Used 2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

2005 Eclipse GTS Coupe - 5 Speed
By Adam

2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am very pleased with my Eclipse. Though, this is the second one I've owned since 2001. The car extremey fun to drive and not something that becomes burdensome after a short while. The leather seating is comfortable, and the interior is roomy enough for the driver and passenger. I don't consider this car a true "Sports Car" by definition, but I would call it a "Sporty" vehicle. It has enough power and torque to get you where you're going as fast as you want, but don't expect to race your neighbor's flashy Nissan 350Z. Mitsubishi has definately upped their build quality since the '90's. This Eclipse feels solid and is extremely reliable. The clutch on the 5-speed models is very forgiving and easy to drive.

Favorite Features

The car is actually very fun to drive. It has plenty of room for the driver and passenger. The torquey V6 engine makes accelerating from a stop enthralling, but watch out for the torque steer, this FWD car definately has it.

Suggested Improvements

The turning radius of the V6 models is rougly 36 feet. I find myself making 3 point u-turns constantly, and taking wide approahes into parking spots. The V6 powerplant and vehicle's sheer weight make this car uderpowered when compared to other low to mid $20,000 sport vehicles. It needs better seat support, side / lumbar.

Sporty & Powerful (V6)
By Ray

2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS is fun to drive, especially during warm weather with the sunroof open. It is as powerful as many of the V8s were several years ago. Its price wasn't too bad for a sports car. The cost of insurance is kind of high though.

Favorite Features

The style, appearance, and strong V6 engine. It handles great and is easy to park or back up.

Suggested Improvements

It could use a little more head room. it needs an electronic rear hatch opener for the keys. I have to be careful not to scratch the rear bumper with my excessive number of keys when unlocking the rear hatch.

Awesome!
By Jessica

2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My experience is great. This is my first car and its a '97. I love it , the way it drives ad accelerates and stuff like that. Its awsome, I wouldn't change it for anything esle.

Favorite Features

The turbo engine and the interior of the car.

We Love our Eclipse!
By Lindiglo

2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have only had our Eclipse since Feb 2005....so far we love it! We are in our 40's and this car has a way of making you feel 20 years younger. With the sunroof open, and the whole day ahead of us.......we are young again. Our Eclipse is Pearl White, and we put a black bra on the front, I truely think it's the sharpest looking car in our city.

Favorite Features

I love everything about our Eclipse.

Suggested Improvements

The one thing I would suggest is.....a remote trunk opener. This could be an option ours did not come with, but it's about the only thing I don't like about the car. The remote has buttons to unlock the doors, but it would be great if it unlocked and opened the hatch too.

2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS
By jim o

2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Okay - it's only been 2 months but I also own a 2003 Maxima (Which I love) and this car rides BETTER and is more fun to drive! Not as quick but oh so close...Both cars have Goodyear Eagles. Unlike on the Maxima, they are very sticky on GTS- even in the rain. This is a tight car. It gets lots of compliments! Will post review after one year and winter in New York City. I Love this car so far. I intentionally purchased a 2005 model, the 2006 model looks too wierd for me.

Favorite Features

Plenty of power/torque with the sport- shifer- Great Ride - GREAT looks- GOOD gas mileage...

Suggested Improvements

Could really use some rear room and rear visibility- But - hey-who cares! if I wanted that I would have opted for an Acura or Camry. Better leather would be nice.