Used 2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Galant - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mitsubishi Galant

View reviews for a specific Galant model:

Mine has 260,000 miles still going(4cyl)
By colton_f

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I felt a need to post a review on this car considering how good it has been to me. I bought my 2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES new at Rice Mitsubishi. Now it has 260,000 miles and still runs strong and looks great. Everything works. The only problem I've ever had with the car is I had to replace one of the headlights. I can say with confidence that this car is just as reliable as any Honda or Toyota,as long as, you change the timing belt every 60,000 miles which is routine for all Mitsubishis.(This will run you around $600) Besides that this car had caused me NO inconveniences. My Galant with 260k can still reach 100mph and still has pretty impressive acceleration and is praised for it's handling.

Great car both mechanically and structurally.
By mhannah1

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My daughter was in a terrible accident at a very high rate of speed on the interstate. The front end was unrecognizable. My daughter walked away without a scratch. This car can sustain major front and side impacts. We truly believe this car saved our daughter's life. We bought it brand new and never had a problem with it, very reliable. We will be looking for another one as a replacement.

very satisfied
By buckstalker

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife found this car for my son. It had 100k miles on it. It was the first car I bought with 100k miles. My son has been traveling back and forth from college with this car and it's been a very reliable car NO PROBLEMS. We have had the car now 4 years and it's hasn't cost a penny for maintenance other than normal oil changes and such.

Favorite Features

4 cylinder is very responsive in this car.

Suggested Improvements

Top radiator tank is made out of pastic, which cracks from fatigue. The design flaw is the top hose add weight to the plastic and after time it cracks. After several attempts with various compounds I finally got it to seal with JB weld original formula. I used the hole contents letting it coat the hole area. sanded the area before to remove all contamination and give the compound a surface to stick to.

Mitsubishi Power
By Mitsu2002

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Edmunds has helped out a lot so I decided to give back and contribute via a review. I own a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant with 121,000 miles on it. I had it since 2003. It is a very very reliable car. Any Galant 2002 and up has a very smooth steering and heavy bass sound system that comes standard, which no one really knows about. Japanese cars are the most reliable but this model has two major flaws. 1. the Galant's engine coolant system is made out of plastic, so after about 100,000 miles, it may melt and start to leak. Another is that brakes have to be changed often (about once a year). Over the last 7 years, no repairs needed! Parts are not that expensive. Other than that, enjoy Mitsubishi power

Favorite Features

Premium Sound system on 2002 Galants and up. Smooth steering, smooth ride no matter how many miles on it.

Suggested Improvements

Could use more backseat room. Could use more power for acceleration.

Pretty Decent Car
By Ralli_Rules

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my galant in 2005 used with 56,000 miles. All in all it has been a pretty decent car, its not blazing fast but still pretty quick. I have left quite a few people at the line even with a stock engine. The outside looks nice, inside could use some improvement but its not terrible. Not too much interior space but thats not a huge issue. I have customized wit ralliart parts for more performance. Has been a pretty good car, I recommend this car as a great car for a first time driver.

Favorite Features

Body style, quickness, lack of gas consumption.

Suggested Improvements

Little bigger inside, alloy wheels standard, little more power from the engine