problem. I do want to get it replaced now that I have moved to a different state. But overall this is a great car.