1991 Mitsubishi Galant - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Galant model:
good for 278K
By good for 275K on 01/16/10 11:24 AM (PST)

1991 Mitsubishi Galant GS 4dr Sedan

After 275K it's time to trade up to next gen. Galant. Has been reliable over long trips. Faithful oil changing has been about the only maintenance done. Tranny replaced only once!

Satisfied customer
By satisfied customer on 06/10/09 20:42 PM (PDT)

1991 Mitsubishi Galant LS 4dr Sedan

I looked at this car for three years before I bought one in 1991. I had owned a Colt. I have had the transmission rebuilt at about 170,000 miles, and the vehicle will turn 290,000 miles next week. My only other costs have been routine. The radio and tape player still work. The air conditioner is still great with regular maintenance. I may drive to the dealership when I hit 300,000 just to treat the salesman.

Great fun car
By Peter on 01/21/09 10:30 AM (PST)

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Turbo 4dr Sedan AWD

Aside from a rebuilt transfer case (which Mitsubishi paid for even though the car, at the time, was 15 years old and had 140,000 miles on it) the car has been great. Probably the most fun car I have driven. Even now with 200,000 miles on it - and I think the past owner was rough on it - it is great to drive. The car was way ahead of its time. It handles well (with 4 wheel steering), great traction (with AWD), good gearbox.

Appalling Acceleration, bad fuel mileage
By Martin on 02/21/05 14:24 PM (PST)

1991 Mitsubishi Galant LS 4dr Sedan

A solid, well built car which is comfortable. The LS with automatic transmission is has terrible acceleration. For reasons only known to Mitsubishi they have an overdrive switch and a power/economy switch. Possibly the overdrive is good on freeway driving but mileage is below 18 mpg in town whatever mode used. Do not buy an automatic! Otherwise car is good at handling, easy to drive, lot of room and comportable. Why they bother with fuel injection I do not know.

Fabulous, fun car
By jrl on 02/08/05 15:48 PM (PST)

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Turbo 4dr Sedan AWD

This has been a great car - always fun to drive. Enjoyed especially the turbo charged engine, manual transmission, a fine CD/audio system, the AWD. Low miles due to working lots out of town - do not even consider replacement as it would cost a huge amount to get a car of this quality in today's market. I don't expect to ever have another such super car; it's a shame they only marketed the VR-4 turbos in 1991 (2000 of them) and in 1992.

Second Time Around
By Jim Nichols on 01/13/05 19:33 PM (PST)

1991 Mitsubishi Galant GS 4dr Sedan

Bought my 1991 Mitsubishi Galant from a one-owner lady with 163,000 miles on it, in 2/2002. It came with a shoe-box full of every receipt ever written on maintenance came with the car. We've driven it another 48,000 miles in three years. It is a super car. We have been coast-to-coast several times. It handles Montana winters like it's still in Florida. It gives me 30/33 mpg, and cruises at 80 MPH. After 211,000 miles, it uses a quart of oil every 1,500 miles, Mobil 1. I may keep it forever.

Ultimate Sleeper
By TmDwnFrce on 12/13/04 15:45 PM (PST)

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Turbo 4dr Sedan AWD

From one generation to the other we always have a Mitsubishi or two. I was trying to purchase a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, but the deal didnt go through. Luckily I met this guy at the shop where they are building & turboing my 8th Generation Galant & bought a 1991 Galant from him. I have had it for two weeks and I can't wait to have the fastest 91-94 Galant here in Vegas.

Good quality over the years
By Gipsy on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Turbo 4dr Sedan AWD

This car has 206,000 miles and is still going. It has had the transmission rebuilt and $600 worth of brake repairs, but other than that there have been no major problems over its life. The cruise control, turbo and overdrive on/off options no longer worked after 200,000 miles but the car still goes. It is still dependable as a commuter car or as a first car for a teenager.

galant vr4
By jonvr4 on 10/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Turbo 4dr Sedan AWD

the car is a family sports car.

1991 Galant
By SU on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mitsubishi Galant 4dr Sedan

My Galant is still running with 160000 miles on it. In 13 years, besides regular maintenance, I have spent around $2000 in repair cost. Excellent vehicle. I said I would purchase another Galant once this one dies, but it's still running!