Used 2002 Mitsubishi Galant Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Galant - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mitsubishi Galant

View reviews for a specific Galant model:

Late Purchase
By dennysmitzi

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2002 Galant in 2009, with only 31K miles on the ticker. Currently, it has 80,500 and still running quite strong. My biggest complaint is the oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets that have been replaced 3 times, and the wheel alignment issues that cause vibrations in the front end at times. Otherwise, it has been a good performer, and has never left me stranded. I would definitely consider another one, should the powers that be at Mitsubish Motors consider bringing the Galant back to the market. Overall, I am a satisfied customer.

Favorite Features

Everything is within reach. Excellent sound system for a factory unit. Good handling and a smooth ride overall.

Suggested Improvements

I wish this car (mine's a 3.0 V-6) could deliver better gas mileage, and on regular fuel, as opposed to the required premium. Also wish the back seats folded completely down, like most other 4 door sedans.

I love /miss my galant
By cedest

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 02 mitsubishi galant back in 2011 and it was by far the best car i've ever owned. We got ours from Vern Eide in Sioux Falls, SD and it had about 130,000 miles on it. The only we've had to replace in the last 3 years was a radiator hose about 6 months after buying and then just in the last 2 months had to replace the cv axle on the passenger side but that may had something to do with the way my husband drove it. Up until the accident i just had in the last week in which there wasn't nearly as much damage as there should've been, the car ran perfectly even during the -50 degree weather we had this last winter. It only didn't start once! I will miss my car i certainly recommend it

Favorite Features

My favorite feature was the fog lights very handy especially in the winter.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing i would improve is how expensive some of the fixes are like the $200+ mirror but it rarely broke down so can't really complane

Mine has 260,000 miles still going(4cyl)
By colton_f

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I felt a need to post a review on this car considering how good it has been to me. I bought my 2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES new at Rice Mitsubishi. Now it has 260,000 miles and still runs strong and looks great. Everything works. The only problem I've ever had with the car is I had to replace one of the headlights. I can say with confidence that this car is just as reliable as any Honda or Toyota,as long as, you change the timing belt every 60,000 miles which is routine for all Mitsubishis.(This will run you around $600) Besides that this car had caused me NO inconveniences. My Galant with 260k can still reach 100mph and still has pretty impressive acceleration and is praised for it's handling.

Great car both mechanically and structurally.
By mhannah1

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My daughter was in a terrible accident at a very high rate of speed on the interstate. The front end was unrecognizable. My daughter walked away without a scratch. This car can sustain major front and side impacts. We truly believe this car saved our daughter's life. We bought it brand new and never had a problem with it, very reliable. We will be looking for another one as a replacement.

very satisfied
By buckstalker

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife found this car for my son. It had 100k miles on it. It was the first car I bought with 100k miles. My son has been traveling back and forth from college with this car and it's been a very reliable car NO PROBLEMS. We have had the car now 4 years and it's hasn't cost a penny for maintenance other than normal oil changes and such.

Favorite Features

4 cylinder is very responsive in this car.

Suggested Improvements

Top radiator tank is made out of pastic, which cracks from fatigue. The design flaw is the top hose add weight to the plastic and after time it cracks. After several attempts with various compounds I finally got it to seal with JB weld original formula. I used the hole contents letting it coat the hole area. sanded the area before to remove all contamination and give the compound a surface to stick to.