1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Galant model:
Up to 185,000 before the final drive
By 412scott on 08/05/11 11:12 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This was my wife's first car, purchased in 2000 as a used car. It held up through Pittsburgh winters, though often with some sliding, and a parkway accident. It's now at 185,000 miles and was an excellent commuter car up until the last round of breaks and transmission repair needs. Very, very stylish and quality acceleration.

Loved it!
By think1st on 07/29/11 12:01 PM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I got my Galant brand new in 1997. It now has @130K miles. I've had no major problems with it. Fun to drive because it has a great acceleration 'kick'. Just zips in and out of traffic or when passing on the highway. At first it used to jerk when first starting out on the road. I had to learn how to manage the gas pedal so it wouldn't do that. over the last year or so different things have had to be replaced, but I've had it for 15 yrs so I don't complain (plus a mechanic friend has done most of the work for me on the cheap). Time for me to get a SUV so sadly I'm having to sale it.

buy one if u can find one
By DAVE THE SLAVE on 04/03/08 18:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Purch. New has been a good car, some repairs belt adjusters, 3 sets of brakes & rotors 3 sets of tires other reg stuff plugs, wires, 2 value cover gaskets, org muffler till on 128,000 runs like new no problems with ac etc

'97 Galant
By Michael on 10/27/06 17:01 PM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This car is terrible. I had such a bad experience with this car, that I would NEVER consider buying a Mitsubishi again. We purchased it brand new when it first came out. Since then, we have changed our transmission three times. The first time was by an independent and it didn't turn out very well. So we decided the second time we would get it done at the dealer, which you would assume would be better. Unfortunately, that was not the case. As soon as our warranty ran out, our transmission died again. I tried to talk to the dealer, but it was no use. The third time we had it replaced by an independent mechanic again because there is no point in getting by the dealer if there's no reliability. This car has been very unreliable.

Its a B.A.M! - Bummin' Around Mobile!
By Virgo'sGalant on 08/18/06 12:19 PM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan DE 4dr Sedan

I got my 1997 Mitsubishi Galant cheap off of Ebay with 173,000 miles on it. I replaced several OEM parts and upgraded the wheels/tires. This car gets good gas mileage and allows me to keep wear/tear off the two family cars. Its 2.4L engine is torquey. I will upgrade the brakes / suspension next, then add a new air intake.

Good car for price
By Minneapolis on 03/23/06 09:34 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan DE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 5 years and have been very happy with it. I have been looking at new cars for about 12 months... and it is just so hard to convince myself to have a car payment when my Galant just keeps going and going. I haven't had any major troubles with it. The transmission has always felt funny - like it was going to go - but never has. It is a good car and it has surprisingly quick acceleration on the highways (for a 97, 2.4L sedan).

Such a great car
By Roselyne Gerszewski on 01/25/05 16:04 PM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Didn't really want to buy a "foreign" car, but it's been the best decision I have made in a long time. Just regular maintenance, no irritating repairs. It is so dependable. Love the zip of the engine, love the heat in Minnesota and the cool in Arizona. Do they still make good cars like that? Yes, it does have a lot of plastic on the inside, but I did buy a "cheap" car not a Mercedes. I got my money's worth and more.

Very Uneven
By SV on 05/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan DE 4dr Sedan

Bought it used at 38,000 Excellent Performance, Good Handling, very Torquey engine. Good Brakes, Sharp Steering, but very over geared. At 75 on fifth, I find myself trying to upshift to a higher gear. Had to replace gearbox at 70000. and electic roof at 50,000. Admittedly I have put 82,000 in a little over 3 years. The same kind of milage I used to put in my 91 Camry which I had to kill after 230000 miles due ro rust. Would I buy another mitusbishi? Probabaly not. Would rather pay the premium for a Camry.

From day 1 with the Galant
By crissy 1010 on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This car has been ok, but when it was 5 years old the transmission had to be replaced. Also the interior integrity was very poor. The leather seats wore from sliding in the car, the stereo system whent out completely, plus the electric antenna stopped working and had to be replaced and it stopped working again. The outside seems to dent very easily. I have loads of dings and dents, just from parking in a parking lot. I feel a car should be more resistant to simple dings.

Great car!
By John TheGalant Owner on 01/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

So far this car has managed to cross several mountain ranges, a desert and near-arctic conditions, survived a five day road trip with cats, and gotten through some of the worst bumper-to-bumper traffic while commuting to work every day! Best car I have ever owned!