Used 1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Galant model:

Good car for price
By Minneapolis

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan DE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 5 years and have been very happy with it. I have been looking at new cars for about 12 months... and it is just so hard to convince myself to have a car payment when my Galant just keeps going and going. I haven't had any major troubles with it. The transmission has always felt funny - like it was going to go - but never has. It is a good car and it has surprisingly quick acceleration on the highways (for a 97, 2.4L sedan).

Its reliability and full size spare.

Seats that fold down, better wipers, and ABS.

Such a great car
By Roselyne Gerszewski

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Didn't really want to buy a "foreign" car, but it's been the best decision I have made in a long time. Just regular maintenance, no irritating repairs. It is so dependable. Love the zip of the engine, love the heat in Minnesota and the cool in Arizona. Do they still make good cars like that? Yes, it does have a lot of plastic on the inside, but I did buy a "cheap" car not a Mercedes. I got my money's worth and more.

Heater/Air Conditioning. Very good engine.

Improve the interior, not so much plastic and improve the cruise control and its switches (Hidden)

Very Uneven
By SV

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan DE 4dr Sedan

Bought it used at 38,000 Excellent Performance, Good Handling, very Torquey engine. Good Brakes, Sharp Steering, but very over geared. At 75 on fifth, I find myself trying to upshift to a higher gear. Had to replace gearbox at 70000. and electic roof at 50,000. Admittedly I have put 82,000 in a little over 3 years. The same kind of milage I used to put in my 91 Camry which I had to kill after 230000 miles due ro rust. Would I buy another mitusbishi? Probabaly not. Would rather pay the premium for a Camry.

Performance, performance, Performance

Terrible cloth seats, worse than velco in picking up dirt and stains. Very cheap roof liner.

From day 1 with the Galant
By crissy 1010

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This car has been ok, but when it was 5 years old the transmission had to be replaced. Also the interior integrity was very poor. The leather seats wore from sliding in the car, the stereo system whent out completely, plus the electric antenna stopped working and had to be replaced and it stopped working again. The outside seems to dent very easily. I have loads of dings and dents, just from parking in a parking lot. I feel a car should be more resistant to simple dings.

I like the style and looks of the car, very classy looking with the spoiler

Improve the electronic system and make the exterior body stronger.

Great car!
By John TheGalant Owner

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

So far this car has managed to cross several mountain ranges, a desert and near-arctic conditions, survived a five day road trip with cats, and gotten through some of the worst bumper-to-bumper traffic while commuting to work every day! Best car I have ever owned!

Well I have the sliding moonroof, which is nice for sightseeing (I can pull over, stand up through the roof and shoot pictures). The CD/Tape deck is nice too, because I listed to music on CD but most roadside places only sell tapes.

The cup holders are in a stupid place (right on the dash by the stereo). They are great to reach while driving but get in the way of the stereo buttons when they are full. Other than that, it's perfect.