Used 1998 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mitsubishi Galant - Consumer Reviews

1998 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan

View reviews for a specific Galant model:

Excellent Car - Very Reliable
By MitsuMan2010

1998 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This is my third Galant and the first of generation/body style. Also it's the third galant I have driven over 200,000 miles without any major fixes whatsoever. I will be straight up honest with all of you. As a mechanic I have seen so many failures because of lack of simple maintainance!! 95% of people do not follow the maintainance recomendations of these vehicles and cause their own vehicles to fail. All of my cars have had their 30, 60, 90 services and have always performed properly. I also have a 3000GT-VR4 for a weekend fun car and it has 160,000 miles and all original everything inlcuding the clutch! Mitsubishi makes a quality vehicle, properly taken care of will certainly last.

Favorite Features

Leather, Sun-roof, Stereo System.

Suggested Improvements

Synthetic Transmission Fluid that will last longer than 40,000 miles like the standard ATF fluid that it comes factory with! ***TIP*** I recommend that the ATF Fluid be changed over to synthetic. It will make the Automatic Transmissions last much longer and eliminate slipping!!!

i need a new ride
By gee

1998 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 10,000 miles on it, and now it has 155000. so far i have had to replace the transmission several batteries, brake, some time 2 time a year, 2 waterpumps, starter, 2 alternator, timing belt, crank balance wheel, and both axles......will not but another Mitsubishi.

Favorite Features

speedy car

Suggested Improvements

everything i mentioned above.

Great car with few problems
By marcel

1998 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I have my driving license for three years now and for all those year the only vehicle I drove was the Galant. This car runs like a sport car but has a few flaws. So far the vehicle is in good condition but the trans skips gears sometimes.

Favorite Features

Sporty design, fast acceleration, good overdrive, big trunk, front light design (I like it they should bring it back on new Galants). Low to the ground, good at big turns and is great offroad like wood roads and construction sites. Could carry a lot weight (trust me I'm a contractor).

Suggested Improvements

The trans is bad skips gears sometime. Going up steep hill even with overdrive is tough.

They Saw a Sucker Coming
By denise

1998 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I had just totaled a 1996 Geo Prism, a very dependable car. I went looking for a not so expensive mid-size car. This Galant had 36,000 miles on it in 2003, so I was thinking about a new car. After three days I noticed problems with the transmission. I kept hoping it would go away, but at 63,000 miles the transmission starting acting up. I paid $2,300 at the Amcoo transmission to fix it (they were a big ripoff but that's another story) after about six months I was having problems again. I had to trade this car in which wasn't worth 10 cents. If I could I would tell the world to never buy Mitsubishi again. I think that anyone that ever owned a 1998 Galant should file a lawsuit for pain and suffering.

Favorite Features

The stereo system, it had a 10 disc CD changer and good speakers. Also, this car had nice look and body style for a 1998 model.

Suggested Improvements

It needa a better transmission, a better anntenna (it stopped working), and the automatic door locks were malfunctioning!

As good as it gets
By cyclone

1998 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan DE 4dr Sedan

I bought this Galant in Dec. 2003 with only 34K miles on it. Since then (about 1.3 years), I've driven it 26K miles. Absolutely no problems. It is fun to drive, gets very good mileage (30-35MPG highway), and is a great value. Mine has the 5-speed tranny, which I highly recommend for fun-to- drive factor and to avoid problems others seem to have with the automatic.

Favorite Features

build quality fun to drive factor gas mileage value

Suggested Improvements

Do something to improve the resale value. I don't understand why I was able to buy this car for $5,500 when a comparable Toyota, Mazda, or Honda would have been a lot more. I'm happy I was able to buy it cheap, but may not be happy when/if I sell it.