Used 1998 Mitsubishi Galant DE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mitsubishi Galant - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Galant model:

As good as it gets
By cyclone

1998 Mitsubishi Galant DE 4dr Sedan

I bought this Galant in Dec. 2003 with only 34K miles on it. Since then (about 1.3 years), I've driven it 26K miles. Absolutely no problems. It is fun to drive, gets very good mileage (30-35MPG highway), and is a great value. Mine has the 5-speed tranny, which I highly recommend for fun-to- drive factor and to avoid problems others seem to have with the automatic.

build quality fun to drive factor gas mileage value

Do something to improve the resale value. I don't understand why I was able to buy this car for $5,500 when a comparable Toyota, Mazda, or Honda would have been a lot more. I'm happy I was able to buy it cheap, but may not be happy when/if I sell it.

Great Fun for a four cylinder!
By Scott Tiemann

1998 Mitsubishi Galant DE 4dr Sedan

The only problem that we have had is that you need to have the balance shaft looked at over 100,000 miles mark. Our the shaft broke at 160,000 and caused some damage. Other than that, the car has been really sporty and handles like a dream.

For a four cylinder, its very fast. The handling is great and the ride is smooth and comfortable.

The balance shaft is the week point in the engine and service is needed on it more frequently than usual.