Used 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Worst mistake I ever made.
By Nate

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car for $4,000 in 2012, with 80,000 miles on it. I must have got a bad one. I had to replace coil packs shortly after buying it, and a main bearing in the engine went out as I was driving down the interstate and it began knocking. I barely got it home. Had to replace the engine, clutch, motor mounts, hoses, plugs, wires, coil packs, control arms, drive shaft, and a few other things by 102,000 miles. Then shortly after, the transmission had a bearing go out, and had to replace the tranny, alternator, and tierods by 112,000 miles. Had a few misc. issues, the hatch supports that hold the trunk lost pressure and had to be replaced, the seatbelt dinger stopped working, check engine light came on, starter became weak, headlights fell apart and had to be replaced (couldn't see more than 15 feet in front of my car), and for some reason the passenger side headlamp would burn out every 2 months. The front turn signals had to be replaced because they got water in them and corroded the socket, causing the turn signals to malfunction. This car just seemed like it was one problem after the next, and I lost my rear end on this car when I finally sold it, with 125,000 miles. I also noticed that the car had a weird shift link up. The engine would drop its RPM almost immediately after pushing the clutch to shift, then would jerk when letting it out after getting the car in gear. When starting out, it would vibrate really bad when letting the clutch out. The steering would pull to the left, unless I got on it, which would cause it to go straight, until I let up on the gas. The car was not equipped with ABS, and was incredibly dangerous to drive in snow. One inch would cause it to fishtail from behind, unless I pumped the breaks, which was difficult in some situations.

Sporty
By Len Muller

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Not for 5

Great car
By Shane

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Best model they made what do you expect. Its governed at 147. Anyone that says they had theyre 4cyl to 150 either doesnt have a gov or is lieing. But the car is fast. 0 to 60 in about 6 sec. Very nice and fun to drive got the car at 70k

Road Hunter...
By Mike Z. Marco

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Had a 2003 GT...manual......leather...hunted some bad ass cars on the road with my Mitsubishi 2003...If Mitsubishi makes the exact same car, I would buy it always...

Best Car Under 5k
By peelout

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

You can get these cars for very cheap. They are extremely nice. I got mine for 3,000 from a friend of the family, it could've of easily been sold for 5,000 however. (It's really good condition) Mine has 137,000 miles on it. It's fast, I've gotten it up to 150. It's good on gas. (Unless you shift at 5k RPM like me when im trying to impress my friends -- i can watch the gas gauge go down) 18-25mpg. Please put premium in this car, yes it matters. Look it up. When you're not hot rodding this car, it still turns heads. Very nice looking. If you're worried about your kid hot rodding it like me, get them the 4cyl. This car is great. Do your kid a favor, don't get him a grandma car. get an eclipse.

The leather interior is an amazing feature, the car is very sexy. Some people say that the back seats are not roomy at all, I dont find this to be true, the convertible is supposed to have even less back room, but it's spacious enough. Anyone who says it doesnt have alot of space is probably used to an SUV or something. I'm 5'11 - I keep my seat close to the wheel. Speaking of the leather interior - It is so comfortable. Probably some of the most comfortable seats i've been in. The wheel is also very nice you wont want to put a cover on it. Mitsubishi Makes great engines. Mine has 137k on it, and theres nothing wrong. Even though your 6" from the ground, you wont feel the road. Suspension A+

The alarm doesn't turn off if you start your car. I guess you're supposed to unlock the driver side door with the key, but i'm not very bright, so i didn't try it. Instead i took out my horn fuse and drove down the street with my lights flashing, hahaha. If you're reading this, just remember --unlock the door with the key-- This isn't much of an issue, but it still makes me mad every time : The clutch is just a tad close to the brake. It's only happened to me a couple times, but ill put my foot on the clutch and hit the brake on the way down. I'm sure the issue is with me however.

• SUV