Used 2000 Mitsubishi Galant Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Galant model:

Most Helpful|
Great car
By maurice

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

Bought mine in 2001 with 10000 miles. Now at 182000 and still going strong. Every couple of years It suddenly needs a new battery. I don't know why, but don't care, I have had no other issues with the car. I was going to trade it in, but my wife talked me out of it because it is such a low maintenance car. I replaced the radiator because of a small leak, do my regular services after they are due and change the oil every 5-7000 miles. The timing belt takes me about a half hour to replace and I have done it twice just as a preventative thing. It is not the prettiest car due to a couple south Florida hurricanes and I will probably repaint it soon.

Favorite Features

Easy to do maintenance if you have basic skills. Comfortable on long trips which me and/or my wife take plenty of.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy, though the listed economy on this site is much less than what I get.

Been a great car
By jb

2000 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ 4dr Sedan

Bought it new, now has 140k miles. Live in the DC area, so I needed a car with a little "zing" to get off and on the beltway. Have only replaced the O2 sensor. Reliable, responsive, good stereo. Everything still works (amazing with 3 teens sharing. Nothing has broken, though showing wear on the outside edge of drivers seat.

Favorite Features

Reliability, acceleration, handling, sunroof, roomy trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise, faux wood interior trim.

She Got the Job Done
By Brade

2000 Mitsubishi Galant DE 4dr Sedan

Well, I finally did it. I had a little fender mender with ole Bessie Lou, and she was totaled. But this was a fantastic car. I bought it new in '99 and it almost made it to ten years. I've always really liked the styling, especially for its class, and it proved to be very reliable too. Only routine maintenance (oil change, timing belt, brakes, tires, hoses) that never cost much. The only issues I had were build quality with the glove box (had to replace the latch) and the blinker switch that was weak plastic and finally snapped after 8 years (but it still worked). So if you see one of these on the cheap, hey, you could do a lot worse.

Favorite Features

The styling and the comfort - both in ride quality and the comfort of the seats.

Suggested Improvements

Aforementioned build quality of glove box and blinker switch. Oh, and these models are notorious for the easy-to-lose wheel covers. Buy some aftermarket ones and problem solved.

Excellent Car, wish Mitsubishi hadn't cheapened the look
By joesee

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

I still have my 2000 Galant with close to 200,000 miles, always trouble free. The acceleration and ride for a 4 cylinder are great. The look still holds up, and is much better than later galant models. Unfortunately although the car is still awesome, the paint has lost it's luster and repainting doesn't make financial sense, otherwise I would keep on driving it. If Mitsubishi had maintained or upped their game on the details for later models, I would have considered getting another for my next car this year.

Favorite Features

Really responsive engine, smooth ride/suspension, and quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

Not any on the 2000/01 model. Later models look cheap compared to the competition, and even to the 2000 models.

RUNS GREAT for a 9 year old car
By ls

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

I got the 2000 Galant in 2003 with 30,000 miles. Since then I now have a total of 153,000 and the car runs great. The only consistent maintenance I have done is oil changes, replace tires and brakes when needed. I recently replaced the alternator this past winter and did the timing belts at the recommended 75,000 miles. I am pushing to reach that 200,000 miles mark!!!