Used 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews - 193 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Great gas mileage!!!!
By Wilhite

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car gets great gas mileage! I get an average of 32.5 miles per gallon! My car is a V6 and it really packs a punch! Gets lots of compliments. Glad I purchased it!

Great gas mileage!

Better cushioned lower lumbar in the front seats. Inside door panels has a strip that's 'painted', and it has been flaking off.

Underrated Car
By kobo1d

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my Eclipse GTS Automatic for a little over 4 years and it has been a very nice car. Bought used, still under factory bumper-to-bumper warranty, I've driven it hard (currently at 67000 miles) and have had very little issues with it. The only problems with the car have been some electrical issues: The factory 6-CD player completely stopped working, refusing to play and making a horrible crunching sound constantly. Mitsubishi wanted $450 to fix it, so I just replaced it with an aftermarket setup. The switch for the passenger side window only rolls the window up, not down, so the passenger has to roll down their own window. Sunroof switch is touchy. And yes, the plastic scratches easy.

Decently fast performance, it's cheaper (used) than a WRX, RSX-S, SRT-4 of the same vintage. The closest competitors by price/performance are the Celica GT-S, Tiburon, Civic Si. I'm too tall to fit in the tiny Celica, and the Tiburon and Civic Si are just too slow. Comfortable, fun, and great value.

Driving with a lead foot and the 4spd auto, I get ~20 mpg. Not a good "tuner" car, if you care about that kind of thing (heavy+FWD). If you need a daily driver that's also a lot of fun, excellent choice. Some people won't like the low seating position, or turning radius, blind spots. Who cares? B+ Car.

My fun car
By kay juneau

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I loved my car. IT has been excellent but one thing I don't like is the whole dash cracked on it other than that I would not give nothing for my car ever. I like my eclipse so much I kept it and bought myself another one, a 2007. I hope that I will enjoy it as much as my 2003 I still have.

Everything but the dash.

The manufacturer needs to improve the dash material so it don't crack in prolonged sun light.

Fun Car!
By Ruben

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Eclipse GS has 105,000 miles (got it with 35,000). It has been pretty reliable, besides doing some maintenance which isn't cheap. Other than that, it is an extremely fun car to drive. Moon roof open, windows down, it makes you feel good. Acceleration sounds awesome, even on the highway. When you sit in the driver's seat, you know you're in a sports car. It's OK in New England winter, but AWESOME in the summer!

Body style, moon roof, engine sound, auto/manual transmission, steering wheel, spoiler.

Reduce road noise, definitely make the doors lighter, add a timing chain instead of belt.

Reliable but not as fast as it looks
By jrod

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Just recently bought my 03 gs eclipse, it's a 4 cylinder so less power, better gas mileage. I thought with slight mods it would be a lot faster than what it is. Hasn't stalled or broken down on me once, and it is still fun to drive, and just by painting the rims and spoiler you WILL be completely satisfied with the look. I give it 80% outta a hundred.

Sounds aggressive, looks fantastic. Interior is simple and does have potential for speed.

bigger backseat