Used 2000 Mitsubishi Galant Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mitsubishi Galant

View reviews for a specific Galant model:

On par with Toyota and Honda
By SarahG

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has been in my family for approximately 10 years now, and has given us no major problems. Acceleration is better than adequate, handling is excellent, and fuel mileage is good. It was my mother's to start, and then when it turned 8 years old, she gave it to my brother, who has a tendency to break things. He hasn't broken this yet, which is amazing. Neither my mother nor my brother have taken care of it as they should. I can't even remember the last time its been in for an oil change. My brother only had to replace the shifter cable @ 130,000 miles, and the radiator @ 135,000. Other than that, only regular maintenance, or lack thereof. I will only go foreign.

Favorite Features

Design, acceleration, and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

None to really speak of, the interior light had a habit of popping out, but that is pretty minor.

10 years and counting
By Irie

2000 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ 4dr Sedan

Purchased in 1999. Fun, comfortable car to drive. I needed quick acceleration because of commuting on the beltway. Am not giving this car up, will be passing this car down to my children.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, tight steering, cornering, braking system, safety features, stereo, trunk with opening into seating area for long items, comfy back seat.

Suggested Improvements

Loud road noise, more secure closing glove box.

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES Cheap Parts
By Galant ES

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

This car only has 73,000 miles on it and it runs great but, the parts are way too cheap and the value goes down like a rock in water. I see one of these cars in every corner. They are very common. Exterior parts aren't glued too well. The interior parts are aren't either. Not lots of room in the back. I've seen lots of these cars with the exterior paint fading. To be honest I do not think this car is one of the safest out there. Besides all that, the transmission is great I've had no mechanical problems with it. Just the brakes. Ive painted it once already. This is like a Honda except it has cheap plastic parts.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, and that's about it.

Suggested Improvements

It needs better quality on the parts. Basically make this car better so the value does not drop so fast.

She Got the Job Done
By Brade

2000 Mitsubishi Galant DE 4dr Sedan

Well, I finally did it. I had a little fender mender with ole Bessie Lou, and she was totaled. But this was a fantastic car. I bought it new in '99 and it almost made it to ten years. I've always really liked the styling, especially for its class, and it proved to be very reliable too. Only routine maintenance (oil change, timing belt, brakes, tires, hoses) that never cost much. The only issues I had were build quality with the glove box (had to replace the latch) and the blinker switch that was weak plastic and finally snapped after 8 years (but it still worked). So if you see one of these on the cheap, hey, you could do a lot worse.

Favorite Features

The styling and the comfort - both in ride quality and the comfort of the seats.

Suggested Improvements

Aforementioned build quality of glove box and blinker switch. Oh, and these models are notorious for the easy-to-lose wheel covers. Buy some aftermarket ones and problem solved.

Great car
By maurice

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

Bought mine in 2001 with 10000 miles. Now at 182000 and still going strong. Every couple of years It suddenly needs a new battery. I don't know why, but don't care, I have had no other issues with the car. I was going to trade it in, but my wife talked me out of it because it is such a low maintenance car. I replaced the radiator because of a small leak, do my regular services after they are due and change the oil every 5-7000 miles. The timing belt takes me about a half hour to replace and I have done it twice just as a preventative thing. It is not the prettiest car due to a couple south Florida hurricanes and I will probably repaint it soon.

Favorite Features

Easy to do maintenance if you have basic skills. Comfortable on long trips which me and/or my wife take plenty of.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy, though the listed economy on this site is much less than what I get.