Used 2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Galant - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Galant model:

Late Purchase
By dennysmitzi

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2002 Galant in 2009, with only 31K miles on the ticker. Currently, it has 80,500 and still running quite strong. My biggest complaint is the oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets that have been replaced 3 times, and the wheel alignment issues that cause vibrations in the front end at times. Otherwise, it has been a good performer, and has never left me stranded. I would definitely consider another one, should the powers that be at Mitsubish Motors consider bringing the Galant back to the market. Overall, I am a satisfied customer.

Everything is within reach. Excellent sound system for a factory unit. Good handling and a smooth ride overall.

I wish this car (mine's a 3.0 V-6) could deliver better gas mileage, and on regular fuel, as opposed to the required premium. Also wish the back seats folded completely down, like most other 4 door sedans.

I love /miss my galant
By cedest

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 02 mitsubishi galant back in 2011 and it was by far the best car i've ever owned. We got ours from Vern Eide in Sioux Falls, SD and it had about 130,000 miles on it. The only we've had to replace in the last 3 years was a radiator hose about 6 months after buying and then just in the last 2 months had to replace the cv axle on the passenger side but that may had something to do with the way my husband drove it. Up until the accident i just had in the last week in which there wasn't nearly as much damage as there should've been, the car ran perfectly even during the -50 degree weather we had this last winter. It only didn't start once! I will miss my car i certainly recommend it

My favorite feature was the fog lights very handy especially in the winter.

The only thing i would improve is how expensive some of the fixes are like the $200+ mirror but it rarely broke down so can't really complane

Solid Car
By RodD

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new and now have 127K miles on it. I commute 60 miles a day to work and back. The only engine problem was a sensor going out recently. The transmission hiccups once in a while but overall the car has been very reliable. On a long trip when it was newer I got 31 mpg going 75 with the air on, not bad for a V6. Feels more powerful than 195 HP.

Love the V6 power. Handles great for a basic sedan. Nicely equipped for a lower end model. 4 wheel discs w/ABS with the V6 package. Sunroof. Rides quiet and still no rattles.

I have had to replace the front rotors twice. Did it myself so it was cheap. Have a creaking sound now in the front and I can't find it's source.

Best Car Yet
By soclwrker

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Galant is the best car I've ever owned. I get great mileage on the highway (30 mpg on 360 mile round trip), and between 17 and 20 in the city. Other than brake pads, once, and oil changes, this wonderful car has required nothing. I drive a lot of miles, and this car has been perfect. It is a great car and I highly recommend it.

Reliability. Better than expected gas mileage (18-30). Power sunroof.

The center console could be sturdier -- the plastic clip which holds the padded lid shut, breaks pretty easily.

Good, but not great
By Galant owner

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand-new. I've never had accidents with it except one fender-bender where the side panel got bent (cosmetic damage only). Though I got a V6 for more power (gas wasn't as expensive back then), the car is very weak at low gears with SUV like fuel efficiency. But on the highways, the car is fun to drive and gets respectable efficiency (about 27-30 mpg). Hasn't given me any major problems yet, maybe due to the low mileage. Overall, this car is very solid, but is not very appealing. I bought it because of great financing options at the time. Probably wouldn't buy it if I had to do it all over again.

Fog lamps, the design for rear of the car.

Better gas mileage, a full-sized spare tire, more room for the back passengers, better instrument panel lay out, better seat covers (my fabric ones are very boring).