Used 1996 Mitsubishi Galant Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mitsubishi Galant - Consumer Reviews

1996 Mitsubishi Galant

View reviews for a specific Galant model:

Love this car!
By mdark

1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 150k miles on it, has had a few minor issues but nothing abnormal for a car that's now pushing 165k miles. The car is extremely comfortable, I love driving it and the gas economy for a 1996 is AMAZING. The freeway MPG is phenomenal, however it dislikes stop and go in-town driving and traffic. Extremely reliable and the maintenance fees are pretty reasonable. I'd recommend this car to anyone, I can expect it to go 200k with ease.

Favorite Features

Overdrive Freeway gas economy Fun and ease to drive and maintain

Suggested Improvements

The car needs to be babied, it requires a car-lover. With neglecting treatment this car can be driven into the ground right quick. In-town gas economy, especially stop and go, could be improved.

Galant GS
By Monkey

1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

Great little car. Even after adding some bolt on power (turbo) the car was very reliable. This is until we hit 170000, then the engine had a few stumbles. At 175000 the engine said its about my time and the transmission soon followed. I am sure that had this drivetrain remained stock it would have easily hit the 250000 mark.

Favorite Features

The dual lower front control arm setup. Makes it hug the road when maintained. Ability to use Eclipse driveline components to make the car "that much more fun".

Suggested Improvements

Grease fitting in the suspension components. I to this day do not see why they stopped putting them in the factory part for the car.

It's finally time to sell
By Nick

1996 Mitsubishi Galant S 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 104K on it back in 01. Had it ever since. I now have 225K and it is finally time to get rid of it. The last 20K have had some problems with it, but what car wouldn't at that many miles. Paint has chipped off and some rusting around the wheel wells. Did most repairs myself. Good car for the price I paid. Drove it into the ground but it still gets 25mpg.

Favorite Features

Reliability, mpg, comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

better paint quality, colder A/C

Big style, little substance.
By MBowen574

1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Mitsubishi Galant as a college car. It had 83,400 miles on it when bought, now it is at 90,850 miles. I love the styling, inside and out. I love that it's easy to work on. I just love this car. I've done a great deal of work on it, and have mostly gotten it all working again. The engine is really smooth for a 4-cyl. with the A/C off, the interior has held up really well, all the problems the car had when I got it have been relatively easy to fix. It's a shame the parts are so expensive and the major components (engine, transmission) are so finicky about care and proper maintainence. I can provide great care to this car, and have. The previous owners didn't. It's a shame really. I plan to keep it for a long time! This is an awesome car!

Favorite Features

Head unit-mounted equalizer, fog lights, dual balance shafts, VR-4 alloy wheels, factory mudguards, and 6-disc CD changer.

Suggested Improvements

Too bad they never got around to offering that 2.5L V6, and the build quality on my 1996 Galant at 84,000 miles is much worse than a junkyard-bound 207,000 mile wrecked 1994 Galant S I've been scavenging for parts. Also, mine would be a perfect sports sedan if it had a 5- speed!

my mitsubishi ...it's time to sell =0(
By patty

1996 Mitsubishi Galant LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 105,000 miles on it. Everyone told me not too, it has been a wonderful car and is now pushing 180,000 miles! Great gas milage, quick for a 4-cylinder! Fun little car to drive with overdrive at the push of a button and power everything and leather seats and even a spolier on the back! I have to sell it now. If you buy one, I hope you have as much luck with yours as I have had.

Favorite Features

leather, moon and sunroof, power seats, overdrive.