1998 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Galant model:
Excellent Car - Very Reliable
By MitsuMan2010 on 05/11/10 09:38 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This is my third Galant and the first of generation/body style. Also it's the third galant I have driven over 200,000 miles without any major fixes whatsoever. I will be straight up honest with all of you. As a mechanic I have seen so many failures because of lack of simple maintainance!! 95% of people do not follow the maintainance recomendations of these vehicles and cause their own vehicles to fail. All of my cars have had their 30, 60, 90 services and have always performed properly. I also have a 3000GT-VR4 for a weekend fun car and it has 160,000 miles and all original everything inlcuding the clutch! Mitsubishi makes a quality vehicle, properly taken care of will certainly last.

i need a new ride
By gee on 02/17/10 07:58 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 10,000 miles on it, and now it has 155000. so far i have had to replace the transmission several batteries, brake, some time 2 time a year, 2 waterpumps, starter, 2 alternator, timing belt, crank balance wheel, and both axles......will not but another Mitsubishi.

Great car with few problems
By marcel on 04/11/08 16:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I have my driving license for three years now and for all those year the only vehicle I drove was the Galant. This car runs like a sport car but has a few flaws. So far the vehicle is in good condition but the trans skips gears sometimes.

They Saw a Sucker Coming
By denise on 07/13/06 15:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I had just totaled a 1996 Geo Prism, a very dependable car. I went looking for a not so expensive mid-size car. This Galant had 36,000 miles on it in 2003, so I was thinking about a new car. After three days I noticed problems with the transmission. I kept hoping it would go away, but at 63,000 miles the transmission starting acting up. I paid $2,300 at the Amcoo transmission to fix it (they were a big ripoff but that's another story) after about six months I was having problems again. I had to trade this car in which wasn't worth 10 cents. If I could I would tell the world to never buy Mitsubishi again. I think that anyone that ever owned a 1998 Galant should file a lawsuit for pain and suffering.

As good as it gets
By cyclone on 05/04/05 15:01 PM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan DE 4dr Sedan

I bought this Galant in Dec. 2003 with only 34K miles on it. Since then (about 1.3 years), I've driven it 26K miles. Absolutely no problems. It is fun to drive, gets very good mileage (30-35MPG highway), and is a great value. Mine has the 5-speed tranny, which I highly recommend for fun-to- drive factor and to avoid problems others seem to have with the automatic.

Started Strong, began losing my trust...
By monkeyracer on 02/23/05 02:01 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 41k mi, & added the ext warranty. My first bit of trouble was a few weeks later, took it to get serviced, paid the deductible and 7 hours later they returned it untouched saying the sunroof (which was inoperable) was aftermarket so it wasn't covered and the calipers weren't actually malfunctioning (even though they wore through brakes at an angle.) Next, at 60,200 mi, my shift-select cable frays, and stops working. I take it in, the dealer says they won't touch it after 60k. Now, the tranny is completely out at 93k mi and I'm ready to move on to a better make, This car is a great little car when it's new, after about 50k miles, get rid of it! Subaru Forester here I come!

very satisfied
By galant on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I have my 1998 galant which I bought new in june 1999. There are no words to describe my satisfaction. I have it serviced every 10000 miles and it has never let me down. It's fun to drive and very reliable. Highly recommended without reservation

Reliable and Dependable
By connie5568 on 10/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This car is the best. A great gas saver and it drives well. Perfect for a student in school. This car has not given me any problems.

Mixed review!!!
By Amir Bendayan on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Galant about two yearŽs ago with 39K miles from a reputable dealership. Transmission problems became evident immediately. It would slip between first and second routinely and this would sometimes make for very hard shifting and an unpleasant ride. The dealership agreed that this was a problem and replaced the transmission. Although the problem subsided initially it never really went away entirely! The car now has 65,000 miles and occasionally IŽll experience a hard shift in the low gears. Aside from this particular problem the car has been excellent!! Great gas mileage, fun to drive, all systems work perfectly, very dependable!!

Great Fun for a four cylinder!
By Scott Tiemann on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan DE 4dr Sedan

The only problem that we have had is that you need to have the balance shaft looked at over 100,000 miles mark. Our the shaft broke at 160,000 and caused some damage. Other than that, the car has been really sporty and handles like a dream.