Used 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Best Car Under 5k
By peelout

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

You can get these cars for very cheap. They are extremely nice. I got mine for 3,000 from a friend of the family, it could've of easily been sold for 5,000 however. (It's really good condition) Mine has 137,000 miles on it. It's fast, I've gotten it up to 150. It's good on gas. (Unless you shift at 5k RPM like me when im trying to impress my friends -- i can watch the gas gauge go down) 18-25mpg. Please put premium in this car, yes it matters. Look it up. When you're not hot rodding this car, it still turns heads. Very nice looking. If you're worried about your kid hot rodding it like me, get them the 4cyl. This car is great. Do your kid a favor, don't get him a grandma car. get an eclipse.

Favorite Features

The leather interior is an amazing feature, the car is very sexy. Some people say that the back seats are not roomy at all, I dont find this to be true, the convertible is supposed to have even less back room, but it's spacious enough. Anyone who says it doesnt have alot of space is probably used to an SUV or something. I'm 5'11 - I keep my seat close to the wheel. Speaking of the leather interior - It is so comfortable. Probably some of the most comfortable seats i've been in. The wheel is also very nice you wont want to put a cover on it. Mitsubishi Makes great engines. Mine has 137k on it, and theres nothing wrong. Even though your 6" from the ground, you wont feel the road. Suspension A+

Suggested Improvements

The alarm doesn't turn off if you start your car. I guess you're supposed to unlock the driver side door with the key, but i'm not very bright, so i didn't try it. Instead i took out my horn fuse and drove down the street with my lights flashing, hahaha. If you're reading this, just remember --unlock the door with the key-- This isn't much of an issue, but it still makes me mad every time : The clutch is just a tad close to the brake. It's only happened to me a couple times, but ill put my foot on the clutch and hit the brake on the way down. I'm sure the issue is with me however.

Beautiful car and fun to drive
By vkmicro

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Well let me start off with comparing it to different cars I drove and took for a test drive. Before eclipse I used to drive 4 door sedans, and comparing to the sedans, Mitsubishi eclipse has much more maneuverability on the roads both on high speeds and around the city. Comparing to the Grand Prix 1997 which I used to have, it's slightly worse on the snow because it's a lot lighter weight, so have to drive with more caution. I have a GS edition with automatic transmission and it's awesome, it's really fast and like I mentioned before very agile on the road. Overall I give the car 9/10, wish it was slightly better designed inside (EX: Better cup holders) but it's fun and looks amazing.

Favorite Features

Well built, doesn't break, fast and agile, very steady on the road.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holder position.

I Love My Car!!!
By spunkymonkey72

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used in 2010. I figured I'd have fun and drive it until my son was old enough to drive it and then I would pass it down to him. Well, he is 6 months away from being able to get his license and honestly...I don't want to give it up! It has been very reliable and lots of fun to drive. In the time I have owned it I have only had to replace the battery and tires.

Favorite Features

Fave features: What can I say...I love everything about this car!

Follow up from 2011 review / 2014 comments
By overboost007

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Ok my 2003 GTS Eclipse V6 currently has 119000 miles. received Duralast Gold brake pads since I purchased it and 2 oil changes Mobile 1 synthentic and thats it. Now the BAD. The Flywheel and clutch went. Replaced them at Don Herring Mitsubishi in Plano Texas Thanks JT. Then the ABS light came on. I'll go to Auto Zone and get the Code and fix it myself. So far the second best used car I have owned next to my old 1999 Honda Accord CPE V6. AGAIN I do not race. The only upgrade is an INJEN Intake system. Hopefully I can trade it in next year for a 2011 Dodge Charger or challenger. But my 2003 MITS GTS is one of the best reliable used cars you can buy hands down.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, great on gas as a daily driver, comfortable to drive long distance in for me, easy to do simple maintenance on, brakes, starter, belts, radiator replacement, and oil changes

Suggested Improvements

Replacing spark plus on this car SUCKS. They do this on purpose sothe average Joe will not attempt it at home. So if you are a DIY guy you are ok but if not PLEASE take it to a shop or you will cause damage to it. PLEASE HEED THIS WARNING and buy a car you can work on and not just look good it. If you pocket are thick like that Oh well but for the working class folks like my that like to save money you will never see me in a BMW, AUDI or MERCEDES. Just my opinion.

Too awesome...
By mustangof08

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I got my license a few months ago, was looking on a used car dealership website, and found a silver Eclipse. So I told my dad about it, and got out of school one day to find it sitting where I usually park my mom's car at school. Big surprise. I've been driving it for only about 2 1/2 months now, but every second has been amazing. My friends tell me how good it looks, and how good it sounds for a 4-cyl. I love it, and you know it's gotta be a reliable car when a 16 year old drives it. Teenagers drive like we're blind, but this car never lets me down. Definitely recommend. 9/10

Favorite Features

Performance, acceleration, sound, design, agility, gas mileage