Used 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Be cautious of 1.9% financing from MMCA
By jlarimer2002

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Mitsubishi Motor Credit of America (MMCA) reeled me in with the special 1.9% financing rate and then sold my loan to another company within 30 days of my purchase. I was never sent an initial monthly statement or notice that my loan had been sold prior to my first payment due date. I had to make my first payment over the phone which cost an additional $10.00 for the ACH fee.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger floor becomes wet/damp after it rains.

Best Car Under 5k
By peelout

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

You can get these cars for very cheap. They are extremely nice. I got mine for 3,000 from a friend of the family, it could've of easily been sold for 5,000 however. (It's really good condition) Mine has 137,000 miles on it. It's fast, I've gotten it up to 150. It's good on gas. (Unless you shift at 5k RPM like me when im trying to impress my friends -- i can watch the gas gauge go down) 18-25mpg. Please put premium in this car, yes it matters. Look it up. When you're not hot rodding this car, it still turns heads. Very nice looking. If you're worried about your kid hot rodding it like me, get them the 4cyl. This car is great. Do your kid a favor, don't get him a grandma car. get an eclipse.

Favorite Features

The leather interior is an amazing feature, the car is very sexy. Some people say that the back seats are not roomy at all, I dont find this to be true, the convertible is supposed to have even less back room, but it's spacious enough. Anyone who says it doesnt have alot of space is probably used to an SUV or something. I'm 5'11 - I keep my seat close to the wheel. Speaking of the leather interior - It is so comfortable. Probably some of the most comfortable seats i've been in. The wheel is also very nice you wont want to put a cover on it. Mitsubishi Makes great engines. Mine has 137k on it, and theres nothing wrong. Even though your 6" from the ground, you wont feel the road. Suspension A+

Suggested Improvements

The alarm doesn't turn off if you start your car. I guess you're supposed to unlock the driver side door with the key, but i'm not very bright, so i didn't try it. Instead i took out my horn fuse and drove down the street with my lights flashing, hahaha. If you're reading this, just remember --unlock the door with the key-- This isn't much of an issue, but it still makes me mad every time : The clutch is just a tad close to the brake. It's only happened to me a couple times, but ill put my foot on the clutch and hit the brake on the way down. I'm sure the issue is with me however.

I Love My Car!!!
By spunkymonkey72

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used in 2010. I figured I'd have fun and drive it until my son was old enough to drive it and then I would pass it down to him. Well, he is 6 months away from being able to get his license and honestly...I don't want to give it up! It has been very reliable and lots of fun to drive. In the time I have owned it I have only had to replace the battery and tires.

Favorite Features

Fave features: What can I say...I love everything about this car!

Too awesome...
By mustangof08

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I got my license a few months ago, was looking on a used car dealership website, and found a silver Eclipse. So I told my dad about it, and got out of school one day to find it sitting where I usually park my mom's car at school. Big surprise. I've been driving it for only about 2 1/2 months now, but every second has been amazing. My friends tell me how good it looks, and how good it sounds for a 4-cyl. I love it, and you know it's gotta be a reliable car when a 16 year old drives it. Teenagers drive like we're blind, but this car never lets me down. Definitely recommend. 9/10

Favorite Features

Performance, acceleration, sound, design, agility, gas mileage

Fun to Drive!
By sara_huntley

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Eclipse from a private seller in Aug 2012 with 119, 990 miles on it which turned to 120,000 on the way home. The guy didn't tell me all of the problems that came with it but that was expected. The car was over 100k and obviously needed some repairs due to its age. They were all minor fixes that were neglected. Throughout the couple months of fixing these things the car ran very well. I have never been stuck on the side of the road! I love that it came with the power shift for accelerating even with a 4-cyl. With regular maintenance this car can go for 200k+ miles!

Favorite Features

Power Shift, sleek, sporty exterior look, easy to fix up, great first car!

Suggested Improvements

Interior is a little uncomfortable for more than 2 people in a coupe, really low to the ground and hard to get out of