Used 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Great used sports car for the money
By jane0283

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my GTS. I bought it with 23,000 miles and have had it for a year and a half now and already have over 50,000. I haven't had any problems with the engine and it handles well. It's the best used fwd sports car you can get for the money. It's a good looking car, great features, lots of cargo space, great gas mileage, plenty of power, comfortable seats, and great sounding stereo. There are only a few negatives. I had one blow out on the highway and then an air leakage, and the tires probably had another 10,000 miles left on them. Another issue is how low the car sits. Be prepared to ruin your bumper going into bad parking lots, and it has a horrible turning radius.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage! I can get up to 30 mpg on the highway with premium gas. I put a K&N air filter in, and I think that helps, along with synthetic oil. The car is fun to drive and has decent power with little torque steer. The clutch is very easy to learn on and I'd suggest getting a manual.

Suggested Improvements

Blind spot is bad, but it's bad with most hatch back sports cars. Turning radius is awful. Easy to ruin your bumper because it sits so low, no matter how careful you are. You have to get premium gas if you want good gas milage.

Fun sports coupe
By Red GTS

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I wanted to buy my daughter the Eclipse in 2003, but opted for a "practical" 4 door vehicle. 4 years later, I helped her trade in the other vehicle for a red '03 Eclipse GTS (with only 20,000 miles). It's a sharp looking, great performing car. Made changes to the wheels (larger) and new wider Kumho tires. I own an '06 Eclipse GT (6M) and find it to be great. Now, I'm glad to see her as an owner of the Eclipse she always wanted.

Favorite Features

Good power (210) and handling in all weather. Comfortable ride. Good gas mileage. Best features, however, is the styling.

Suggested Improvements

Trunk latch on key.

Excellent Value, Very Reliable
By EclipseOwnerJPB

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used, year-old Eclipse GS and have been extremely pleased with it. The interior is very comfortable and gives you that sports-car feel. It is great in the snow, handles very well and has been very reliable. For a sports car it gets good mileage.

Favorite Features

Infinity sound system is a great bonus. The interior is well designed. Everything is easily reachable at your fingertips and is very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I have had trouble with is the moonroof - it doesn't slide smoothly. It stutters when opening and applying grease hasn't helped.

Good car, has quirks
By Captain

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car has cool going for it, comfortable ride and okay handling for being so heavy. It has a lot of road noise, huge blind spots (but that is to be expected on any sports car) and a turn radius so bad you have to drive it to believe it. Interior is plastic, but stylish. The back seat is merely for looks, but you shouldn't have a problem selecting takers for the front seat (everyone wants to ride in it). It is very reliable, no mechanical problems, although I would highly recommend better grounding wires since Mitsubishi stock grounds are suspect at best. There have been two attempts to break into the car with no success (popped lock stayed locked, window won't peal). All in all, good car.

Favorite Features

It's cool, peppy, comfortable, reliable, sunroof, 6 disk changer, leather, a lot of car for the money, roomy front seat.

Suggested Improvements

Turn radius, road noise, wieght, sunroof sticks on occasion, cup holder is in the way.

Some Trouble, but Overall Happiness
By Eric

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love the car - the way it drives and looks, but a few problems are souring me. Water immediately got in the doors during rain and caused a moldy smell. Now the power windows are failing at 90,000 miles. The A/C went out at 80,000 miles. The brakes are of moderate quality and durability. The window tint started peeling within 50,000 miles. The hatchback is tough to open and won't stay up in cold weather. The interior poorly designed - I reach too far for many things. The plastic interior takes a beating. The plastic hooks for the floor mats break easily. Also, the blind spot is a major issue and the A/C (when working) saps much engine power. On small bumps, I bottom out the nose. But man, at 60 mph, the acceleration is great.

Favorite Features

The acceleration at highway speed is responsive! I love the stylish looks and sporty feel. This car has been mostly reliable. The dash display is easy to read. I still get 27 mpg routinely and during Summer 2006 (with A/C broken) I topped out at 29.5 mpg!

Suggested Improvements

The windows allow in moisture, the A/C not high-quality (rumor has it the compressor is not well protected from road hazard), and the blind spot is the worst in the rear-left. The 4-cyl. engine is slow off the line (what would you expect from a 4-cyl.?