Used 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Better than expected gas mileage
By IowaWinters

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Other than maintenance items this car has been super reliable. It sits low to the ground but still got around in 7.5 inches of snow this winter. Granted I have pretty new tires on it! Stock brake rotors are crap - invest in some nice aftermarket ones. I put on drilled and slotted rotors and can stop on a dime! This summer I think I'll figure out why the A/C drips on my foot. Have heard the A/C vent tube can get clogged on these. Got 114,500 miles on it now and hope to get at least 200,000 out of it!

Favorite Features

Sporty look, excellent gas mileage (get around 33 mpg with only real mod being a K&N air filter).

Suggested Improvements

Aluminum rims get scratched and bent very easily! Insurance is a little more than expected on a 6 year old car.

Hard to think of getting rid of it
By very impressed

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car with 60 miles on it in 2004. It now has 206,000 on it. It is amazingly reliable. Especially considering how we have abused it. It has been rear-ended and ditched. The only thing we have done is replace the belt that needs replaced @ 70,000 miles, replaced a bearing in the clutch @ 140,000 miles and recently had to replace the battery for the first time. I really can't say enough about this car. The thought of getting something else that won't be as reliable is hard to take. If I weren't a mother of 2 I would just get another one!!! Our Infiniti G35 sedan is another story and probably adds to my anxiety about replacing it. Keep up the good work Mits.

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage, reliability

Suggested Improvements

For the class of car that it is I can't really think of anything

Found my tuner
By godfather6385

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The car has excellent acceleration for a 4 cylinder. The suspension is stiff but yet smooth. There is plenty of room in the trunk for many items. The back seat is a bit cramped, but there is plenty of room up front.

Favorite Features

I really enjoy the child seat anchor points. It allows me to take my nieces and nephews for a ride. The 400 watt Infinity stereo has a beautiful sound quality.

Suggested Improvements

The car needed to return the gst and gsx models. I really wish it had awd. The Infinity stereo should have come with a subwooofer.

Best Car Ever
By SamanthaJo

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Eclipse a year ago and I have loved every minute of owning it. It is a very reliable car and a lot of fun to drive. It drives and handles very well. I love the appearance, inside and out. I would not give this car up for any other car out there. The gas mileage is good for a sports car and I have had no problems with this car.

Favorite Features

sleek look, moonroof

Good, solid car & looks and drives great
By TonyM

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just got the GTS, 5-speed about 2 months ago. A little late maybe. But it's what I could afford. I think this car is very solid and runs great. As long as you keep up on your oil changes, and put premium in it like the owners manual suggests. The first thing I noticed because I immediately drove it on the highway was it takes a while to find a comfortable adjustment on your seat in conjunction with using the clutch as well as sitting for prolonged periods of times. My back hurt for about a week in beginning to drive it. It's fast though, for sure. This car packs a punch! I haven't had it long enough to really even encounter mechanical problems... *knock on wood*.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage-I get 26/31! (no joke) And I've only had it two months. I'm sure I will get more in the future. Steering wheel controls are nice, looks, 6-CD changer, compass/outside temp, rear wiper.

Suggested Improvements

Better turning radius, clutch is weird...maybe mine just needs to be adjusted.