Used 1992 Mitsubishi Expo Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Mitsubishi Expo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expo model:

Our Favorite Car
By asa

1992 Mitsubishi Expo Hatchback LRV Sport 2dr Hatchback

We bought our Expo LRV new and it's been a wonderful car. It was a poor decision for Mitsubishi to drop this car from their catalog in North America.

It is fun to drive, gets excellent fuel economy, and has a lot of carrying capacity.

Bring this vehicle back to North America. It's known as the Colt elsewhere.

Great Cheap Car
By sallymander

1992 Mitsubishi Expo Hatchback SP 4dr Hatchback

I've had this car for six years and it's been a great choice. It has loads of interior space, sits nice and high for us petite folk, and has taken me back and forth across the country at least twice a year. Initially it got around 30 mpg, now it's sagging a little at around 26 mpg, but it is not bad for an old car! I did have to get the tranny rebuilt at about 150,000 miles, after the idle regulator went. Why are all the great cars only made a few years?

The high ride, the interior space, the ergonomics, and gas usage.

There is a part that goes bad, some sort of idle regulator that can result in the frying of the transmission. This is a fairly common problem, so if your tranny goes, check out this part.

Good Old Friend
By IFR-VFR

1992 Mitsubishi Expo Hatchback SP 4dr Hatchback 4WD

We've had our 1992 Mitsubishi Expo since it was new in 1991 as a 1992 model. Our son finally found a way to kill it - it developed a coolant leak and he ignored it until it was too late. This was the best handling car I've ever had in the slippery stuff including our current Audi A6 Quattro and Jeep Grand Cherokee AWD. It has a huge interior for such a small exterior and comfortable upright seating. It has a third row for kids that fold flat into the floor. I never had to change the shocks, cv boots or joints, or have it aligned. Its original brakes lasted past 60,000 miles, and its transmission was still fine after 180,000 miles. Even here at the Salt Capital of America (Seacoast, NH) it had almost no rust anywhere. I would buy one again if it was still sold here.

Its slippery weather handling, molded flat place in the dash for a coffee cup, perfect placement of cruise controls, roof rack, solid build, nice upright seating position, and great all-round visibility.

The gas mileage could have been better, but 23 mpg is not so bad for a vehicle with AWD. A turbo option would have added to the problem but the extra power would have been worth it. Some of the interior bits are made from flimsy materials and the standard stereo is weak.

older version of the Toyota Matrix xr4wd
By MrMatrix

1992 Mitsubishi Expo Hatchback SP 4dr Hatchback 4WD

This car is wonderful, I own a 2004 Toyota Matrix xr 4wd. This Mitsubishi is extremly similar. Of coarse to me the Matrix's looks blow my little Mitsu away, but it is really just a gem of a car. I love everything about it. So far so good, I hope it is as reliable as everyone says it is. My mechnic said I picked a great car. He was not that happy because he said he wont make any money off me for it is soo reliable.. He told me I have great car choices. I own A 96 prizm which I may sell, a 1992 mitsu Expo and the Toyo Matrix. All proven so far to be excellent RELIABLE cars. I dont want to get rid of the ever!

awd,versatility,cargo room,sit high up,seats 7,reliable,fun,peppy! I may sell my GEO.. EMAIL US AT HER1996GEOPRIZM@WMCONNECT.COM ITS FEATURED ON AUTOTRADER.COM

Continue makeing them!

Update
By Freddie-01R

1992 Mitsubishi Expo Hatchback LRV 2dr Hatchback

I last reviewed this vehicle in March 2002. It still is holding up great though I am no longer using the vehicle for courier work. Currently it has 215,000 miles. The vehicle gets very good gas mileage (check my last post) and the inexpensive tires wear evenly usually lasting over 30,000 miles. In conclusion, this is a great vehicle because of its good looks, affordability and practicality. Not to mention my great mechanic!

Fun to drive factor even though you would not expect it (mainly because of the 5-spd). Good looks. Reliabilty. Cargo room.

None.