Used 1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Galant model:

Up to 185,000 before the final drive
By 412scott

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This was my wife's first car, purchased in 2000 as a used car. It held up through Pittsburgh winters, though often with some sliding, and a parkway accident. It's now at 185,000 miles and was an excellent commuter car up until the last round of breaks and transmission repair needs. Very, very stylish and quality acceleration.

The champagne color and overall car design still got positive comments from mechanics and car enthusiasts in 2010, first of all. Acceleration was good, CD player was phenominal to have back in the early 00's, too.

Not the best handling in the snow.

Loved it!
By think1st

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I got my Galant brand new in 1997. It now has @130K miles. I've had no major problems with it. Fun to drive because it has a great acceleration 'kick'. Just zips in and out of traffic or when passing on the highway. At first it used to jerk when first starting out on the road. I had to learn how to manage the gas pedal so it wouldn't do that. over the last year or so different things have had to be replaced, but I've had it for 15 yrs so I don't complain (plus a mechanic friend has done most of the work for me on the cheap). Time for me to get a SUV so sadly I'm having to sale it.

mine had leather seats, dashboard and armrests. alloy wheels, white exterior tan interior with taupe contrasts...so attractive. the zippy acceleration. mine had a 10 cd changer with the cd remote in the car.

correct that initial jerk (they told me it was fuzzy logic)~go figure...well, I did

buy one if u can find one
By DAVE THE SLAVE

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Purch. New has been a good car, some repairs belt adjusters, 3 sets of brakes & rotors 3 sets of tires other reg stuff plugs, wires, 2 value cover gaskets, org muffler till on 128,000 runs like new no problems with ac etc

great gas mileage 28-32

better hardware plastic breaks to easy

'97 Galant
By Michael

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This car is terrible. I had such a bad experience with this car, that I would NEVER consider buying a Mitsubishi again. We purchased it brand new when it first came out. Since then, we have changed our transmission three times. The first time was by an independent and it didn't turn out very well. So we decided the second time we would get it done at the dealer, which you would assume would be better. Unfortunately, that was not the case. As soon as our warranty ran out, our transmission died again. I tried to talk to the dealer, but it was no use. The third time we had it replaced by an independent mechanic again because there is no point in getting by the dealer if there's no reliability. This car has been very unreliable.

It has pretty good pick up.

Fix the car or don't sell it because it was definitely not worth the money. I won't recommend it to ANYONE with the intention of buying a car.

Its a B.A.M! - Bummin' Around Mobile!
By Virgo'sGalant

1997 Mitsubishi Galant Sedan DE 4dr Sedan

I got my 1997 Mitsubishi Galant cheap off of Ebay with 173,000 miles on it. I replaced several OEM parts and upgraded the wheels/tires. This car gets good gas mileage and allows me to keep wear/tear off the two family cars. Its 2.4L engine is torquey. I will upgrade the brakes / suspension next, then add a new air intake.

It's basic and simple. It is light enough on its feet and handles well.

Okay. I wish the DE model had power door locks. It is a bit of a pain to reach over and unlock the doors to let folks in, but then again, I commute with this car and rarely anyone rides in it but me. :-)