2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:
I Love My Car!!!
By spunkymonkey72 on 05/19/14 21:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used in 2010. I figured I'd have fun and drive it until my son was old enough to drive it and then I would pass it down to him. Well, he is 6 months away from being able to get his license and honestly...I don't want to give it up! It has been very reliable and lots of fun to drive. In the time I have owned it I have only had to replace the battery and tires.

Follow up from 2011 review / 2014 comments
By overboost007 on 02/09/14 11:55 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Ok my 2003 GTS Eclipse V6 currently has 119000 miles. received Duralast Gold brake pads since I purchased it and 2 oil changes Mobile 1 synthentic and thats it. Now the BAD. The Flywheel and clutch went. Replaced them at Don Herring Mitsubishi in Plano Texas Thanks JT. Then the ABS light came on. I'll go to Auto Zone and get the Code and fix it myself. So far the second best used car I have owned next to my old 1999 Honda Accord CPE V6. AGAIN I do not race. The only upgrade is an INJEN Intake system. Hopefully I can trade it in next year for a 2011 Dodge Charger or challenger. But my 2003 MITS GTS is one of the best reliable used cars you can buy hands down.

Too awesome...
By mustangof08 on 11/21/13 13:20 PM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I got my license a few months ago, was looking on a used car dealership website, and found a silver Eclipse. So I told my dad about it, and got out of school one day to find it sitting where I usually park my mom's car at school. Big surprise. I've been driving it for only about 2 1/2 months now, but every second has been amazing. My friends tell me how good it looks, and how good it sounds for a 4-cyl. I love it, and you know it's gotta be a reliable car when a 16 year old drives it. Teenagers drive like we're blind, but this car never lets me down. Definitely recommend. 9/10

Fun to Drive!
By sara_huntley on 06/06/13 12:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Eclipse from a private seller in Aug 2012 with 119, 990 miles on it which turned to 120,000 on the way home. The guy didn't tell me all of the problems that came with it but that was expected. The car was over 100k and obviously needed some repairs due to its age. They were all minor fixes that were neglected. Throughout the couple months of fixing these things the car ran very well. I have never been stuck on the side of the road! I love that it came with the power shift for accelerating even with a 4-cyl. With regular maintenance this car can go for 200k+ miles!

Love the looks, but some design flaws
By andymick32 on 01/08/13 10:01 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 60k miles and put 30k miles on the car in 2.5 years before selling. All in all, the car was pretty darn reliable. I didn't have any mechanical issues besides the sun roof which is a known problem. Went to get the car inspected this summer and was told the bottom of the car was rusting out. The mechanic showed me the apple sized hole right underneath the drivers side floorboard and another spot below the gas tank and the fuel filler neck and the trunk lid! The car has some major issues here as certain areas are prone to collect water. Make sure you check these areas before you buy!

Hot car, bad mechanics
By flowerstar333 on 12/01/12 09:47 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first car. I bought it at 79k miles used. 6 thousand miles later, we've put $6000 from the day I got it. Dealer sold it with the wrong transmission in it. That was 4000. Something with the steering wasn't right and a few other things that costed 1000. For a few months it was ok. During the summer when I turned it on, it just died after a few seconds. That hasn't happened since. I noticed a creaking sound to the right. It had a worn upper engine mount and transmission mount and a oil gasket leak which all costed 1200 to fix. I wouldn't suggest this for a first especially if you only have a min wage job! It's so much fun to drive but is that really worth all my money?

Great cars even used if you take care of it
By overboost007 on 10/15/12 22:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

OK people lesson I am 6ft 8in tall, 260 lbs, I formally drove a 1999 Honda Accord EX CPE V6 with 248,000. Now I have a 2003 Mitsubishi clipse GTS 5 speed manual that had 98,000 on it when I bought it. The previous owner took great care of it. I went through it hard. I am just a DIY guy that knows car. This car was a good buy because of how it was taken care of. The dealers can clean it up but I know brakes, fuel systems, intake, transmission & engine. It is not rocket science. Research on line and make a good choice. The car runs great I will upgrade the brakes to what I like an just maintain it until I am ready to by a newer vehicle

Not bad but parts can be expensive
By capitan_ed on 10/16/11 09:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The overall car isn't bad. I got the car used from a dealed about 7 years ago and put 90k miles of my own for a total of 150k (actual mileage). I gave all it maintenance and regular oil changes. The engine is not as strong as I would like to. I had to reapir it and change multiple valves, gaskets and resolve loss of pressure inside the engine. I live in CA and the smog regulations are strict here I had to get rid off the car for not passing the smog check because the catalytic converter worth more than the car itself. Not for tall people defenitly!

190,000 Miles and Still Going Strong
By guitar_guy on 06/08/11 03:20 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2004. It was February, and the salesman was discouraged as he walked me to the lot, and the car was under a pile of snow. He said all he had was a 4 cylinder with standard transmission... I didn't let on, but that's EXACTLY what I wanted. The car has been a dream to own. I have performed regular maintenance with my own mechanics. I never went back to the dealer, and never needed to. Oil changes every 3000, and regular timing belt changes were the bulk of maintenance. Also plugs every 60k. I replaced two tie rods, and recently an axle (after 189,000). Two sets of brake pads. That's about it. I love this car, and I don't want to part with it.

My 2003 Eclipse GTS
By rmitch86 on 04/15/11 08:11 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I owned a 2001 GS for a few years i inherited it from my parents when they traded up i loved it. When that car was rear ended and totalled in december i purchased a 2003 eclipse GTS gun metal grey. It has 74k and running great. My 01 got up to 212k and was running like a champ. Just do your sched maint. and keep an eye on problem areas. Both have been 5 speed and the feel of the clutch and the way the shifter pops into place is great. Very fun car to drive especially in the summer with the windows down and sunroof open. as long as you take car of the car and keep up with it the eclipse will treat you right. even stock its a head turner.