2002 Mitsubishi Galant - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Galant model:
Great car both mechanically and structurally.
By mhannah1 on 02/03/13 08:49 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My daughter was in a terrible accident at a very high rate of speed on the interstate. The front end was unrecognizable. My daughter walked away without a scratch. This car can sustain major front and side impacts. We truly believe this car saved our daughter's life. We bought it brand new and never had a problem with it, very reliable. We will be looking for another one as a replacement.

very satisfied
By buckstalker on 08/30/12 05:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife found this car for my son. It had 100k miles on it. It was the first car I bought with 100k miles. My son has been traveling back and forth from college with this car and it's been a very reliable car NO PROBLEMS. We have had the car now 4 years and it's hasn't cost a penny for maintenance other than normal oil changes and such.

Mitsubishi Power
By Mitsu2002 on 05/31/10 23:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Edmunds has helped out a lot so I decided to give back and contribute via a review. I own a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant with 121,000 miles on it. I had it since 2003. It is a very very reliable car. Any Galant 2002 and up has a very smooth steering and heavy bass sound system that comes standard, which no one really knows about. Japanese cars are the most reliable but this model has two major flaws. 1. the Galant's engine coolant system is made out of plastic, so after about 100,000 miles, it may melt and start to leak. Another is that brakes have to be changed often (about once a year). Over the last 7 years, no repairs needed! Parts are not that expensive. Other than that, enjoy Mitsubishi power

Pretty Decent Car
By Ralli_Rules on 01/17/10 12:50 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my galant in 2005 used with 56,000 miles. All in all it has been a pretty decent car, its not blazing fast but still pretty quick. I have left quite a few people at the line even with a stock engine. The outside looks nice, inside could use some improvement but its not terrible. Not too much interior space but thats not a huge issue. I have customized wit ralliart parts for more performance. Has been a pretty good car, I recommend this car as a great car for a first time driver.

Exterior paint
By Michelle Pendergrass on 08/06/09 12:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Mitsubishi in Jan. 2002, purchased it with only 8 miles on it. I purchased a Black one, I did love it at first, then after about 3 years, the paint has started disappearing. Great big chunks of paint gone. I have had it looked at, and have been told, I i just look around at other black Mitsubishi vehicles, I would find that I am not the only one with this problem. Since then I look very closely at any Black Mitsubishi, and all of the older ones have the same problem with the paint that has just disappeared. I was told that the older models have that problem.

Thanks again
By Happy2x on 12/28/08 10:20 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have spent $432 average per year in maintenance for 5 years or $2159 in total and that includes the timing belt & p/s belts, brake pads & turned rotors once, 2 tires, battery, wipers, headlamps, 2 flats and LOFs of Mobil 1 at 5000 mile intervals. 24 average MPG and a boost of about 5 MPG after the new timing belt. It has been hit 6 times and has always remained road worthy mechanically. It has been 6 months after the most recent collision. I replaced the sulfated battery at the dealership it was inspected for mechanical and safety items. My 2002 Galant continues to exceeded my expectations. I look forward to owning another Mitsubishi Galant very soon.

Good choice!
By sailor86 on 10/11/08 17:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This was not the first car I checked out but I have no doubt in my mind that I selected the best car for the money. It starts up every time (after changing the battery cables), runs great, keeps up on the highway without wobbling or trembling. It is actually a better ride than my mother's Taurus. All accessories work. I'm nothing but satisfied with this car. After checking out other models in its price class, I was much impressed with the materials and workmanship of the interior. I am well pleased with the driving experience this car affords me. Nothing but joy every time I start up the engine.

A good used car
By gps on 07/01/08 21:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I picked up a 2002 with 78,000 miles for around $5500. Car has decent/good performance for its class. As others have commented, the fuel economy could be better. Still for the price (about $3k less than a comparable Honda/Toyota) it was hard to beat. I've had no issues at in in the last six months and odometer reads 82,500. Having driven an Eclipse for the past decade (finally died at 172,000) I was comfortable with the brand. For everyday commuting etc. It's a great car. I didn't buy it to turn heads. I wanted something reliable w/out paying a premium and this car was it.

2nd one and we did buy again!!!!!
By miamommie on 03/27/08 14:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We have had 2 Mitsubishi Galants and we have loved them both. The only problem is the room in the back for older kids. Small kids don't have a problem. It's fun to drive and good on gas. We have only had this '02' for 2 days but it seems like we got a great deal for our money. My husband is a mechanic and he looked it over good before buying it. We only payed $6800 and it looks new sounds great and runs well.

A decent car
By jldude on 05/01/07 16:04 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is a car that grows on you and the more you own it, the more attached you get. It's nothing spectacular in any area, but it's sufficient. The best thing about it is the quiet engine and smooth transaxle. It rides like a more luxurious car. I can squeeze 31 mpg on the highway so that's not so bad. Mine does feel a little cheaply made, that's probably the biggest turn off. The doors close like they're 10 years old and the shocks feel likewise, but it has a good loud factory cd player and despite the threatening rust in the engine bay from midwest use, it is still quiet and smooth and everything works. The brakes do squeal pretty bad though. If it had more modern technology it would be great.