Used 1997 Mitsubishi Galant DE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mitsubishi Galant - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Galant model:

Its a B.A.M! - Bummin' Around Mobile!
By Virgo'sGalant

1997 Mitsubishi Galant DE 4dr Sedan

I got my 1997 Mitsubishi Galant cheap off of Ebay with 173,000 miles on it. I replaced several OEM parts and upgraded the wheels/tires. This car gets good gas mileage and allows me to keep wear/tear off the two family cars. Its 2.4L engine is torquey. I will upgrade the brakes / suspension next, then add a new air intake.

It's basic and simple. It is light enough on its feet and handles well.

Okay. I wish the DE model had power door locks. It is a bit of a pain to reach over and unlock the doors to let folks in, but then again, I commute with this car and rarely anyone rides in it but me. :-)

Good car for price
By Minneapolis

1997 Mitsubishi Galant DE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 5 years and have been very happy with it. I have been looking at new cars for about 12 months... and it is just so hard to convince myself to have a car payment when my Galant just keeps going and going. I haven't had any major troubles with it. The transmission has always felt funny - like it was going to go - but never has. It is a good car and it has surprisingly quick acceleration on the highways (for a 97, 2.4L sedan).

Its reliability and full size spare.

Seats that fold down, better wipers, and ABS.

Very Uneven
By SV

1997 Mitsubishi Galant DE 4dr Sedan

Bought it used at 38,000 Excellent Performance, Good Handling, very Torquey engine. Good Brakes, Sharp Steering, but very over geared. At 75 on fifth, I find myself trying to upshift to a higher gear. Had to replace gearbox at 70000. and electic roof at 50,000. Admittedly I have put 82,000 in a little over 3 years. The same kind of milage I used to put in my 91 Camry which I had to kill after 230000 miles due ro rust. Would I buy another mitusbishi? Probabaly not. Would rather pay the premium for a Camry.

Performance, performance, Performance

Terrible cloth seats, worse than velco in picking up dirt and stains. Very cheap roof liner.

Great Car
By Mcam

1997 Mitsubishi Galant DE 4dr Sedan

My Galant has over 100k miles and it still runs great. I've had no problems with this car. It is solid and reliable. I have the 5 speed std. It is quick and handles nicely in corners.

Good Basic Car
By Zarkov

1997 Mitsubishi Galant DE 4dr Sedan

I own a '97 Galant DE and as compared to a '98 Accord I leased, it is an excellent and much less expensive replacement. It's lighter, and less refined than the Honda particularly in how it feels on the road and the interior design, but I have found it to be a bit quieter, and a better value when considering an Accord might cost 2X.

Quiet interior. Somewhat comparable to the Accord for much less. Good appearance. Had been 100% reliable.

Better radio. Needs armrest. Put the radio antenna in the windshield please.