Used 2000 Mitsubishi Galant Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mitsubishi Galant

View reviews for a specific Galant model:

Fun to drive but has serious problems
By Pete from NY

2000 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new in Jan. 01. It was great for the first 4-5 years. Fun to drive, great pickup and sound system. Traction control works great in the snow. I did all required maintenance at the dealership. First, the horn stopped working (sensor in the steering wheel had to be replaced in 04). Then the hood started rusting from the inside out together with several seams in the engine compartment. The hood was replaced by Mitsubishi but I had to pay for paining and installation ($400). The struts had to be replaced at 105,000 miles together with wheel bearings and other parts of the front suspension (total cost with new tires $2,200). The car is only worth $3,500.

Favorite Features

Nice pickup, sound system, looks, all power

Suggested Improvements

Better rust proofing, it needs a light in the middle of the passenger cabin, better quality of the leather on the seats (mine started cracking after about 4 years)

Galant ES
By kh

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my Galant ES new in August of 2000. After 8 years and 170k miles, this car still runs great. I still get 27-28 MPG and it starts as easily as it did in 2000. The only maintenance I have done besides brakes, tires, oil, is timing belt at 85k and plugs & wires at about 100k. I am starting to get some rust on wheel wells and around the bottom of the doors, but Ohio winters will do that to a car. When this car finally does quit running, I will definitely consider another Galant, just wish they got a little better MPG.

Favorite Features

RELIABILITY. Just as reliable as the more expensive Toyota and Honda, in my opinion. Many people cite resale value with Toyota and Honda vs. the Mitsu, but, if you drive them until they quit, does it really matter?

Suggested Improvements

I wish the Galant would get better gas mileage. As gas prices have increased significantly since I purchased my 2000 model, this is the only area that might keep me from purchasing another one.

Cheap, Reliable % Good looks
By Mitsubishi ES

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

I got the car with 40k miles for about 7500 usd and so far i think this is the best car that i could have gotten for that price. It's been super reliable, I have not had any major repairs done to the car other than maintenance like brakes, fluids, etc. I would definitely buy another galant. My galant has 120K miles currently and it still works perfect. This is the perfect car for commuting. Nothing will beat it.

Favorite Features

Cheap to obtain, reliable car, good looks.

Suggested Improvements

More power; Fix the light for the A/C its really hard to see when its on.

Decent Car
By MJ

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

I've been driving the Galant for about 4 years now. No major repairs, so I can't complain.

Favorite Features

I love the 7 speakers! This car gets great gas mileage too. It's fairly dependable and affordable.

Suggested Improvements

Cloth material on seats seems to be cheaply made. Glove box rattles after a few years when ever I break. It's a good "1st" car.

Love it!!
By joecool69

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

I have had mine for 4 years and it truly is a wonderful car. I named him Jack because he's a jack-of-all-trades. Comfortable, I still get 24 mpg in city and 37-40 hwy, reliable and just a good car. It's amazing. Never any real problems. I even was hit by a drunk driver going 57-60 mph and was not hurt except for a minor concussion and that was only because my car hit a tree in the back and I went forward. Had it completely restored and am still driving it now. Amazing!

Favorite Features

Steering control.

Suggested Improvements

Motorized seat belts.